Nest Caravans — Building a new FG trailer, step by step - Page 11 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-30-2014, 08:52 PM   #201

Name: Chuck
Trailer: tp
Washington
You have good trailer builder who ask questions and listens to the consumer. They come out with a better trailer in the end.
FTTRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 10:05 PM   #202

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Colorado
Robert, You are so going to be swamped by "peepers" the first time you roll one of these Nests into a FG rally! Charge a buck a head, and you'll be able to pay off a big chunk of your start-up costs in just your début outing!
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 03:23 PM   #203

Name: Pat
Trailer: 2011 Escape 15a
Minnesota
Very nice! Can't wait to see the final product. My wife and I are already starting to discuss getting a new camper in a few years. Depending on the final price point, the Nest is on the top of the list!
Lv4toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 10:37 AM   #204

Name: Greg
Trailer: Just looking
NC
Robert, That is one "SWEET" camper! I knew you were good based on your Egg Plant Reno's, but this design simply blows me away. I only wish you were closer to North Carolina. Nice job bud!
Old 11-07-2014, 06:38 PM   #205
Commercial Member

Trailer: 1988 Scamp 13 ft and 1982 Perris Pacer 13 ft
Registry
Thanks again for the encouraging comments, folks. Means a lot to us!

For anyone who's been to our website, you will now see only a landing page. As some of you may know we first met, then employed, transportation designer, Bryan Thompson, to improve our trailer design AFTER we launched the website. (Just one of a long string of incidentals that have delayed our progress.) The timing sucked, but the results have been outstanding! Now we are closing in on the completion of our first prototype based upon Bryan's contributions. When finished, we will shoot new photography and rebuild the website.

We've contracted with an aviation windshield manufacturer to produce our front "glass." We built a custom mold that conforms exactly to our shell's proprietary geometry. See attached.

Although the entire interior was pre-designed in CAD, once inside the actual shell body we discovered the need to make many changes to the furniture components. This has required us to cut and fit templates by hand — currently underway. Old school skills still come in handy!
Attached Thumbnails
!HoldingPage.jpg   IMG_0698.JPG  

Robert Johans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 06:44 PM   #206

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Oooooo..... a green windshield, nice!

As much as there are lots of excited folk following on here, I have to imagine you and your team are very excited about what you are building too, Robert.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 07:42 PM   #207

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
I am appreciative that you realize that new school has to
be based upon old school..............LOL

I have gotten into RC plane building and flying and
everytime I fail in flight it's because my builds violate
the rules of flight. But I can mix my new designs with
the old designs (hybrids) and my new radical designs
will fly with the laws of flight integrated.

My radical designs only look radical, but the laws of
flight are old school. I like fooling people with my illusions.
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 07:46 PM   #208
Commercial Member

Registry
Looking for more of your excellent feedback regarding design and options...

Question #1:
If forced to make a choice, where best to provide the most counter space: with the cooktop, or the sink?

Question #2:
How much cooking is actually done inside your compact trailer?

Question #3:
Best 12VDC refrigerator? And by "best" I mean most efficient and nicest looking. (We've recently discovered the Vitrifrigo product line. Beautiful designs, but very expensive. Any one with experience with these refrigerators?)
Attached Thumbnails
DW180-1.jpg  
Old 11-12-2014, 08:28 PM   #209

Registry
1. For me, it would likely depend on the layout. By your question, I assume the cooktop and sink are separate? My first thought would be by the sink, as it is handier for dishes, but could still be used for food prep.

2. For us, likely 10% of the time we cook inside. Mostly if it is very ugly weather outside. Cold does not matter though. Maybe something of a convieniece factor for those of us who prefer the outdoors would be nice.

3. I do not know much about the different quality in brands for 12V fridges, but those Vitrifrigo ones sure do look slick. My preference in a fridge, is a small freezer compartment, with the rest a fridge. I think that one you pictured is half freezer, half fridge, not leaving too much room in an under counter unit for fridge use.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 11-12-2014, 08:29 PM   #210
Commercial Member

Registry
Here's another:

Any opinions on offering a microwave oven as an option? If so, any recommendations as to makes/models?
Old 11-12-2014, 08:40 PM   #211

Registry
No microwave for me. I am mostly off grid. I would rather have the storage space. But, if was just an option, I bet some would like it.
Old 11-12-2014, 09:48 PM   #212

Name: Pat
Trailer: 2011 Escape 15a
Minnesota
Robert:

For what's it worth...

Q1: A sink is a must and I would choose it over a cooktop.

Q2: All of our cooking (other than morning coffee) is done outside. I don't want to deal with the mess and smells of cooking inside.

Q3: no idea on the "best" refrigerator. However, I would want a straight 12v /110v system. Our next camper will be all electric - no propane.

How were you planning to incorporate the A/C unit into the Nest?

Thanks
Pat
Lv4toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 10:18 PM   #213
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
I'd make a cabinet "microwave ready" standard - as in AC there, and make a door for the space optional if the user wanted only storage.

Many are electing to go with combo microwave/convection or toaster ovens instead of a plain micro - which can be picked up for less than $100 anywhere. Why carry the inventory?

Charlie Y

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 10:35 PM   #214
Sid

Name: Sid
Trailer: Parkliner 2014
Wisconsin
Robert
Combining questions #1 & 2.....
Having upgraded from a pop up camper to a fiberglass camper the one thing I do miss is the cooktop that can be transferred from inside to the outside. I could make coffee inside in the morning and cook dinner outside at night freeing up counterspace in the camper.
A more elegant design could be quite the feature!
Sid
Sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 10:50 PM   #215

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Hi Robert,
Q1, a sink
Q2, very little cooking inside
Q3, no expirience with these, I only use LP, but they do seem to have good reviews. I have no idea how the cutout sizes differ between this 12v unit and a 2/3 way unit but it may be a nice option as a number of folks here don't like LP.
Microwave, an automatic option. You get the oven or the storage space as you see your needs or wants. The space used is still the same just trimmed out differently. As far as a certain brand, no preference.
BTW, thanks for asking.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 11:13 PM   #216

Name: Bob
Trailer: Nest??
California
Thanks for the opportunity to provide some feedback. I actually just returned from a quick trip with friends in their Trillium, so have some recent perspective.

1. More counter space near the sink rather than the stove. As noted, it's nice to have room to pile up dirty and clean dishes and the surface can serve as food prep too.

2. We cooked inside quite a bit on the recent trip, and always cooked in our camper van. Eating outside is awesome, but we don't mind cooking inside at all.

3. Vitrifrigo makes an awesome product. Isotherm is another high-end brand that also makes a drawer style unit. Truckfridge makes a cheaper unit. All three use the same danfoss compressor. If I had to pick, I'd go Isotherm. Check out their ASU units - the compressor runs extra-time when there's charge voltage to cool thermal plates to reduce compressor cycling once on battery alone.

4. No microwave - unnecessary power draw without any particular use for our needs.
mtnwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 11:21 PM   #217

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
More space near the sink is what I like. We do all our cooking indoors with an SMEV propane stove, as the glass top can also be used for counter space.
I have owned a Novakool (pictured) as well as a Truckfridge 12 volt only. The Truckfridge has a light inside that I like....they both preform well. We do have a microwave for the first time, but it is easily removed if we would rather have the extra space, but we have plenty of storage elsewhere.
Dave & Paula
Attached Thumbnails
DSC01194.jpg   DSC01382.jpg  

DSC01387.jpg  
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 11:25 PM   #218

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Forgot the microwave picture.
Dave & Paula
Attached Thumbnails
DSC01429.jpg   DSC01419.jpg  

David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 07:18 AM   #219

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Johans View Post
Looking for more of your excellent feedback regarding design and options...

Question #1:
If forced to make a choice, where best to provide the most counter space: with the cooktop, or the sink? I would prefer the extra counter space next to the sink.

Question #2:
How much cooking is actually done inside your compact trailer? Very little "traditional" cooking but lots of mircrowave use if on shore power.

Question #3:
Best 12VDC refrigerator? And by "best" I mean most efficient and nicest looking. (We've recently discovered the Vitrifrigo product line. Beautiful designs, but very expensive. Any one with experience with these refrigerators?) I have no first hand experience but based on availablity, price, and the experiences of others here I plan on purchasing and putting the larger Truckfridge in my Scamp early next year to go with my solar and battery upgrade.
And thanks for asking!
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 09:24 AM   #220

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
#1 - I'd like the extra counter space between the sink & cooktop.
#2 - The only time I cook inside is when the weather forces me.
#3 - I don't care all that much about "Beautiful" design, but I do want a good size freezer, and room for a reasonable amount of stuff. My current refrigerator is 5 cubic feet, and I use the extra room to avoid extra trips to resupply.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote