Never owned a camper - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-16-2016, 08:55 AM   #15
Name: David
Trailer: 2014 13' Scamp -standard w/ front bunk
I will reinforce Carol's caution about the weight associated with transporting bikes. I did a series of tongue weight calculations for my scamp 13 based on different loading scenarios including bikes on rear rack. The numbers made clear that I had to give up my sturdy but heavy yakima rack and invest in the kuat 2 (Carol, I think it may have been an earlier post from you that put me on to the Kuats) . Even with that weight reduction I have to be more careful with other aspects of the load when carrying the bikes in order to keep the tongue weight on the side of safety.

Good luck - you have lot's of fun and adventure ahead of you.

WDavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 10:52 AM   #16
Name: Gordon
Trailer: Scamp
Heat...what's it worth?

One of my favorite additions to my Scamp 13 is an Atwood Everest Star furnace. Camping on a mountain top in Oregon (I'm a forest fire lookout), I used it most every night in the spring and fall. The propane cost about 1 dollar(US) per day and the blower drew about 3 amps (approximately 6-10 amp hours per night). BUT,...feeling that warm air blowing around ALWAYS put a smile on my face! Luxurious! I really appreciate having a warm home.

Assuming that you will always have a place to "plug in" will severely limit your camping options, especially in the western US. And those places that provide electricity are not cheap. Far more than a dollar per day.

Stay Warm,

Gordon in Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 02:10 PM   #17
Trailer: 2002 13 ft Scamp
North Dakota
Since I'm always going to camp in places with electricity, I've had excellent luck with a small space heater that I got at the thrift store for $5. More often than not, I have to shut it off after a short time because it heats things up so well.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Karen B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 02:33 PM   #18
Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 Std
In your situation, I would try emij's approach for a season. If it works for your camping style, then fine. And if you find yourself needing something to keep warm off-grid, then you can explore other options.

I find a ceramic heater safe, quiet, compact, with steady, even heat. Costs a bit more, but worth it IMO. I used one in a previous RV.

That said, I like the furnace in our Scamp. Don't need it often, but it's sure nice when we do.

LP options include an in-cabinet RV furnace like the one Scamp supplies, an under-floor Propex heater, and a non-vented catalytic heater, such as the Wave 3. A Google site search will turn up numerous threads on the ins and outs of each.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 08:51 AM   #19
Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
decide where your going to camp mostly. we tend to camp where there is power. since the very effective propane furnace is a bit noisy,,,and it cycles too hot,,then too cold,,,i find a ceramic cube heater a better option. we rarely use our furnace. the electric cube is quiet, automatic, and cheap,,,,,you already pay for the hookup,,,why not use it.

the only dry camoing I do is sans wife,,,she has a ceramic addiction....
if its really cold I kick the furnace on, but mostly just use a sleeping bag instead.

so my answer is,,,if it doesn't have a furnace...go without for awhile,,,you may decide storage space is more important. oh,,,another option is an electric blanket. 120vlt for hookups...a 12 volt dc bunk warmer you can get at most truck stops,,,for battery only power
Do not neglect to show hospitality to strangers, for by doing so, some have entertained angels unaware.
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 04:26 PM   #20
Name: Mitzi
Trailer: LilSnoozy ordered
The editor in chief at recommends a 200 watt spaceheater. He mainly uses it under his desk when he's working but he has almost a 30 ft trailer. Robot Check
I think it would be probably do quite well in a 13 or 16 footer.

Being an ulltralite camper and having taken my Boy Scouts camping in the NW GA MOuntains in the snow, I am looking at JUST THIS + fleece socks and balaclava and a thin layer of petroleum jelly prior to bed. Petroleum jelly is my go-to for cold weather camping. The First Nationers used bear grease topically to help keep warm, the Inuit used blubber topically for the same (and I read the tale of a kayaker who got capsized and rescued and the rescuers old grandmother greased him down with white stuff. He asked what it was, thinking secret Inuit blubber and herbs recipe and she said "Crisco") But I'll let DH run the 200 watt space heater. ;-0
"The island is not sinking!" Eric the Viking
Mitzi Agnew-Giles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 04:29 PM   #21
Name: Mitzi
Trailer: LilSnoozy ordered
John Warren- you and I like the same kind of camping!

"The island is not sinking!" Eric the Viking
Mitzi Agnew-Giles is offline   Reply With Quote