Never owned a camper - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-14-2016, 10:31 PM   #1

Name: Derek
Trailer: In the market
Wyoming
Never owned a camper

Hi, I've been looking at a Scamp 13 2008. The one I'm looking at is pretty much as basic as you can get. I'm thinking about putting in a furnace. Should I go through Scamp and buy one from them ($350ish), or are there after market ones that are better? Cheaper? Can I get away with just using a space heater? I probably won't be camping much colder than 30 degrees at night for a while.
Also, I was planning on putting a 2" receiver on the back of the scamp for my bike rack. Has anyone had any expirience doing this. Scamp's receiver is $140 which I thought was pretty reasonable. Your thoughts and suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Derek

Old 03-14-2016, 10:34 PM   #2

Name: Bill
Trailer: 2016 Scamp 13 Deluxe Birch w/front dinette
Wisconsin
Registry
Derek..how much is the camper

Derek,

You cant really go wrong with a 13 ft'r. Depening on what you are planning..primitive? You may not even need a furnace.

If it's clean..and a good price...snap it up..they don't stay around for long.

(2) Big Green Eggs for cooking..(1) Egg for camping
BillE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 11:10 PM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Never owned a camper

The Scamp receiver kit requires some significant installation. An additional frame cross member has to be welded under the rear of the cabin. L-brackets are welded to the frame member and the bumper. Then the receiver tube is welded to the brackets. Not knowing any better, I went that route. By the time I paid for the kit from Scamp, shipping to AZ, and labor for a local welder to do the install it ended up being pretty pricey.

As an alternative, there is a bolt-on Scamp receiver here. Shipping is about half what I paid and you can do the install yourself. I wish I had known about this product at the time. That was before I joined this forum, so I was groping in the dark!

You will need to be very careful to maintain adequate tongue weight with bicycles on the back, or you can get dangerous sway. No water in the tank, and all heavy stuff forward.
Old 03-15-2016, 01:15 AM   #4

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
I purchased the bolt on hitch the Jon posted the link to. The hitch is made my a member here at his shop and it is VERY well made and was packaged really well when shipped to me with very clear instructions although I had Escape Trailers install it for me on my Scamp 16'.

Been on the trailer for a few years now and has had lots of use with no problems. As Jon says though you need to watch the weight on the rear and I would not load heavy mountain bikes on the back of a Scamp. Also watch the weight of the rack you use as well. I ended up with a 2 bike Kuat rack as it was the lightest I could find at the time - 11lbs I already own a couple of other rather pricey racks but they are much heavier. Although the Kuat is light it is very well made a the most stable of all the racks I have owned.

Carol
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 07:58 AM   #5

Name: Frederick / Janis
Trailer: Previously Scamp 13 2002,2016. Scamp 16 on order
Michigan
If the unit has no furnace, I'd go another route than having Scamp install the factory type.

Choices include an electric cube when on shore power (absolutely everyone does this) to the Mr Buddy type heaters on small propane bottles. In fact, we're not going to even bother paying the high price for the factory furnace on our new ordered unit. We just came off of 62 consectutive nights in our 13' and never once ran the noisy factory furnace. So? No more of paying $$$$$ for something we just don't use. YMMV

I also agree that if you know where a clean, dry, no leaking, no floor rot (look EVERYHWERE under hatches, especially in left rear under water tank) used unit it, off market, you need to snap it up. These can sell literally in an hour once they hit the market place.
Old 03-15-2016, 08:55 AM   #6

Name: Emily
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16 Layout 7
Colorado
Registry
We are just using a cube style electric heater for shoulder season camping. During the warmer months, we camp mostly without hookups, but last fall when we wanted to camp and knew the temps would be getting into the low 30's, we just made sure to go where we could plug in. Our little cube warmed the Scamp up in about five minutes and it has a thermostat, so it could click on and off as needed. But with four people in a little camper, it barely ran all night!
Old 03-15-2016, 09:54 AM   #7

Name: kacey
Trailer: Former scamp owner
Wisconsin
Heat in scamp

We have a scamp fifth wheel and have been fulltiming this winter, coldest nite in tennessee was 19 deg and we use only a little ceramic heater and good comforters The rigs are surprisingly well insulated and propane is expensivve so use the 110 if available!
Old 03-15-2016, 10:25 AM   #8

Name: Patrick
Trailer: R-Vision Trail Lite
New York
Considering the size of the trailer I'd just get a good thermostatically regulated portable electric heater at Walmart (cost under $30). I have a 26ft travel trailer and even though mine has a factory propane furnace with a thermostat I still only use the electric unit whenever I'm at a campground with hookups.
If you normally camp with hookups at campgrounds the electric will do the job.
Old 03-15-2016, 10:49 PM   #9

Wyoming
Alright, thanks for all your responses. What about a screen door. Is my only option to go through Scamp? I know they make some cool retractable screen doors for your home nowadays. Has anyone figured out how to put them on campers??
Old 03-15-2016, 10:54 PM   #10

Name: Bill
Trailer: 2016 Scamp 13 Deluxe Birch w/front dinette
Wisconsin
Registry
Scamp now uses a roll up screen door

Derek

Scamp uses a roll up screen door now
Attached Thumbnails
screen closed.jpg   Screen open.jpg  

(2) Big Green Eggs for cooking..(1) Egg for camping
BillE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 07:29 AM   #11

Wyoming
Ahh, very nice. Thanks.
Old 03-16-2016, 08:42 AM   #12

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
But, of course, the Scamp door is a non-standard size, so I guess you'd probably have to order through Scamp. If you are somewhat handy, you could build a bi-fold door (like Scamp used for several decades) from hardware store stock far cheaper than the retractable door from Scamp.
Old 03-16-2016, 09:26 AM   #13

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Bigfoot B-17 CB
Washington
I use my propane furnace when I do not have shore power which, for me means lots of the time. I'm guessing the furnace price you got from Scamp is not an installed price. Installing a furnace is a big project, Cutting a large hole in the exterior of the trailer and modifying interior cabinetry are major projects. Adding the necessary propane supply line is also a challenge. If you always have shore power available, you probably don't need a furnace. A furnace also requires lots of battery power to run the blower so solar becomes important too.
Old 03-16-2016, 09:48 AM   #14

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack L View Post
I use my propane furnace when I do not have shore power which, for me means lots of the time. I'm guessing the furnace price you got from Scamp is not an installed price. Installing a furnace is a big project, Cutting a large hole in the exterior of the trailer and modifying interior cabinetry are major projects. Adding the necessary propane supply line is also a challenge. If you always have shore power available, you probably don't need a furnace. A furnace also requires lots of battery power to run the blower so solar becomes important too.
I don't dispute it can be expensive, but I don't have a large hole in the side of my Scamp for the furnace. It's only for the vent and about the size of a dollar bill. Now, the refrigerator... that's a large cut out on the side and another one on the roof.

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote