never underestimate your value - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 12-22-2006, 09:40 PM   #15

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
Yes, the business does have to pay all of the support staff, and the rent on the property, and the utility bills, and the cost of maintaining the equipment, and buying new or replacement equipment, and consumable supplies, and salary for staff when they are on paid holidays or working on non-billable activities, and benefits for the staff... and maybe leave something in return for the owner's investment.
Brian, my point was tongue-in-cheek....the point being, the "bill" covers more than just the person doing the actual work.

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 09:48 PM   #16

Trailer: 1987 17 ft Burro

I wanted a receptacle in the front of the Burro - so I could plug in a LAMP. $170.00
I know, under the sink, over the refrigerator, under the stovetop -still, the lamp was only $15.00 on EBAY!! If my cookie oven works in that same plug without blowing a fuse I will be so happy Merry Christmas, Christi

Old 12-23-2006, 02:00 PM   #17

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Quote:
Brian, my point was tongue-in-cheek....the point being, the "bill" covers more than just the person doing the actual work.
Exactly. Sorry if I'm a little sensitive about this one, Donna, but it seems about as popular to accuse businesses of excessive charges as it is to assume that governments are inefficient and corrupt. The (intended to be humourous) exaggeration of pay versus charge and earlier comments about padding an almost $400 bill to cover $10 in fuel, and overcharging select customers (RV owners, retired people) fired me up a bit, too.

Like Suz, I am willing to pay for work, but irritated by substandard work. I think my Toyota dealership's service manager is trying to forget that I exist, since he has had to spend more time resolving my complaints than it would have taken his staff to just do the routine service work competently in the first place; I'll pay the fair market rate, but demand to get what I am paying for.

I'm in roughly the same position as Roger, now paying for some things I would have done myself before. Sometimes that cash savings of do-it-yourself just do not justify the time and effort, if the money is available.

I think do-it-yourself work and our trailers are an especially good match because most of us don't really need the trailer and thus have the luxury of doing when we want, and because much of the work is non-standard - the sort of thing which would otherwise take a lot of explanation to the shop staff, and might result in something not quite like what we wanted.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 02:04 PM   #18

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
In addition to Harvey's suggestion, if your 1998 or later vehicle is trying to tell you something is wrong, and you have neither OnStar nor a free check service available, it might be worth buying an OBD II code reader for $100 or so; this is an industry standard, so the same one works for all makes. In combination with various web sites for interpretation, it will give you the same information which the service shops get, which will at least allow an informed decision when taking the vehicle in for repair. Even better is to borrow one from friend, of course.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 04:55 PM   #19

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
...because much of the work is non-standard - the sort of thing which would otherwise take a lot of explanation to the shop staff, and might result in [b]something not quite like what we wanted.
Exactly!
When you are plugging in the same components to the same assemblies over and over again on an assembly line, the labor cost of each assembly is reduced.

Repair work, however is a more painstaking task, similar to creating the original prototype, and therefore, much more expensive.