New 19' Escape Trailer Coming Soon!!!! - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2008, 05:52 AM   #61

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Maybe Reace and Tammy can come up with a two bedroom model? That would be perfect.

baglo
I think with the larger bed up front in the 19' could be considered a 2 bedroom, put a curtain in front of both beds and their you go
Rob M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 01:34 PM   #62

Name: Dave & Kathie
Trailer: 2013 Escape 21
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Am I the only one who liked the original concept?
I like the original design if it were flipped with the bed in the back so you'd have those nice windows. Would also like to see the bed be able to convert to a dinette for those times when you are entertaining indoors or just need a bigger work space.

Kathie

Dave and Kathie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 03:05 PM   #63

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
I like the original design if it were flipped with the bed in the back so you'd have those nice windows. Would also like to see the bed be able to convert to a dinette for those times when you are entertaining indoors or just need a bigger work space.

Kathie
Looks like Reace and Tammy have posted the 19 footer on the Escape web site... and if the diagram has been finalized for layout it looks like the bed is in the back.
Escape Trailer Web Site
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 06:02 PM   #64

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Attachment 15428

Sorry.....I shrunk it down a bit so it can be viewed.

Reace
Can you put an exterior hatch in the back so that long toys (Kayaks, Surfboards) get be stored inside the trailer during travel? It is very difficult lifting kayaks onto the roof of tow vehicles or trailers.

Jay
Jay Moeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 06:52 PM   #65

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Can you put an exterior hatch in the back so that long toys (Kayaks, Surfboards) get be stored inside the trailer during travel? It is very difficult lifting kayaks onto the roof of tow vehicles or trailers.

Jay
I think the spare tire would be in the way.
Anyway, I tied the canoe to the top of the tent trailer, once. I realized when I got to the campground that I had to take it off to raise the trailer and I would have to put it atop the tow vehicle to take it to the launch site in any case. I figure it makes more sense and less work to use the tow vehicle to transport those toys.

baglo
Old 09-07-2008, 10:56 PM   #66
Commercial Member

Trailer: Escape Manufacturer
I don't understand what is wrong with the sideways bed....doesn't it promote a little romance during the trip!

Jay....rather than a storage hatch, how about a hinged, full opening rear window?

Reace
Reace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 09:56 AM   #67

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Deluxe ('The White House')
Hi Mark -

Another thing to consider is the 5th wheel. Escape and Scamp both make those units. You get the overall length of the 19' er in a more compact unit - no tongue. ALL 19 feet are "usable". Dunno what you will pull with.. that may be a factor - but then any unit will have similar weight issues. Plus the "upstairs" bedroom gives everyone a little more privacy if you have more than just couple.

We ended up deciding on the Scamp 5th. Tammy and Reece make a QUALITY unit. But in thte end, **for us** the choice was Scamp.

Warmest regards, and happy trails!!!

Quote:
Hi,

My wife Kathy and I are trying to decide on a new trailer. I'm new to this forum and have spoken with Tammy at Escape Trailers about the new 19 ft trailer. Right now, the Escape looks better to us than anything else we've looked at: Casita, Oliver, Bigfoot.

We are seriously considering the 19 ft. But this point you make -- whether we will restrict ourselves from many camp sites because of the length -- is something that concerns me.

We *could* be OK in the smaller bed in the 17 ft, but would be happier with the queen bed in the 19 ft. The difference in the size of the dinette is not a factor. Towing weight and size are also not factors. So it's the queen bed in the 19 ft versus a smaller size and presumably more accessible camp sites in the 17 ft. The 19 ft also has the towing advantages of the tandem axles.

We don't have any experience trying to camp with an RV, we've always tent camped. When I do a web search, the length restrictions seem to be varied. I don't see anything that says "any tent space can also be used by a 17 or smaller trailer".

E. Graham, I'm sure you're right that this is sometimes the case. But do you or others have a feeling for how many camp grounds we'll lose out on, if we get the 19 ft versus the 17 ft? What's your experience?

I also have a question for Reace: Will the 19 ft have less ground clearance, because of the 13" tires? We would like to take our trailer on dirt roads in the desert and there are occasionally wash outs, so more clearance is a positive thing for us.

Thanks in advance,
--mark
Weinel, Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 10:14 AM   #68

Trailer: TrailManor (Gone to the Darkside)
Quote:
I don't understand what is wrong with the sideways bed....doesn't it promote a little romance during the trip!

Reace

Course - if that's the intent - better make sure it comes with the heavy duty stabilizer jacks.

Having your spouse crawl over you to get to the bathroom isn't really all that romantic...

There's absolutely no doubt that the sideways bed is a more efficient use of space. Uses up less space, can be converted to a big dinette etc. For some, that sacrifice is worth the benefit however. I know it's a feature that my wife would really push for. She's always pointed them out enviously in the big-box trailers when we've gone browsing at the shows. She really doesn't like being shoved up against the wall to sleep - and doesn't like me crawling over her (to get to the bathroom) at night either.

Mike
Mike Watters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 10:30 AM   #69

Trailer: Escape 19 ft
Thanks everyone for the replies. I'm starting to feel comfortable that the 19 ft will not lock us out of too many campsites.

The 5th wheel that would be very nice but my truck is too high -- I've got a new Chevy diesel and the rails are 55" off the ground. With the side rails I've installed (and I don't want to remove them) it's 59".

Obviously we could pull a much larger trailer or 5th wheel, but we like the smaller, narrow trailers for maneuverability, ease of parking, more campsites accessible, less wind resistance, better fuel economy. So I think the 19 ft is a really good compromise. We get all these benefits, and a queen bed too!

We're lucky I guess on the side-to-side bed. Only one of us needs to get up in the middle of the night.

Reace, do you have any thoughts on the 19 ft versus the 17 ft for dirt roads, wash outs, etc? I don't know if the 19 ft will have less ground clearance because of the 13" tires. But I guess the tandem axle would reduce bottoming out. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
--mark
Mark Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 03:00 PM   #70

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Deluxe ('The White House')
Mike -

We have a new F-150 and the sides are in the same 55" range. Scamp added a lift to the frame so it will work. But I do NOT have the extras on the sides - mine is stock. Agree 59" is a wee bit much.

You know, once you do the research for YOU and YOUR situation, the "right" answer often floats to the top, and it then becomes a no-brainer.

Also, don't know your time frame, but w/ the announcement of the Escape / Trillium alliance, you MAY be able to get pricing in $US instead of $CAN. Removes the currency risk between decision date and payment date. Also, if you can arrange a Carson City pickup, that would help you lots. So, maybe holding off till things shake out is a choice....

Weinel, Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 03:21 PM   #71

Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft / Dodge 3500HD 4X4 Jake Brake
Quote:
I think the spare tire would be in the way.
Anyway, I tied the canoe to the top of the tent trailer, once. I realized when I got to the campground that I had to take it off to raise the trailer and I would have to put it atop the tow vehicle to take it to the launch site in any case. I figure it makes more sense and less work to use the tow vehicle to transport those toys.

baglo
Click image for larger version

Name:	Canoe.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	187.8 KB
ID:	15627

I agree; carrying the canoe on the tow makes it easier to take it down to the water. Also, a side benefit is (it seems to me) it helps move the wind over the truck going down the road for better mileage.

There are several schools of thought about length. Some RV parks require a RV 25' or larger. Some Forestry sites have a limit of 25' maximum. I have also seen a maximum of 22'.

So, as you can see we chose 25' for the most bang for the buck for our Full Timing needs/goals.

The question is, "How are you going to use your trailer, how often are you going to use it and where do you like to go?" We like to Boondock, and we like to camp in Forestry camps like the one in the photo above.
Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 05:57 PM   #72

Trailer: 81 Trillium 5500 (Pearl)
It is really great to see some new fiberglass coming. I like the floor plans but would like to echo the sentiments about a fore/aft bed or twin beds. If you get up and down at different times the current bed is not fun. I love the floor plan of our trillium 5500 except that the rear bed is not wide enough. We had a mattress specially made and I like using real sheets on the bed but it is difficult for me to climb on it to put them on.

We are also changing the front dinette area so that we can add a comfortable chair. The dinette seats get uncomfortable when you can't be outside.

Kathy
Kathy & Doug Roach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 07:25 PM   #73

Trailer: Bigfoot 21ft (25B21RB)
EXCELLENT
Phil Underwood is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
escape