New 5th soon - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-17-2008, 06:24 PM   #1

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via MSN to Coach George Jessup
Wink

Long time no see. Much has happend in my quest. Im sure 99% of you dont remember me so here is a short run down.

Building Unimog Camper. Bought gutted scamp w/intent to mount it as a camper box on the flat bed. Project forced on hold but still collecting pieces and parts.

Thats it in a nut shell.

Changes:

. I decided to pull trailer instead of mounting a camper box for long travels. Go smaller bed tent for short or more rugged terrain.
. Moved West and a little north to TX
. buying a 5th scamp for cheap
. selling my gutted 13 scamp once I clear my stuff out. Maybe be months.
. bought a biz (ntacrosports.com)

Plan as of now. remove 5th axle. Transplant the whole Scamp ontop of my military trailer w/20" Military tires to match truck height.

One question.... to accomidate for offroad bopping around, shakes and shimmies etc..... wonder if it might be best to keep Scamp trailer's suspension intact and mount suspension to military trailer frame some how. Simplest would be Fab in uprights with holes that match Scamp lug nuts pattern, remove tires and bolt onto trailer using these. And/Or maybe use something like Big rig Air ride cab mounts to mount scamp to Military trailer??? Just trying to prevent shaking a trailer appart. Open to suggestions.

Picture is a sample of my plans for the Unimog. Box behind cab will be built from a sliced and diced Mac Truck sleeper cab I got for 300 bucks. It will be for other passengers. My fab skills are not good enough to stretch a cab.
Attached Thumbnails
wboxdraw_phixrBed.jpg  
Coach George Jessup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 03:16 PM   #2

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
George, I think you're largely in uncharted territory for most of us.

I'll tell you that the Dexter or Al-Ko axle under the Scamp gives a pretty cushy ride, and I'm not sure how the Scamp will hold up mounted onto a military trailer with a hard spring stack. I'm not even sure how you'd properly anchor it, or that the frame would hold up under that kind of beating (or the body for that matter). I don't know what you'd mount the air ride suspension bags to on the trailer either. It'll certainly be an interesting exercise.

I think your original idea of mounting it to the truck chassis may have been better.

Maybe buying an old military box trailer and putting an RV interior into it might work better.

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 03:21 PM   #3

Quote:
George, I think you're largely in uncharted territory for most of us....

Maybe buying an old military box trailer and putting an RV interior into it might work better.

Roger
Thanks Roger. Good input. As to old Military Box trailer; way to heavy for a 1962 Mog with only a 125hp 5cyl turbo diesel transplant.
Old 02-19-2008, 07:25 PM   #4

Trailer: 1999 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe ('Inn EggsIsle')
my brother was a mog fan before he died in 03
Attached Thumbnails
Limo_Unimog.jpg   Plowing_Unimog.jpg  

Old 02-21-2008, 01:59 PM   #5

Quote:
my brother was a mog fan before he died in 03
I assume those are just random Mog photos you got and not saying these are two he owned. That wagon is one of two in the world if Im not mistaken.
Old 03-19-2008, 08:48 PM   #6

Well its offical. I bought the 5er today!!!! 1983 Scamp w/side bath (if you can call a porta poty a bath) It was sort of an unofficial done deal before, but no money had changed hands, and you know.... "done" aint really done till welllll... its DONE.

It will need a good bit of cleaning up but thats about it except for fitting it with new axle and 39"" tall tires. No Im not kidding. Thats much further down the road though. Now it will be a temporary home. Hopefully as a temp home for only a Month or two at most.

Sell price. $1,000 buy price.... $1,000.

Figured it was a VERY fair price and it seemed like the old man and his wife could use a little help with them having mostly limited fixed income resources. Real nice folk.

Still $1,000 was pretty painfull for me since I have NO INCOME and dont expect any till maybe Jan. 09. But not as bad as expected when I first made the decision to buy this Scamp. That was before finding the land I just bought for my new tiny home. (12'x16' cabin) Found the land at a killer deal at many thousands of dollars less than I was expecting to shell out. Been sleeping on floor of my new biz since Aug. 07

Sooooo that means I will have a gutted Boler for sale here in a few months. A search back for post in here in 06 will pull up a few things on the old trailer I first bought for my camper project. I didn't know it was a Boler back then though.
Old 03-21-2008, 12:29 AM   #7

Trailer: Quest I
Ah the Mogs are awsome, looks like a great build or project... have done some building and wheelin before myself, with a tent trailer built to go wherever I went. A thought on your fifth would be to remove the factory suspension and mount the whole frame onto your military frame, I think the air bags would be the best isulator. I've seen lots of shocks on trailers though too.
don't forget to post some pics of the transformation... This was my last wheeler.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Imgp1100__Small_.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	12142
Ian S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 05:31 AM   #8

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
I don't know how to get in touch with him, but Bruce from San Angelo is registered to attend this year's Bluebonnet. We got to see his off road "Casita" last year and it is similar to your ideas. I'll get his email address for you if you can't attend. Here is a link to Lindy's photo of Bruce's rig.

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/27215...054322218JVGtgw

Tom Trostel