New again, just curious... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-21-2013, 04:37 PM   #1

Name: Bob
Trailer: Teardrop
Virginia
New again, just curious...

Several years ago, I was an active member here, sold the 16' Casita a long time ago and went back to a Tear Drop. Now I am looking for a Scamp 19', 5th wheel.

My question, is the Queen bed up front really big/comfortable for someone 6'2". That is why I sold my Casita, I had to sleep diagonally!

Bob
Spotman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:19 PM   #2

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
I'm sure some 5'er owners will chime in soon, but I just wondered if you've seen the Li'l Snoozy? It has an honest-to-goodness queen bed in front!
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:33 PM   #3

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
I'm 6', and touch both sides. I fit, but that's it.

Some owners on here have done some extensive mods to lay the other way. That seems like way too much work to me, and I want to keep my couch/bunkbeds.

I'm getting a second cushion made to lay on top of the top bunk and make it the same height as the bed. Then you can lay the other way, have plenty of room, and still have a usable bottom bunk (and even a top bunk if need be, by removing the cushion, although you're back to being scrunched up the other way in the main bed).

During the day, you throw that cushion on the bed, drop the bunk back down, and have your couch to use.

Very simple, and relatively cheap fix.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:48 PM   #4

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
I'm only 5'9". I spent several nights in mine last summer with my significant other crawling over each other and I can't wait to do the bed modification. It is only the two of us so I have no use for the gaucho/bunk bed. If I had others traveling with us I might try to live with it. However, as short as I am I constantly touched the sides. I did buy a memory foam topper for it and that made the cushions livable.
Steve Hammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:07 PM   #5

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Have you taken a look at the Escape 5.0 it has a front to back bed up in the loft .
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:17 PM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
The loft bed in the Escape 5.0 front to back is 60" X 78"

Have you looked at a Casita Liberty? It makes into a king or with a mod, two singles that sleep front to back.

The Lil Snoozy and Escape 19 both have queen beds, but you still have that crawl over scenerio. Some consider that fun

The mods that folks are talking about for the Scamp 5er, only works for a sidebath model and that bathroom is tiny but useable... I think it would be something you'd really need to see for yourself.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:19 PM   #7

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
There are 2 types of Scamp 5Rs. We had the front bath where there was a wall that separated 1/2 of the bed area from the bottom half. I'm 6ft and slept at an angle to keep from having my head and feet from touching each side. This did not bother us as there is enough room to do this.

With The Side bath the bed area is totally open to the bottom part and some on this forum have made extensions so taller people could sleep with the head to the front and feet to the extension.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:40 PM   #8

Name: Bob
Trailer: Teardrop
Virginia
Thanks for the reply, this is a 2004 I am interested in. They are asking $12,000 or best offer, but I have to get a hitch. That is the other problem, I read where some vehicles are not suited for it, I have a Tundra 4x4, and read bad things about the beds or size?? Any help here? It has all wood, maxed out inside, awning missing, front shower.

Bob
Spotman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:37 PM   #9

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2019 Toyota Tundra
Iowa
Registry
We have a Tundra. The big one. Took out the bar hitch and put in a reese modified. You will have to have the 5ver lifted to get over the rails which is nice if you go places you shouldn't.
Cyndi B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:04 PM   #10

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spotman View Post
Thanks for the reply, this is a 2004 I am interested in. They are asking $12,000 or best offer, but I have to get a hitch. That is the other problem, I read where some vehicles are not suited for it, I have a Tundra 4x4, and read bad things about the beds or size?? Any help here? It has all wood, maxed out inside, awning missing, front shower.

Bob
Bob

Which Tundra?
The new huge one or the pre-07 smaller one?

Also what do you mean "read bad things about the beds or size"?

Ed
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:20 PM   #11

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
It's not a fiver, but the Parkliner has a queen bed...6' 10" of width back there! And 6'5" of headroom when you're standing up. Link to site.

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:38 AM   #12

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
ok, i am all about scamp,, but, considering your size,,have you seen the "egg" camper? made and sold out of grandville, near grandrapids michigan.
it was designed by and for a guy thats about 6ft5 and might be your exact fit,,,,,(no pun inten,,,no wait,,,yes i had every intention of a pun)
Old 01-24-2013, 09:36 AM   #13

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
The Egg Camper is both a little taller and wider inside to accommodate taller people. It can be had all electric if you want it that way. Ours is.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:56 AM   #14

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
I have to echo what is being said about the EggCamper.
They are really roomy inside.
I have been in Bobs and others too now and I am still surprised each time by the feel inside being so much roomier than any other I have been in except maybe the BigFoot.
They are also lower to the ground I think which I am not sure I really like but the room inside is amazing.

On the other hand if you want the 5th wheel,you want the 5th wheel which I also understand.

When I was looking at them actively the factory told me that a Ford Shortbed 2wd PU was about the perfect tow for them and had a great balance of power and size about perfect for the 19er at the time which was around 2008 I think.
I even found a trailer and then bought a Ford Shortbed PU and was ready to drive across country to get the trailer when the seller sold it out from under an agreement we had made and then I was stuck with the truck!

Go Figure?
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:18 PM   #15

Name: Thom
Trailer: Chevy AWD Van Conversion
Astoria Oregon
Registry
My wife and i had two rv's that had beds going side to side. Second one reinforced the dislike of the need to crawl in/out over your partner. We always slept with cari on the asile side since she makes more nightly runs than my one-to-none...that said...our current rig, and ANY future rig(s) will have back to front arrangement. so much easier!

For what it's worth, i would do whatever mods one thinks will create a north/south, front/back bed situation.

... on the home front...our 38ft 5'ver has more room in its master suite than the Parkliner from hitch to bumper!
Archive: Parkliner #35 build thread
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:32 PM   #16

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19' /2010 Honda Pilot 4WD TV
Escondido, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
The Lil Snoozy and Escape 19 both have queen beds, but you still have that crawl over scenerio. Some consider that fun
...I sure do!