New Airstream - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2006, 10:51 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I know this is not FG but looks cute.Any body seen one.
http://www.uncrate.com/men/gear/outdoor/ni...iler-000954.php
Old 06-04-2006, 02:16 AM   #2

Trailer: 2004 Bigfoot 17 ft ('Beastie')
Registry
Chester,

I've not seen one but they have appeared in Trailer Life. The May issue has an article Airstream Anniversary Innovations starting on page 51. Apparently can carry toys like motorcycle, ATV, surfboard or kayak. Cabinetry and appliances can be added ala carte. Another option is a Kelty tent extension. "Under $20K", but probably not by much. This is cutting-edge design art. I think I'll stick with Casita!
BobB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 05:17 AM   #3

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
I am always fascinated that the more things change, the more they stay the same. Here are a couple of photos of the oldest known surviving "Airstream" built in 1935 by Doctor Norman W. Holman Sr. from plans published by Wally Byam, the founder of Airstream. Can you see any similarities to the new Basecamp? Oh, and the Basecamp starts at $19,995!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Doc_Holman_sm1.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	3354

Name:	Doc_Holman_sm4.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	3355

Name:	Doc_Holman_sm3.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	3356

Name:	Doc_Holman_sm2.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	3357

Name:	basecamp_1.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	19.6 KB
ID:	3358

Name:	basecamp_2.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	19.2 KB
ID:	3359

Name:	basecamp_3.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	15.8 KB
ID:	3360

Name:	basecamp_4.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	19.3 KB
ID:	3361

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 07:20 AM   #4

Trailer: 2004 Bigfoot 17 ft ('Beastie')
Registry
Roger,

Great pictures! Great comparison! Really demonstrates the source of inspiration for the design.
BobB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 07:56 AM   #5

Trailer: 1968 Venture (Molded Fiberglass 19 ft Class A Motorhome) and 82 TranStar B+
Send a message via AIM to Penny Taylor Send a message via Yahoo to Penny Taylor
I wonder how much the 1935 one cost ?
Penny Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 08:28 AM   #6

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
This is an excerpt from Dr. Holman's obituary in 2002:

Quote:
In 1935 Dr. Holman, Sr. bought plans for five dollars for a travel trailer from the Airstream Trailer Company From these plans he built a trailer that was declared by Airstream in their publication "Caravaner" in the spring of 1984 as the oldest known Airstream trailer in the world. Wally Byam, the founder of the Airstream Co., formed a travel club called Wally Byam Caravan Club International (WBCCI). Dr. Holman, Sr., was a member of the club and attended his first rally in 1947.
He attended the international, regional, state and local rallies when he could. The WBCCI developed a sub-club known as the Vintage Airstream Club (VAC). In October, 1955, the WBCCI and VAC presented two plaques to Dr. Holman, Sr., The Oldest Existing Airstream Trailer, and Honorary membership to the VAC for life. Dr. Holman Sr. and his Airstream 1935 Torpedo were honored five times in five years by winning the first place Concours D'Elegance Award at International Rallies of the WBCCI and VAC competing with up to 2000 trailers and each win was in a different category The awards were as follows: 1. 1997 (Huntsville, Al.) Best of Show 2. 1998 (Boise, Id) Oldest One Owner and Bright Ideas-Most Innovative 3. 1999 (Dayton, Oh), No win 4. 2000 (Bismarck, ND) Oldest Original Owner and 5. 2001 (Sioux Falls, SD) Best in Class-1930's Decade. The most interesting of these awards was the 1998 win for "Bright Ideas-Most Innovative". He combined an electrically powered marine bilge pump with a pressure operated pin valve used in agricultural water systems in 1937 to perfect the first practical "water on demand" water system for his trailer powered by an automobile battery This innovation preceded the industry by 23 years. It was adopted as a standard by Airstream in 1960 and, subsequently, by industry as a whole for the recreational vehicle market, boating market and others. He regretted the fact that he failed to patent his system.
Dr. Holman, Sr., became a celebrity in his last years. He was filmed in Ozark in 1994 by the British Broadcasting Company (BBC) for a program in a series named "Perpetual Motion'. He has been interviewed and filmed dozens of
times at international, regional, and state rallies for prime time TV news broadcasts. In 1999, he and his trailer were filmed at Dayton, Ohio by the Discovery Channel. This program was aired on the Travel Channel (Discovery Channel Affiliate) in February, 2000.
I met Drs. Holman Sr. and Jr. at the 2001 WBCCI International Rally in Sioux Falls S.D. and shot the photos of Dr. Holman's Airstream I posted above. If memory serves, he told me it cost him about $600 to build the trailer in 1935...

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 10:17 AM   #7

Trailer: 2007 Casita Liberty Deluxe 17 ft / Honda Odyssey
Another article, bigger picture: http://www.retrothing.com/2006/04/airstream_basec.html
Patrick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 10:24 AM   #8

Trailer: 1968 Venture (Molded Fiberglass 19 ft Class A Motorhome) and 82 TranStar B+
Send a message via AIM to Penny Taylor Send a message via Yahoo to Penny Taylor
Roger, that is so interesting. Thank you for sharing. Penny
Penny Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 12:36 AM   #9

Trailer: 1985 Scamp 16 ft
I wonder if we all wouldn't feel warmer towards the Basecamp if it was made of fiberglass? Personally, I applaud Airstream for producing the first fresh idea in small trailers in, oh, several decades, I'd guess. It would be a handy thing, even if it is just a horse trailer with a designer kitchen. It's just the perfect decor for those Brokeback barbeques that cowboys are having these days ;>

Too bad about the price. But what's the top end for egg trailers now, $15K? I wouldn't know, I'm in the other end of the market.

Last night I checked the Airstream forum to hear more about the Basecamp, but it was pretty quiet. Nobody's received one, and few have kicked the tires. It's still somewhere between a prototype and production, I think. I was surprised, though, to read much discussion about the company's lax QC in recent years. A wall cabinet falling onto the bed on the way to delivery, for example. There seemed general agreement that it wasn't like the good old days anymore.
John Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 04:32 PM   #10

Trailer: 2007 Casita Liberty Deluxe 17 ft / Honda Odyssey
Someone over at the Honda Element forum posted on the Basecamp so I grabbed the brochure for a look. The back comes off to insert an ATV or attaching the optional tent.
Attached Thumbnails
basecamp.jpg  
Patrick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 05:47 PM   #11

Trailer: 1986 U-Haul CT13 ft
2000-2500 lbs., 16 ft. length, sleeps 2. Seems like a lot of trailer for little benefit. Most of our 13 footers will do as well for a lot less.
jack maloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 06:24 PM   #12

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
2000-2500 lbs., 16 ft. length, sleeps 2. Seems like a lot of trailer for little benefit.
I disagree. As Patrick observes:
Quote:
The back comes off to insert an ATV...
How many eggs do that? That is a huge market in Southern California.
Old 08-05-2006, 05:14 AM   #13

Trailer: 1986 U-Haul CT13 ft
Good point, Frederick. I can see a real benefit in someone inserting their ATV into the back of an Airstream - but none in removing it...
jack maloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 07:02 PM   #14

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
...but none in removing it...
Old 08-05-2006, 10:48 PM   #15

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
I was a technician for Airstream's dealer meeting at Caesar's Palace a couple of months ago. Fun show, hard to stay focused on the job. Anyway, they had two Basecamps. They're big and shiny and kind of look like giant chariots. I thought they looked pretty cool. Like some of the previous post mentioned, once I started poking around it seemed like a lot of trailer, heavy, expensive and didn't really do that much. Although it was good for hauling a dirt bike. (Which I don't do.) One design element that surprised me was the rear door, which is also the only door. It's aided with hydralics, but still a lot of effort just to get in and out. No doubt it's a well made trailer. It's an Airstream. However, glass suits me just fine.
Fred Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 08:27 AM   #16

Trailer: 77 Scamp 13 ft / Landrover Freelander
Wink

Looks cool ,but for the lbs differance and limited function. I'll stick to my silver scamp. It holds my scooter just fine.
brian dobbs is offline   Reply With Quote