New and looking to buy a new camper - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-03-2012, 03:07 PM   #1

Name: Angel
Trailer: In the market
Pennsylvania
Question New and looking to buy a new camper

Hi everyone,

I am new here, and just wanted to thank everyone beforehand for all the helpful posts I have read to date. Such wonderful and helpful folks here!

My significant other and I are looking to purchase a camper (new or used). We plan to fulltime for 6 months and then continue using the camper for weekend/camping getaways.
We decided on fiberglass camper, for their lightness and hopefully easy maintenance and are looking for suggestions on what is out there.

Our main needs are:
1) Big queen bed, as we both love our sleep (we would love a bed that is always a bed)
2) Have enough space for 3, possibly 4 (2 adults, 2 kids), so bunk beds or big couch.
3) Have all comforts of home (bathroom, shower, kitchen, tv, etc.). Traveling with a small child, I need to make sure that our food will be cold while driving. We have heat and AC if we are boon-docking. I am very confused by all electric Lil Snoozy. Would you have to run a generator while driving to keep the food cold? Is there a way to install batteries/inverter from the factory?

We do not have a towing vehicle yet, but would prefer to tow with an SUV, therefore not considering 5th wheels.

After many nights of looking around, I have stumbled onto Escape 19', and Lil Snoozy. I have a feeling that I have not looked hard enough and there other choices out there, so I'd like to hear if I missed any.

We are nearby Philadelphia, PA. I have no idea where I can go to check any of these out in person.
Is there an event coming up this year where eggs will be gathering?

As we are very new to this, any and all suggestions on what we might be missing to comfortably fulltime are VERY welcome.

Looking forward to becoming an owner soon.
Angelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 03:18 PM   #2

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I just got a new Escape 19' and live in York, Pa- maybe 45 miles away. Contact Escape Trailer here Escape Trailer Industries > Home
ask for Tammy and she will ask you what model and where you are located. Unless someone else has gotten one, I'm the closest to you as far as I know. she will then give you my personal info.
Hope to hear from you soon.
ps
Welcome to the group.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 04:28 PM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelic View Post
.........3) Have all comforts of home (bathroom, shower, kitchen, tv, etc.). Traveling with a small child, I need to make sure that our food will be cold while driving. We have heat and AC if we are boon-docking. I am very confused by all electric Lil Snoozy. Would you have to run a generator while driving to keep the food cold? Is there a way to install batteries/inverter from the factory?
Welcome. I can address one of your questions. Air conditioning takes a lot of power, so if you want AC while boon docking you will need a fairly large generator - like 3000 watts or more.

The refrigerator and heater is normally run off LP gas. In an all electric camper you can run a compressor type refrigerator with a large solar panel and a large battery bank while parked. While driving, you can power the refrigerator off the tow vehicle's alternator. You will never generate enough electricity to heat a trailer from a solar panel

One of the ironies of camping is that we like to get out where it is peaceful and quiet. But generators are noisy, even the expensive Hondas and Yamahas.
Old 10-03-2012, 04:39 PM   #4

IF you like the escape 19 they have a 20 footer in production. I don't know the weight numbers. It might kick you out of the SUV category but you would sure have the room. The escape 19 is hard to beat too.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:55 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken C View Post
IF you like the escape 19 they have a 20 footer in production.
It's actually a 21' trailer... and you know how we feel about two-foot-its.

to FiberglassRV Angel, we're glad you're here!!

Good luck on the egg hunt too
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:18 PM   #6

Name: Lisa
Trailer: Former Escape 19 owner
Virginia
Registry
I'd be happy to show you my Snoozy. I'm in Northern VA. But I know that there is also a Snoozy in Pittsburgh. I'm sure Bill would be happy to show you his as well.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
ColoRockiesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:46 PM   #7

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Welcome! Glad you joined us!

I just saw my first Escape 19 in person a few weeks ago (I am in love!) But would also suggest another brand that might fit your needs, A Bigfoot. They tend to be roomy, but heavy. You would have to look at the used market as I don't believe they are in production again as of yet.

Good luck with your search, may the perfect trailer find it's way to you and your family before next camping season..........
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:16 PM   #8

Pennsylvania
Thank you so much everyone for all the answers!
I will reach out to Escape and see if I can come by and check out your awesome Escape during weekend after this one (if you are available).

I am waiting to hear back from Nicholas at Lil Snoozy about a few questions I asked, and hoping there is someone nearby with one. I am not very close to VA or Pittsburgh.

I think 19' is probably as large as I'd go.

Are there any good places where one might be able to buy or at least wait until someone sells a Lil Snoozy or Escape?
I know there is a For Sale section on this forum, but are there other dedicated for sale websites?

Much appreciated!
Old 10-03-2012, 09:38 PM   #9

Molded Fiberglass Trailers | Fiberglass RV's For Sale

Good site for FG trailers for sale and for pricing info...

Hope you find a good'un soon...
Richard Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:45 PM   #10

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Molded Fiberglass Trailers | Fiberglass RV's For Sale

Not going to see an Escape 19 there at the moment. A 17' Escape of recent vintage a few days ago. Also a bit soon for folks to be falling out of love with their Snoozies or looking to upgrade. Generally, the site has small appeal for those looking for nearly new but looking is looking and may firm up your idea of what you want in a new trailer.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:37 PM   #11

Pennsylvania
Thanks so much for the links! I am still hunting and looking around on different websites, checking out all the plans carefully.
I am hoping 17-19' is not too small to fulltime as a family.

Don't want to drive each other nuts .
Old 10-04-2012, 12:51 PM   #12

Also eggcamper is west of you. Might be a closer drive.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote