New Bigfoots - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-29-2013, 05:21 PM   #1

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
New Bigfoots

I may be the last to hear, but while talking with Bigfoot I was told they are now building their entire 2500 line of trailers - a couple of 17's, 21's & 25's, and their website is up-to-date. Since I was told recently that they are only building truck campers, I thought I'd post the info...
Jon Vermilye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:17 PM   #2

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
I know they started making a few 21's in the spring of 2011 but were mostly doing truck campers. They said they were going to add the other sizes at some point and I did see the 25 was back this summer but didnt know they had actually started back up with the 17's as well.... hope it works for them. I know a lot of the fishing/hunting crowd were very happy to have their truck campers back as an option. They were/are the kings of that market for years around here.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:37 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Glad to hear they are back up to full production again. They do build a quality unit, with many things I like about them. The full four season usage is a big thing, pretty much the only fiberglass trailer to do so.

The only two drawbacks for me, are firstly that they do a terrible job laying out the space. I know there are differing opinions on bath size, but I would love it if they just had a small wet bath, and use the made up space for storage. Their bed sizes are not that big for the size of the trailers either. Even their bigger trailers do not have a good long queen bed. Secondly, to get all these great features, they end up being fairly heavy, but that is the price you pay for a full 4 season trailer though.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:59 AM   #4

Name: Don
Trailer: Bigfoot 25RQ
Michigan
Bigfoot Quality

Jim Bennett, many of the points given by you are right on. We have a slightly larger unit than the original poster, so one must take into consideration the differences.

When towing our Scamp, we used a Honda Pilot. Love that vehicle, best one I ever owned, but it was not much of a TV. Shortly before acquiring the Bigfoot, we obtained a PU truck that is much better for that purpose.

Can't say enough about the quality of the BF, but we liked the Scamp quality, too. It's really hard to compare the two, but we hope to have as much fun in our new to us model, starting as soon as the weather breaks. Can you say, Charleston? Whoopee.
strander100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:24 AM   #5

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I think a Bigfoot is the only trailer I'd ever consider trading my Escape for, they are really nice.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:39 AM   #6
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I think a Bigfoot is the only trailer I'd ever consider trading my Escape for, they are really nice.
Uh oh. This is how it starts
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:47 AM   #7

Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Registry
I like the looks of those Bigfoot 17' trailers, but I wonder if their box-like profile wrecks fuel efficiency or what.
jen b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:00 AM   #8

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Jen any trailer that is wider than the tugs (and Bigfoot is one for sure) will have a negative impact on your fuel efficiency. It is why Escape even on their bigger trailer have stayed with the narrower profile.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:12 AM   #9

Michigan
Yowser on the profile and the box-shape, but this game, IMHO, is all about trade offs and I sold an Airstream to buy this. Twas worth the trade offs to me.

Plus, my TV is a little over hyped for this unit anyway. Don't want to reveal more than that, because it would not be mannerly based upon what most of the FGRV crowd hauls with. Most of us in my class of TV admit that you get XXX mpg, whether you are towing a BBQ wagon or a 40' fiver.

I'll say it again, the BF is in a class by itself and was something I waited a long time for and traveled quit a distance to get. But after reading threads on this forum for years, that's not really anything exceptional. I know my stable of RVs pales in comparison to some of the junkies on here.

Let's camp.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:26 AM   #10

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Don, I am a Trillium Junky. But if I ever bought another brand, it would be a Bigfoot. I was days from buying a 1987 Bigfoot 19 when I came across a deal, way too good to turn down, on a 1978 Trillium 4500. Who knows, maybe there is a Silver Cloud in my future.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:33 AM   #11

Michigan
David, I think you may have a problem or maybe that's a "Trillium Typo" in your profile.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:37 AM   #12

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
I like the look of the older Bigfoot 5ers. Every camping trailer compromises SOME features. The ones I can't stand are the trailers that compromise ALL OF THEM to the end of serving all purposes badly. Get a good bed or a galley where the frypan ain't on the floor or a livable dinette or something for your trouble and your XXX mpg or you might as well not have the darn thing. I realize that this is easier for singles, old fogeys, and empty nesters than it is for growing families.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:58 AM   #13

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
I can use your line as a start to my story too, Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
I was days from buying a 1987 Bigfoot 19.....
.....to gut and rebuild to suit my fancy, when my wife gave me a smack upside the head, and told me that I had enough unfinished projects around, and I wasn't going to add another one. She was right (just please don't tell her I said that), and I started to look for new, and shortly thereafter Reace announced the new Escape model, the 19. The rest is now history.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:39 PM   #14

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by strander100 View Post
David, I think you may have a problem or maybe that's a "Trillium Typo" in your profile.
If you are referring to my four Trillium trailers, that is no typo. Yes, I do have a problem. You should see my spares warehouse. There is at least one member who is even more of a fanatic then I. Randy Bishop has even more. He is also way ahead of me on restorations.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:03 PM   #15

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
The difference in miles per gallon while towing our 8' wide Bigfoot or our 6' wide Compact Jr is 2 or 3 mpg.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:31 PM   #16

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Wow, that is amazing, what % change is that, I'm surprised it is that high of a difference.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:33 AM   #17

Trailer: 1990 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Trostel View Post
The difference in miles per gallon while towing our 8' wide Bigfoot or our 6' wide Compact Jr is 2 or 3 mpg.
Width or weight?
Cam A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:48 AM   #18

Trailer: 1990 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit View Post
I like the look of the older Bigfoot 5ers. Every camping trailer compromises SOME features. The ones I can't stand are the trailers that compromise ALL OF THEM to the end of serving all purposes badly. Get a good bed or a galley where the frypan ain't on the floor or a livable dinette or something for your trouble and your XXX mpg or you might as well not have the darn thing. I realize that this is easier for singles, old fogeys, and empty nesters than it is for growing families.

jack
How you use your trailer is the other compromise; mileage vs. room; travelling vs. camping. I've tried to ease my wife into an Escape, but even though we tend to travel rather than camp, after the big windows and wide open spaces of our Bigfoot 5th, she says "just pay for the gas".
Cam A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:42 AM   #19

Michigan
Cam, like you I too struggle with those "sunk costs." I'll bet that besides all that expensive gas we burn chasing around, I could also save a bundle by doing something about several other lifestyle areas; for example, cable, entertainment, hmmm, beer/wine.

Guess I'll just pay for the gas and consider my spending habits as a feature of my personality.

When in doubt, have a fudgesicle.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:22 AM   #20

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
I really like the extra width inside and would have trouble going to a narrow unit.
I'm sure the extra width hurts my gas mileage plus the need for wider mirrors pulling the Bigfoot.
Daniel A. is offline   Reply With Quote