New Blog Educate me on the 16 Foot Scamps - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-03-2013, 03:18 PM   #21

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
As the President might say, there is a Red Line that shouldn't be crossed, and if someone refered to our FGRV's as a "Plastic" trailer, that just might be that Red Line.

As almost all on here would agree, finding a used FGRV, more often than not, is a lot of work and, if one should fall into ones lap that can be had at a low price, the best of luck on that.

And if someone doesn't care if they get one or not, so be it, I will devote my time to helping those that are interested in making the usual and expected efforts to find what they want.

BTW: Many FGRV's, as were the last three sold at my abode, are sold by a "She".

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 03:37 PM   #22

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
On my Scamp I have taken off and replaced the big escape hatch as well as added a Fantastic fan to the rear of the main escape hatch. Did it all (including the cutting of the hole in the fiberglass for the FF) by reaching through the escape hatch opening. Have never had a need to put my full weight on the roof.

Mounted both hatches using butyl tape only - no need for any other sealers & I camp on the wet coast!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 03:48 PM   #23

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV NUT CASE View Post
I wellcome a trailer that needs all this work because I can service all of this. And besides I can steal it for rock bottom price.
LOL dont count on that in the world of Fiberglass trailers. I am always a little surprised as what people will pay for a trailer in need of what I would consider a lot of work! Suspect it is because the fiberglass trailers are so much easier to fix than a sticky trailer and people dont need a lot if any previous RV repair to do a good repair job themselves.
Old 09-03-2013, 08:51 PM   #24

Name: Roger
Trailer: Nomad
Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
On my Scamp I have taken off and replaced the big escape hatch as well as added a Fantastic fan to the rear of the main escape hatch. Did it all (including the cutting of the hole in the fiberglass for the FF) by reaching through the escape hatch opening. Have never had a need to put my full weight on the roof.

Mounted both hatches using butyl tape only - no need for any other sealers & I camp on the wet coast!
I sounds like if you treat these trailers right and keep the maintence up on them they will last a long time? Am I right? They sound like they are easy to maintain? Is that right? This is what I am picking up from you guys?
So have any issues with large down pours on hatches etc?
RV NUT CASE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:54 PM   #25

Nevada
Quote:
LOL dont count on that in the world of Fiberglass trailers. I am always a little surprised as what people will pay for a trailer in need of what I would consider a lot of work! Suspect it is because the fiberglass trailers are so much easier to fix than a sticky trailer and people dont need a lot if any previous RV repair to do a good repair job themselves.

A sticky trailer ? I find that amusing . Never heard that one before. What ever you do dont show up at one of your tours with a sticky trailer. Those guys will run you out on the rails!
Old 09-03-2013, 09:15 PM   #26

Registry
Quote:
I sounds like if you treat these trailers right and keep the maintence up on them they will last a long time? Am I right? They sound like they are easy to maintain? Is that right? This is what I am picking up from you guys?

So have any issues with large down pours on hatches etc?
You have the right picture of the situation. Even if they havent been well taken care of they are pretty simple to fix! Pretty well the worst case scenario is a floor replacement but if all the furniture is moulded fiberglass its pretty easy to take it all out and put back in once the floor is redone. Unlike a sticky or stick trailer as we call the more traditionally built trailers with wood frames on the inside walls.

No leaks on hatches or windows just using good old butyl tape to seal them - even when it rains for 40 days and 40 nights and often more which happens more often than not in these parts!

Silicone BTW is a 4 letter word in the fiberglass trailer world! People have been known to have been shoot for getting close than 5' with a tube of it to a fiberglass trailer.
Old 09-03-2013, 09:55 PM   #27

Nevada
Quote:
You have the right picture of the situation. Even if they havent been well taken care of they are pretty simple to fix! Pretty well the worst case scenario is a floor replacement but if all the furniture is moulded fiberglass its pretty easy to take it all out and put back in once the floor is redone. Unlike a sticky or stick trailer as we call the more traditionally built trailers with wood frames on the inside walls.

No leaks on hatches or windows just using good old butyl tape to seal them - even when it rains for 40 days and 40 nights and often more which happens more often than not in these parts!

Silicone BTW is a 4 letter word in the fiberglass trailer world! People have been known to have been shoot for getting close than 5' with a tube of it to a fiberglass trailer.
Is the furniture on the floor screwed n glued? Or just screwed in? Can you just unscrew it and take all of out then put in new flooring. Is the floor plywood?
Old 09-03-2013, 11:04 PM   #28

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Is the furniture on the floor screwed n glued? Or just screwed in? Can you just unscrew it and take all of out then put in new flooring. Is the floor plywood?
Since Carol is offline at the moment I'll answer. The furniture is either just screwed where it is attached to wood, and pop-riveted where it is attached to an adjoining piece of fiberglass.
Old 09-04-2013, 06:39 AM   #29

Trailer: 1988 Perris Pacer ('Bean') / 2004 Element
Registry
Or in the case of some----like my Perris Pacer----it's fiberglassed in.
Vickie B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 06:44 AM   #30

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Quote:
A sticky trailer ? I find that amusing . Never heard that one before. What ever you do dont show up at one of your tours with a sticky trailer. Those guys will run you out on the rails!
Na, we have no issue with people that want a different camping home. They're very welcome to join in. There are members in this group that own 'stickies' and are also admirers of fiberglass. Its all good.
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 07:13 AM   #31

Trailer: 1988 Perris Pacer ('Bean') / 2004 Element
Registry
And some of us crazies have BOTH kinds!!!!!!
Vickie B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 10:39 AM   #32

Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson View Post
Since Carol is offline at the moment I'll answer. The furniture is either just screwed where it is attached to wood, and pop-riveted where it is attached to an adjoining piece of fiberglass.
Is the flooring ply wood screwed to the frame of the trailer or its it glassed in like a boat? Does the wood stay inside the trailer or do they put the top section down on the outer edges of the wood like a pancake? Thanks
Old 09-04-2013, 10:48 AM   #33

Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
As the President might say, there is a Red Line that shouldn't be crossed, and if someone refered to our FGRV's as a "Plastic" trailer, that just might be that Red Line.

As almost all on here would agree, finding a used FGRV, more often than not, is a lot of work and, if one should fall into ones lap that can be had at a low price, the best of luck on that.

And if someone doesn't care if they get one or not, so be it, I will devote my time to helping those that are interested in making the usual and expected efforts to find what they want.

BTW: Many FGRV's, as were the last three sold at my abode, are sold by a "She".
Bob don't get your butt hurt if I call it a plastic trailer it was not ment to be offensive. If I jump on here and called sombody's trailer a POS that would be different. Its just an expression not be taken as offensive towards anybody's trailer. You guys love your trailers and there is quite a following here. So what I have gathered is these are very good trailers and if taken care of properly will last for years. Easy to tow with a light vehicle . You all have been very helpfull to me. I have only been on here since Saturday and to be quite honest I am very impressed with most of you. You have been very kind and respectfull and helpfull.
Old 09-04-2013, 10:54 AM   #34

Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam Garlow View Post
Na, we have no issue with people that want a different camping home. They're very welcome to join in. There are members in this group that own 'stickies' and are also admirers of fiberglass. Its all good.
Whew I am glad of that I could see some Southern boys comming over the hill with the old Model A running off us Stickys with scatter guns!
Old 09-04-2013, 12:16 PM   #35

Registry
Quote:
Is the flooring ply wood screwed to the frame of the trailer or its it glassed in like a boat? Does the wood stay inside the trailer or do they put the top section down on the outer edges of the wood like a pancake? Thanks
Depends on the brand. Some of the trailers have fiberglass floors & some have glassed in bottoms covering a wood floor above.. Scamp used wood only for the floors but its been covered in resin.... no signs of water on the under side of my 21 year old trailer which has traveled many many miles on wet roads The wood edges of the floor on mine are contained within the trailer and up about 5 or so inches form the lowest outside edge of the trailer.
Old 09-04-2013, 01:06 PM   #36

Nevada
Quote:
Depends on the brand. Some of the trailers have fiberglass floors & some have glassed in bottoms covering a wood floor above.. Scamp used wood only for the floors but its been covered in resin.... no signs of water on the under side of my 21 year old trailer which has traveled many many miles on wet roads The wood edges of the floor on mine are contained within the trailer and up about 5 or so inches form the lowest outside edge of the trailer.

Cool good to know. Can you emagine what is would of done if the factory had pancake the top section on top of the wood floor and left if exposed? What a mess that would of been.

So its my understand the belly of the trailer is one peice and totally inclosed? Is this correct?
Old 09-04-2013, 04:21 PM   #37

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Scamps belly is open, Casita's and some others are enclosed.
Old 09-04-2013, 04:50 PM   #38

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Bolers came both ways - mine is open (the fiberglass shell does not extend under the floor). There don't seem to be problems from having plywood flooring exposed on the bottom - trouble comes from above, as mentioned earlier.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 06:05 PM   #39

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Trilliums have a fibreglass bottom, and the fibreglass furniture includes a fibreglass floor. There is a piece of plywood between them. If water pools on the floor, or in the bins, the wood may rot. I have no idea how this could be fixed. So it is a good thing that this is quite rare. I suspect that the best way to replace the plywood, that is sandwiched between the bottom of the trailer and the floor of the trailer, would be to cut a hole in the bottom of the trailer large enough to remove the plywood. Then fibreglass the cut out section back in.

Also, the furniture is neither riveted, or screwed to the inside of a Trillium. It is fibreglassed in.

I quite like the design of Trilliums. I now have four of them.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp