NEW: CA Water Check for RV'er's - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-15-2015, 06:47 AM   #15

Name: None
Trailer: None
None
We were checking out California SP's. yesterday for our up coming trip . Several of the State Park
websites said no flush toilets ,no showers ,no dump station ,and no drinking water (bring your own drinking water) . There was another website saying that you can import water into California for your personal use but that you can not export water from California without paying a fee.
I may just stay in Oregon where it is less restrictive
and costly .

Old 06-15-2015, 09:18 AM   #16

Name: Dan
Trailer: 2017 Bigfoot 25B25RQ
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
We were checking out California SP's. yesterday for our up coming trip . Several of the State Park
websites said no flush toilets ,no showers ,no dump station ,and no drinking water (bring your own drinking water) . There was another website saying that you can import water into California for your personal use but that you can not export water from California without paying a fee.
I may just stay in Oregon where it is less restrictive
and costly .
But you did get the no water discount right?

Old 06-15-2015, 10:13 AM   #17

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
If I am not mistaken last spring several of the California SP's closed the flush bathrooms and shower facilities, as well as dump stations due to lack of water. So its not entirely new to this year.

Steve you should not be to surprised if you don't run into some water restrictions while in Oregon this summer as well. Will they be as extreme as California's - hard to say - but its possible they may be in some areas. I know we in BC are preparing for the water restrictions already in place to be taken to the next level pretty quickly. Snow pack on the mountains is at the same level we normally see of at the end of a very dry summer, river levels are about the same. Yesterday while walking the dog I was trying to recall if I had ever seen one of our local rivers as low as it currently is - possible - but it was probable at the end of a long very hot summer - not in the spring time. In BC we have exceeded the 10 year average in regards to how many hectors of forest have been lost to wild fires so far and its only going to get worse as the forecasters are predicting a contiuned dry hot summer. A good portion of the Province is rated at High for Fire Hazard and some of it at Extreme which again is not normal for the beginning of June - more common to see in the later part of August. Oregon has also already had more than double their 10 year average for wildfires YTD and has lost almost double the hectors as well.... one of those fires is out towards the wet coast in Tillamook State forest.

From California to BC no one got anywhere near normal rain fall or snow pack in the mountains this past winter so the shortage of water is one the whole west coast is going to be facing the reality of this summer, not just California.

Lets just say I am not expecting to be able to keep my tug or trailer as clean and shine as they are today, in a month from now. :-(
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 02:11 PM   #18

Name: None
Trailer: None
None
We got almost 2 1/2 times our normal rainfall in.
May (3 1/2" = May average rainfall - this May was a little over 8") Our lake is about a foot above normal water level. Seems like the West coast is being hit the hardest by drought . I called the California State Park system and they are not discounting camping fees even though they are not providing the advertised services. The rain here has helped the farmer and the crop of insects.
Old 07-14-2015, 02:12 AM   #19

Name: Roger
Trailer: 2009 Trillium 1300 "Homelet"/2014 Subaru Outback "Rosie"
Washington
Registry
Unhappy Washington is dry, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gailanneM View Post
Hey Bob,
I'm currently in the process of moving up to Chelan (& ESTATIC to be getting out of CA!!) -- I'll be living in my 25' Bigfoot while building a garage and then small retirement home on 21 acres....
Can't wait to get up to that "cool, clear, waaater...."!!!!
��
Don't be too ecstatic:

Wildfires engulf swaths of Washington state - CNN.com

Plus the record high is 106F and the record low is -14F

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chelan,_Washington

OTOH, marijuana is legal here.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 02:33 AM   #20

Name: Alfred
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2010 Nissan Frontier
Ontario
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: All... No showers in Caulifornia? Do they use Eau de Toilet?
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie:
Old 07-14-2015, 09:05 AM   #21

Name: Emily
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16 Layout 7
Colorado
Registry
We are headed to Lake Tahoe at the end of the summer and a few months ago I got a call from the park, saying no water in our campground. I called back a couple of days ago to check on things and was told that currently there are no showers at DL Bliss campground, but there are toilets and fresh water. Showers can be paid for at Sugar Pine Point campground, just a few miles down the road. Planning to fill our water tank and bring three five gallon containers in the car.
Old 07-14-2015, 09:12 AM   #22

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
We camp at Joshua Tree N.P. 5-6 times a year and there is NO water in the park proper, never has been, and we do just fine. You just have to go prepared.
Old 07-14-2015, 09:12 AM   #23

Ontario
Registry
Hi: All... Next thing you know Caulifornia will be outlawing "Wet Wipes"!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Old 07-14-2015, 09:14 AM   #24

Name: Emily
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16 Layout 7
Colorado
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf S. View Post
Hi: All... Next thing you know Caulifornia will be outlawing "Wet Wipes"!!!
Now THAT would make me sad!! Wet wipes are one of my top most necessary items when camping! I'm not sure I could survive without them!
Old 07-14-2015, 09:25 AM   #25

California
Wet Wipes... Can't see why they would be outlawed, they are all imported from states that got flooded this past year. Sort of redistribution of (water) wealth.... LOL
Old 07-14-2015, 10:26 AM   #26

Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
If I am not mistaken last spring several of the California SP's closed the flush bathrooms and shower facilities, as well as dump stations due to lack of water. So its not entirely new to this year.

Steve you should not be to surprised if you don't run into some water restrictions while in Oregon this summer as well. Will they be as extreme as California's - hard to say - but its possible they may be in some areas. I know we in BC are preparing for the water restrictions already in place to be taken to the next level pretty quickly. Snow pack on the mountains is at the same level we normally see of at the end of a very dry summer, river levels are about the same. Yesterday while walking the dog I was trying to recall if I had ever seen one of our local rivers as low as it currently is - possible - but it was probable at the end of a long very hot summer - not in the spring time. In BC we have exceeded the 10 year average in regards to how many hectors of forest have been lost to wild fires so far and its only going to get worse as the forecasters are predicting a contiuned dry hot summer. A good portion of the Province is rated at High for Fire Hazard and some of it at Extreme which again is not normal for the beginning of June - more common to see in the later part of August. Oregon has also already had more than double their 10 year average for wildfires YTD and has lost almost double the hectors as well.... one of those fires is out towards the wet coast in Tillamook State forest.

From California to BC no one got anywhere near normal rain fall or snow pack in the mountains this past winter so the shortage of water is one the whole west coast is going to be facing the reality of this summer, not just California.

Lets just say I am not expecting to be able to keep my tug or trailer as clean and shine as they are today, in a month from now. :-(
Hi: Carol H... Come on over to south wet Ontario. Just tow through... It'd be like towing thru the car wash. In June we had near 9"s of rain.
Old 07-14-2015, 10:34 AM   #27

Name: Darral
Trailer: Scamp Standard 13' 2010
Tennessee
This is just me, but I'm perplexed as to how anyone would want to go to an area in DISTRESS unless it was/is an absolute emergency. You're going where you know water is short. You may take you own, but what if your vehicle runs hot and it consumes your water, or personal emergencies..... All of a sudden you realize you're in a state/area, that has virtually no water...and then all of a sudden your tanks start to run dry. But you left a state where you had all you need and didnt have to worry about emergencies or such. I'm sorry...I dont get it.

And yes, there's been MANY changed our plans!
Old 07-14-2015, 11:09 AM   #28

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post
This is just me, but I'm perplexed as to how anyone would want to go to an area in DISTRESS unless it was/is an absolute emergency. You're going where you know water is short. You may take you own, but what if your vehicle runs hot and it consumes your water, or personal emergencies..... All of a sudden you realize you're in a state/area, that has virtually no water...and then all of a sudden your tanks start to run dry. But you left a state where you had all you need and didnt have to worry about emergencies or such. I'm sorry...I dont get it.

And yes, there's been MANY changed our plans!
First, lets make it clear, the only areas in real "Distress" are those that are getting to much water and, perhaps, those that are getting to many tornados....LOL

There are no western states with "virtually no water" and some places out here, such as Joshua Tree National Park, are Desert Parks and never had any water in the numerous campgrounds in the core of the park anyway. But still, try to find a space in any of them on a weekend.....

California like the rest of the west coast is in a water shortage situation, much like we were in back in 1976-1978, and we survived that just fine. My monthly waterbill was about 70% outside irrigation and 30% human use. I cut my outside watering in half and all is well.

There is plenty of water available for RV'ers and I have yet to hear of anyone that couldn't get all the water that they needed, maybe not from a hose bib in every campsite, but it is readily available.

On the other hand, if scare tactics deters a few from visiting, so be it.... That will make more room in those water desolate places, like Yosemite National Park, Sequoia National Park, Mts. Lassen and Shasta, the Magnificent Redwoods and the 100's of miles of California Beaches, that much less crowded for those of us that live in and delight in the 330+ days of RV'ing a year we can enjoy, all by taking a few extra water containers along, just in case.

As a state, we aren't restricting needed water usage, we are just cutting back on unnecessary consumption while Mother/Father Nature plays their tricks on us again.

BTW: It's nowhere near as restrictive in CA right now than it is in AZ and NM all of the time.

Y'all come to the Golden State, it still does, (and will always) shine for the RVer's of the world.