NEW: CA Water Check for RV'er's - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2015, 08:05 AM   #21

Name: Emily
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16
Colorado
Registry
We are headed to Lake Tahoe at the end of the summer and a few months ago I got a call from the park, saying no water in our campground. I called back a couple of days ago to check on things and was told that currently there are no showers at DL Bliss campground, but there are toilets and fresh water. Showers can be paid for at Sugar Pine Point campground, just a few miles down the road. Planning to fill our water tank and bring three five gallon containers in the car.
emij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 08:12 AM   #22

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
We camp at Joshua Tree N.P. 5-6 times a year and there is NO water in the park proper, never has been, and we do just fine. You just have to go prepared.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 08:12 AM   #23

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: All... Next thing you know Caulifornia will be outlawing "Wet Wipes"!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 08:14 AM   #24

Name: Emily
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16
Colorado
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf S. View Post
Hi: All... Next thing you know Caulifornia will be outlawing "Wet Wipes"!!!
Now THAT would make me sad!! Wet wipes are one of my top most necessary items when camping! I'm not sure I could survive without them!
emij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 08:25 AM   #25

Wet Wipes... Can't see why they would be outlawed, they are all imported from states that got flooded this past year. Sort of redistribution of (water) wealth.... LOL

Old 07-14-2015, 09:26 AM   #26

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
If I am not mistaken last spring several of the California SP's closed the flush bathrooms and shower facilities, as well as dump stations due to lack of water. So its not entirely new to this year.

Steve you should not be to surprised if you don't run into some water restrictions while in Oregon this summer as well. Will they be as extreme as California's - hard to say - but its possible they may be in some areas. I know we in BC are preparing for the water restrictions already in place to be taken to the next level pretty quickly. Snow pack on the mountains is at the same level we normally see of at the end of a very dry summer, river levels are about the same. Yesterday while walking the dog I was trying to recall if I had ever seen one of our local rivers as low as it currently is - possible - but it was probable at the end of a long very hot summer - not in the spring time. In BC we have exceeded the 10 year average in regards to how many hectors of forest have been lost to wild fires so far and its only going to get worse as the forecasters are predicting a contiuned dry hot summer. A good portion of the Province is rated at High for Fire Hazard and some of it at Extreme which again is not normal for the beginning of June - more common to see in the later part of August. Oregon has also already had more than double their 10 year average for wildfires YTD and has lost almost double the hectors as well.... one of those fires is out towards the wet coast in Tillamook State forest.

From California to BC no one got anywhere near normal rain fall or snow pack in the mountains this past winter so the shortage of water is one the whole west coast is going to be facing the reality of this summer, not just California.

Lets just say I am not expecting to be able to keep my tug or trailer as clean and shine as they are today, in a month from now. :-(
Hi: Carol H... Come on over to south wet Ontario. Just tow through... It'd be like towing thru the car wash. In June we had near 9"s of rain.
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 09:34 AM   #27

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
This is just me, but I'm perplexed as to how anyone would want to go to an area in DISTRESS unless it was/is an absolute emergency. You're going where you know water is short. You may take you own, but what if your vehicle runs hot and it consumes your water, or personal emergencies..... All of a sudden you realize you're in a state/area, that has virtually no water...and then all of a sudden your tanks start to run dry. But you left a state where you had all you need and didnt have to worry about emergencies or such. I'm sorry...I dont get it.

And yes, there's been MANY changed our plans!
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 10:09 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post
This is just me, but I'm perplexed as to how anyone would want to go to an area in DISTRESS unless it was/is an absolute emergency. You're going where you know water is short. You may take you own, but what if your vehicle runs hot and it consumes your water, or personal emergencies..... All of a sudden you realize you're in a state/area, that has virtually no water...and then all of a sudden your tanks start to run dry. But you left a state where you had all you need and didnt have to worry about emergencies or such. I'm sorry...I dont get it.

And yes, there's been MANY changed our plans!
First, lets make it clear, the only areas in real "Distress" are those that are getting to much water and, perhaps, those that are getting to many tornados....LOL

There are no western states with "virtually no water" and some places out here, such as Joshua Tree National Park, are Desert Parks and never had any water in the numerous campgrounds in the core of the park anyway. But still, try to find a space in any of them on a weekend.....

California like the rest of the west coast is in a water shortage situation, much like we were in back in 1976-1978, and we survived that just fine. My monthly waterbill was about 70% outside irrigation and 30% human use. I cut my outside watering in half and all is well.

There is plenty of water available for RV'ers and I have yet to hear of anyone that couldn't get all the water that they needed, maybe not from a hose bib in every campsite, but it is readily available.

On the other hand, if scare tactics deters a few from visiting, so be it.... That will make more room in those water desolate places, like Yosemite National Park, Sequoia National Park, Mts. Lassen and Shasta, the Magnificent Redwoods and the 100's of miles of California Beaches, that much less crowded for those of us that live in and delight in the 330+ days of RV'ing a year we can enjoy, all by taking a few extra water containers along, just in case.

As a state, we aren't restricting needed water usage, we are just cutting back on unnecessary consumption while Mother/Father Nature plays their tricks on us again.

BTW: It's nowhere near as restrictive in CA right now than it is in AZ and NM all of the time.

Y'all come to the Golden State, it still does, (and will always) shine for the RVer's of the world.

Old 07-14-2015, 11:21 AM   #29

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Smile I can't understand it

There is the whole Pacific Ocean along California. Haven't CA residents ever heard of distillation?

From Wikipedia:

"Drinking water has been distilled from sea water since at least ca. 200 AD when the process was clearly described by Alexander of Aphrodisias.[1] Its history predates this, as a passage in Aristotle's Meteorologica (II.3, 358b16) refers to the distillation of water.[2] Captain Israel Williams of the Friendship (1797) improvised a way to distill water, which he described in his journal.[3]"

Heat source? How about the sun?

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 11:49 AM   #30

Yep, we are well aware of distillation of sea water. The majority of fresh water for Santa Catalina Island comes from a desalinization plant. Not to mention military installations on islands as well as ships at sea.

But... the cost per gallon is astronomical and, for the millions of peeps in the state, the amount of power required would put a huge drain on the existing and future power infrastructures.

This is an idea that comes around every drought and, by the time anything can be done, the drought ends. But there are a few smaller plants currently operating for areas that don't have access to sufficient well water in any but the best of times, i.e. that place "26 Miles Across the Sea". (Actually it's 22 miles, but that didn't fit the song.... LOL)

Old 07-14-2015, 02:13 PM   #31

Name: Carl
Trailer: 1994 Scamp 16
Arkansas
Plenty of Fresh WATER!

Just for everyone's information Arkansas has plenty of water this year! There is no shortages! Rest rooms, showers and drinking fountains are all still open. The water is clear, cool, refreshing and free (for the most part)! The lakes are full of water, with good boating, fishing and swimming.
As we say in the south- yall come to see us!

If you don't know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else! Yogi Berra
Nut501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 02:34 PM   #32

Ya, not only are the lakes and streams full of water, so is the air. Did someone say it is humid down south? LOL

Old 07-14-2015, 05:25 PM   #33

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
[QUOTE=Bob Miller;534782]on a weekend.....

On the other hand, if scare tactics deters a few from visiting, so be it.... That will make more room in those water desolate places, like Yosemite National Park, Sequoia National Park, Mts. Lassen and Shasta, the Magnificent Redwoods and the 100's of miles of California Beaches, that much less crowded for those of us that live in and delight in the 330+ days of RV'ing a year we can enjoy, all by taking a few extra water containers along, just in case.QUOTE]

Hey Bob, I hadn't thought of that. I live maybe 30 miles north of the north entry into Yosemite and rarey every go down there anymore. Maybe this year I will, and maybe even find a campsite. That would be a shock.

[QUOTE As a state, we aren't restricting needed water usage, we are just cutting back on unnecessary consumption while Mother/Father Nature plays their tricks on us again. it is in AZ and NM all of the time. QUOTE]

I'd say you are a little wrong there. There are lots of towns here in No. California that have cut people down to where needed water use is even being effected. I can't speak for So. Cal. but then I wouldn't want to as they are the major consumers of "Our" water. In the last drought I was amazed on a trip to So. Cal. seeing water running down gutters, lawns being water etc. We in the North, where the water comes from, were being rationed. I wouldn't be surprised that is happening once again. Because, Yes there is rationing here that impacts needed water. And, good for you that you even get to do outside watering.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 07:14 PM   #34

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Interesting perspective about the water use differences from north to south. I'm in Silicon Valley this week on an IT integration and had to almost wade through the parking lot of my hotel this morning. The sprinklers here are spitting out water just fine. Back home in South Texas, a drought restriction is a drought restriction. Run your sprinklers during stage III water restrictions (whether you're a homeowner or a business) and you'll face a hefty fine.