new computer, lost all old info, need references - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-12-2009, 09:45 AM   #1

Trailer: 2000 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
hi, it has been a long time since i have visited this site. i hope you don't mind that i had to sell my casita (but i still love all of you!) to buy a permanent park model with sunroom in st pete fl. i found this place while traveling in my casita. it is a great older unit that had been cared for with the same love most of you lavish on your trailers. i remember all the wonderful things about my casita and how helpful all of you are.

i have recently had to replace my 1992 computer and all of my info was lost. i had put some of the places you folks buy from in my "favorites" and they are all gone now.

after two years of begging the park management, i have been given permission to be the first winter time resident with an 8 x 10 shed. i plan to build a pottery studio in the shed and would like info on the max vent fan i had in the casita. i want to use it in the roof of the shed and open it while i am inside working. i have found the website for the vent fan but wonder if there is a way to use it on normal 110 electric, not 12 volt.

i would also like to build in a sink that slowly drains out onto the very sandy back yard in some way. i have found a beautiful deep stainless kitchen sink that will fit buckets and provide a place to wash my dog. how can i provide water from a normal outside hose? i know plumbing, having plumbed several houses and a heating system for my radiators but i know you folks have lots of great ideas that are "outside the box".

it is great to be back, looking forward to hearing all about your adventures in eggland! alice

potteralice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 10:23 AM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
I'd think outside the "RV box" and put in a solar-powered vent from the marine or home world -- Won't be as big as a fantastical or maxxx vent, but will alwys be running when needed for heat removal.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/store...dkey=SiteSearch

http://www.roofvents.com/solar-fan.html

http://www.nextag.com/solar-vent-fan/stores-html
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 10:23 AM   #3

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
W/B Alice!!
What a WEIRD NAME, LOL (woohoo alice!!)
I can't speak on the water issues except to say that MAYBE the park your trailer is set up on may NOT like your drainage idea for the water.
The electrical issue is simple IF you can find a good electronics shop and purchase a 'regulated 12V power supply'. They run on 110V and convert power to 12V's. One would neeed to be sure NOT to overpower these things, as they will 'FRY' IF overloaded. The fan should NOT be an issue with the aforementioned power source.
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 04:34 PM   #4

thanks, pete, westmarine is one of the ones i lost. will check these out carefully.

[no, doug , the park doesn't mind. the amount of water i would drain out each time wouldn't be more than a few gallons. i have a big inside corner yard with what i call crabgrass but which my neighbor in an airstream waters and cares for constantly. (don't get me started on wasting water, she drives me nuts with her always washing the absolutely clean airstream and her huge truck and watering the greenest grass i've seen in this very parched area!!!)

no, i am looking for the plumbing components to allow me to set the sink above a barrel of some kind and allow the water to leave the barrel in a drip hose or some such. any ideas??
Old 02-12-2009, 04:52 PM   #5

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
If you are using the water for your pottery, you could recycle it. Collect the water in a barrel, allow the sludge to settle, draw off fresh stuff and add a bit of bleach to it to kill off the stuff that grows.

Do they have downspout "rain barrels" down there? They've got the valves built in.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 08:54 PM   #6

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Since you don't necessarily need the light weight, easy portability, and 12-volts of camper oriented stuff, you might be able to use better and cheaper products that use 110 volts of power, and or in other ways unsuitable for a lightweight RV on the road.

I would suggest using Google to search for things like "barrel to drain greywater" "roof vent fan studio shed" and those sorts of things to get ideas. People living in cabins "off the grid" often use the former type of systems to drain greywater, for example.

Marine stuff is great, but it's also expensive, and compact, which you don't necessarily need.

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 09:05 PM   #7

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
People living in cabins "off the grid" often use the former type of systems to drain greywater, for example.

Raya
Yeah, good idea Raya. Coach George Jessup lives off the grid, he probably has all kinds of good ideas to share with you potteralice!

Yo Coach, you're up!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 09:58 PM   #8

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
i plan to build a pottery studio in the shed and would like info on the [b]max vent fan i had in the casita. i want to use it in the roof of the shed and open it while i am inside working. i have found the website for the vent fan but wonder if there is a way to [b]use it on normal 110 electric, not 12 volt.
Check out the following links:

MaxxFan RV Roof Vent

I went out and [b]L [b]KED at my Fantastic Fan RV Roof Vent and saw that it has a [b]4 Amp fuse.

This tells me you need a 12 Volt DC, 4 Amp, AC Adapter. It is similar to the AC Adapter that my Laptop uses.

All you have to do is install a DC Power Jack on the wires for whichever roof vent you choose, and the whole assembly becomes plug-and-play.
Old 02-14-2009, 12:21 PM   #9

thanks, all

i do need small size, the shed is only 8 feet by 10 feet. i will try greywater as a search word.
i need ventilation without turbulance and a fan that can handle 20cubic feet per minute. it is going to be fun building this shed myself from parts and pieces of the ones i have found.

if anyone gets down this way, stop by. and, of course, i will be home on the Potomac river in late april for all you travelers of route 81 and maybe route 70. alice, forever to be known as alice
Old 02-14-2009, 01:12 PM   #10

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500 (plus 2 Rhodesian Ridgebacks)
Registry
Quote:
thanks, all

i need ventilation without turbulance and a fan that can handle 20cubic feet per minute. it is going to be fun building this shed myself from parts and pieces of the ones i have found.

alice
If you are willing to look at the Fantastic Vent, they say on their site that they can be operated at 110V. That info is buried in their FAQs page. They can more than meet your CFM needs.

Fantastic Vent website
Carol Ann in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 08:42 PM   #11

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Unhappy

Quote:
If you are willing to look at the Fantastic Vent, they say on their site that they can be operated at 110V. That info is buried in their FAQs page.
Q. DO YOU HAVE A FAN FOR MY HOME?
A. We manufacture a 110-volt version of our Model 4000, 5000, and 6000.
[b]Reverse airflow is not available in the 110-volt series. Call for information.
Old 02-15-2009, 10:02 AM   #12

thanks carol ann and frederick, i never would have spotted that little item. my new shed will arrive in an hour or so and i am so excited to see it!

i appreciate all your help. alice