New CT13 owner - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2011, 08:02 AM   #1

Name: Patti
Trailer: 1984 UHaul CT13
Colorado
Registry
New CT13 owner

Not sure how to move around your site yet. Just got my new toy last week and still in the research mode of how to get her cleaned up. Lots of oxidation. Seems pretty original. Says UHAUL everywhere. No stripes, but lots of adhesive to remove. Looking for suggestions. Stove top is pretty grungy-clean or replace? I spent alot of time reading your forum and making notes. Don't have pictures loaded yet, but will post later.
keekers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 08:25 AM   #2

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry

Name:   41gL2h9DCVL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  17.7 KB
Welcome
I would give it a good cleaning first, then see what you need to fix or replace.
Ask any question here, many good folks will jump in to help you.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 09:20 AM   #3

Colorado
Registry
I'm getting started today, it will take lots of elbow grease. Looking forward to making some help connections.
Keekers
Old 05-10-2011, 09:47 AM   #4

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by keekers View Post
Not sure how to move around your site yet. Just got my new toy last week and still in the research mode of how to get her cleaned up. Lots of oxidation. Seems pretty original. Says UHAUL everywhere. No stripes, but lots of adhesive to remove. Looking for suggestions. Stove top is pretty grungy-clean or replace? I spent alot of time reading your forum and making notes. Don't have pictures loaded yet, but will post later.
Welcome, I have found Goo Gone works pretty well to remove adhesive - it needs to be washed off well from the fiberglass after using. After washing the trailer I have had also had good results removing oxidation & stains using the 3M Marine product cleaner & wax combo using a micro cloth. A second application of straight wax finishes it up nicely.

Have fun with your new toy.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 09:59 AM   #5

Trailer: U-Haul 16 ft Vacationer
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
Welcome! While there aren't as many UHauls out there compared to other brands, there are still lots of folks who can help with your issues. These are really sturdy little trailers that were built to handle the rigors of regular renting by inexperienced users. You can also find help at the UHaul trailer forum if you haven't already discovered it: UHaulCamper.com • Index page. We have your trailer's big brother - the 16' VT!
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 01:32 PM   #6

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
We had a pretty grungy stovetop when we bought our UHaul. Hubby just cleaned it up; works fine, although since we bought the Coleman stove, it rarely gets used.

I am the other half of the previous aforementioned UHaul VT.

Welcome to the forum and the UHaul family.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 07:12 PM   #7

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Welcome, we're neighbors down in Ridgway, not many of us in these parts! Humphrey RV in G.J. has been a good resource and has a pretty decent "graveyard". We'll look for you on the road!
Scott
Scott H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 01:13 PM   #8

Colorado
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott H View Post
Welcome, we're neighbors down in Ridgway, not many of us in these parts! Humphrey RV in G.J. has been a good resource and has a pretty decent "graveyard". We'll look for you on the road!
Scott
Thanks Scott, I know I will be down that way a few times this summer. I like Cayton campground down by Lizard Head.
Old 05-12-2011, 02:38 PM   #9

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Registry
good thing is it's small and cleans up fast....welcome
Bruce Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 04:00 PM   #10

Colorado
Registry
Yeah, big job in a small package. Another question if I may, do you know what the stenciled numbers above the bumper might mean? Stock number?
Also, any idea where to get new door weatherstripping?
Thanks!
Old 05-12-2011, 04:01 PM   #11

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
I would think that was the rental unit #.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 04:03 PM   #12

Colorado
Registry
Cool! Haven't seen my big brother style yet, but will keep an eye out.
Old 05-12-2011, 04:04 PM   #13

Colorado
Registry
You are probably right. Thanks
Old 05-12-2011, 04:17 PM   #14

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
The nice thing about Uhauls is that the walls are smooth, so you can just scrub them down. I like to use suction shelving and towel racks that you can get at Bed, Bath & Beyond and/or Walmart. If you get the strongest kind, it usually holds up while driving.

The cushion covers, if original, are washable. I tried taking ours to the dry-cleaners; I wish I could remember what they said that they were made of, but they have to be washed. The dry-cleansers would not touch them.

The biggest issue with UHauls is their proprietary equipment. If you need rims, we just found out that UHaul removed them from their website, so you may not be able to order them any longer.

I love the design of ours. I loved our previous Burro which is almost a twin to the Uhaul CT. I hope you enjoy yours as much as we enjoy ours.

Maiden 2011 voyage of our Howie, the Uhaul tomorrow, headed for the fish fry.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 04:35 PM   #15

Colorado
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyL View Post
The nice thing about Uhauls is that the walls are smooth, so you can just scrub them down. I like to use suction shelving and towel racks that you can get at Bed, Bath & Beyond and/or Walmart. If you get the strongest kind, it usually holds up while driving.

The cushion covers, if original, are washable. I tried taking ours to the dry-cleaners; I wish I could remember what they said that they were made of, but they have to be washed. The dry-cleansers would not touch them.

The biggest issue with UHauls is their proprietary equipment. If you need rims, we just found out that UHaul removed them from their website, so you may not be able to order them any longer.

I love the design of ours. I loved our previous Burro which is almost a twin to the Uhaul CT. I hope you enjoy yours as much as we enjoy ours.

Maiden 2011 voyage of our Howie, the Uhaul tomorrow, headed for the fish fry.

CindyL
Thanks Cindy,
I've been taking measurements for days to have with me in case I see just that specila something.
Patti