New Egg - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-19-2007, 05:50 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I was at the RV Show in Grand Rapids yesterday and saw one of these
http://www.eggcamper.com/

Looked good

He started manufacturing them in 2005

Anyone familar with them
Joanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 06:18 PM   #2

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Good find, Joan.

Here's a couple of threads...

One of a Kind

Egg Camper... New trailer brand coming

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 06:29 PM   #3

Well I guess I should have known you all would already be "IN THE KNOW"!

Old 01-19-2007, 08:21 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Well I guess I should have known you all would already be "IN THE KNOW"!
That's okay Joanie...we can talk about the Eggcamper again. 99.9% of us only know what we've read on their website...you've actually seen one (?). Care to share your thoughts...the good and/or bad?

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 08:29 PM   #5

Trailer: Cadet 1985 / 2006 Element
Do we have a price
DonInChatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 09:11 PM   #6

Trailer: Burro 17 ft Widebody
Registry
As I looked at the website it became clear that this is a relative of my Burro, with insulated double shells joined along the roof, etc. The seam may be done a little differently; maybe this one has a flat flange-to-flange type joint. (My late Burro has the seam done so the joint is smooth on the outside and in contrast this one may be an attempt to make double-sure it does not come apart. Or it could be a different production and assembly method.) He has dropped those graphics which caused some comment.

It sure looks "eggier" and smoother than mine and I actually like it quite a lot. Another window or two would be nice, but the interior has some of that "refrigerator" look we so much appreciate. The cabinet doors are flat as opposed to the curved fiberglass ones on mine, but these would be a cinch to redo in nice frame-and-panel doors. I would probably have picked a lighter wood like maple to keep the interior bright. From my point of view this one would be one I would seriously consider if I didn't have the Burro. I vote we keep tabs on this one and root for it to succeed.
Per Walthinsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 10:39 PM   #7

I liked it a lot. I really like the fiberglass gel coat walls, so bright
The owner told me it was wider than a Scamp.
The floorplan was nice but the shower/bath didn't come with a shower curtain/door at all?

As a and this being first fiberglass rig I have ever seen, I probably wasn't very objective because I just thought it was adorable!

It left me wanting to see more fiberglass rigs and of course the Scamp Fiver as that
is the rig I am considering
Old 01-19-2007, 10:42 PM   #8

I am sure he told me but I was too busy saying adorable over and over again and forgot, sorry

Quote:
Do we have a price
Old 01-20-2007, 06:51 PM   #9

Trailer: 1986 U-Haul CT13 ft
Interesting floor plans. Glad to see they've put the seam right way 'round!
jack maloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 06:56 PM   #10

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
It's good to see this design succeeding, as choice is always good. Also, I see there is much more information in the web site now, including floorplans.

Quote:
...The owner told me it was wider than a Scamp. ..
In the specs at the bottom of the home page it is shown as 88 inches wide, or 7' 4" (2.24 m), about the same as my 17' Boler, and 8" wider than the typical egg (such as a Scamp).

The 80" (6' 8", about 2m) width is the limit for trailers before wide-vehicle clearance lights are required, which may be one reason why that width is popular... or maybe that's just enough for a "long enough" crosswise bed. While I appreciate that the extra width makes interior packaging easier, many of us have tow vehicles which are significantly narrower than 88", and having the trailer so much wider is a problem for both rear vision and aerodynamics.

Quote:
As I looked at the website it became clear that this is a relative of my Burro, with insulated double shells joined along the roof, etc. The seam may be done a little differently; maybe this one has a flat flange-to-flange type joint. (My late Burro has the seam done so the joint is smooth on the outside and in contrast this one may be an attempt to make double-sure it does not come apart. Or it could be a different production and assembly method.)
I noticed this in the FAQ:
Quote:
[b]WILL CENTER SEAM COME APART?
IT IS JOINED WITH ADHESIVE STRONGER THAN THE SUBSTRATE
AND THEN FIBERGLASS LAYERED INSIDE
If that apparent standing seam is flanged edges of the shells, then I guess this is basically Boler construction rolled over 90 degrees, with the adhesive which Boler neglected to use, and with some unknown finishing process instead of a trim piece. It might be quite solid.

If it is, as the website shows, 2000 lb before options, at this size it must have just about everything optional.

I see that the Eggcamper has acquired the expected fittings through the walls since we first saw photos. At the time, it was a no-[b]propane setup, but the currently featured unit has "Suburban gas appliances", including what looks like a propane-fired water heater. Does anyone have any idea what the grill on the street side - lined up with the area under the forward dinette seat - might be for? It would be a good place for a furnace, but a strange outside grill for one.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 12:41 AM   #11

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe / 1996 Dakota 4x4 V6
Maybe that mystery grille is for an AC window-type unit? I don't see an AC on the roof.
P
Palmer M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 08:53 AM   #12

Trailer: 2007 Casita Liberty Deluxe 17 ft / Honda Odyssey
It's missing the critical rear picture window as a result of the center seam!
Patrick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 09:26 AM   #13

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Burro has a center seam. I have a window.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 11:44 AM   #14

Trailer: 13 ft U-Haul
I had to laugh when reading the descriptions on the manufacturers website.

"How much does it weight?"

"Kiddie Smoke Alarm" (...it's a "Kidde" alarm - pronounced 'kidda')

The section describing the construction of the trailer has a couple of run-on sentences which lack the use of commas.

I know, I know... I shouldn't judge the trailer itself by playing "grammar police" concerning ther website. But it doesn't look very professional when you have somebody with 7th grade English skills describing your product.

That, and I don't want a smoke alarm made by some little "kiddie."
Buck62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 11:53 AM   #15

Trailer: 2007 Casita Liberty Deluxe 17 ft / Honda Odyssey
Quote:
Burro has a center seam. I have a window.
Does that perhaps say that Burro thought through their design a little more carefully, and indeed, you are a lucky person!
Patrick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 01:06 PM   #16

Trailer: Casita 17 ft 2004
Quote:

The section describing the construction of the trailer has a couple of run-on sentences which lack the use of commas.

I know, I know... I shouldn't judge the trailer itself by playing "grammar police" concerning ther website. But it doesn't look very professional when you have somebody with 7th grade English skills describing your product.

Hey, do a search on the web. There is a "kiddie" smoke alarm. I have seen them in stores here in the south.
Susan Tiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 01:39 PM   #17

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Hey, do a search on the web. There is a "kiddie" smoke alarm. I have seen them in stores here in the south.

I just did. Every one I saw that said "kiddie" was actually a "kidde".
Old 01-25-2007, 02:21 PM   #18

Trailer: 1985 Scamp 13 ft
Send a message via Yahoo to Tirah
Quote:

Maybe they got one of their local elementary school kids to create their website for them at no cost, maybe English is their second language, maybe they forgot to edit before posting, maybe they didn't have their morning coffee before creating the site...er...maybe they trained their cat to write and publish webpages?

(The elementary/high school English teacher in me is cringing)

Looks like a neat trailer, though. They certainly seem to have some great skills when it comes to building a fiberglass RV.
Tirah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 02:41 PM   #19

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
I think most moulded fiberglass trailers have at least one opening across the seam; for instance, it is the door in my Boler. Such openings do pose structural and finishing challenges, and it makes sense to me to minimize them. I can't imagine that I would care much if my Boler had two windows flanking the rear centreline, but the Eggcamper has none at all. I think the lack of rear windows has more to do with the curve than the seam.

I find the presentation of information on many websites to be disappointing, and while I do take it as an indication of how the company operates, I try to remember that they may just be concentrating on things that really matter, and forgetting the importance of their appearance to customers.

Ditto Byron's comment on "Kiddie"... just because someone else has it wrong, doesn't make it right. It does make it hard to search for information.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 10:58 AM   #20

Trailer: 2005 17 ft Casita
Any price quotes yet? Here in Wyoming it is a long way to any dealer of an egg.
Randya is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eggcamper