New EggCampers - First Hand Info - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2019, 01:48 PM   #1

Name: Todd
Trailer: coleman pop up
Michigan
New EggCampers - First Hand Info

Our family has camped in a small pop-up camper for over 20 years. Now that the kids are no longer camping with us, my wife and I have considered getting a small RV trailer and found the fiberglass shell style attractive. So I was checking out the manufacturer's web pages listed at this forum and found the EggCamper still listed but it's status unclear (out of business, but maybe coming back?). Since I live about 5 minutes from the "factory", I decided to drive by and check it out. I met the two guys who are taking over and had a nice chat with them. Here is is some of what I found out.

The original owner built about 130 EggCampers while he was in business, but it apparently was never a full-time proposition for him. He tinkered in building lots of other things such as patio furniture, airplanes, recline bicycles, etc... However he hurt his back some time ago and that took him out of the RV business. The new guys (I don't think they said what their relationship was with the original owner) said they entered into discussions about taking over the business a couple of months ago, but just finalized the deal three weeks ago (so this is all very recent). However the original owner is selling the building (a non-descript warehouse a half a block of the main road in downtown Grandville) so the new guys will have to relocate. They have spent the last few weeks cleaning out years of debris left by the previous owner, keeping just the molds and tools needed to make the EggCampers. They are having a hard time finding a new place since all the warehouses in town are being rented by people wanting to start up pot-growing facilities now that MI legalized recreational pot use last Nov. However they are confident they will find a place soon and start production once they get relocated. They plan to make some spec trailers which would be available for purchase next year. Once production is up and running they could start taking custom orders. There are also molds for a teardrop camper (also on their webpage), but they don't plan on resurrecting that until the EggCamper production is back on-line.

As for the product, they don't have a new model to display at this time. The only complete camper they have is the original owner's original prototype he built for himself. Unlike the prototype, all the interior furnishing of the new production models will be made of molded fiberglass. The floor plan however has not changed and basically like a 16' Scamp Layout #6. In the front is a shower/toilet in one corner and a large storage closet in the other. On the side opposite the door is a 2 seat dinette. Opposite that is the kitchen. The back had the double bed (converts to a large table). There are small overhead storage units that run the whole length of the sides and back, but you need to be pretty tall to reach them. There is also some storage in the kitchen and under the table seats.

These are going to be all electric units (no propane). Their logic was that adding propane adds a lot of complexity. They seemed keen on minimizing the number of holes they have to drill in the shell which are sources of potential leaks and weak spots. The campers will come with a window AC unit mounted inside a dinette seat (not on the roof) that could be removed if you would rather have extra storage space under that seat. The kitchen has an electric stove with a microwave above and a small refrigerator below. They didn't say anything about a heater. There will be a bracket for mounting a small generator on the tongue. There is an awing available for outside.

They were proud of several feature that they claim distinguishes the EggCamper from other fiberglass RVs, such as the sturdier than necessary 4' I beam frame (made by them), their custom suspension system, and the generous interior dimensions. The original owner is 6'7" so he built it to fit him. They also claim it is wider than the competitors so a tall person can lay out in the bed. It did feel quite roomy, but not having any other campers of this type on hand, I can't give a fair comparison. They could not give a price point for the new trailers until they actually make some trailers and discover what their material and labor investments will actually be. They did seem to think they finished trailers will come in at around 2000 lbs.

They new guys were very nice and seemed very keen on making this a viable business in the near future. I shared some of my ideas for things I would like in a camper and seemed eager to receive my input. I wished them the best of luck and hope they can start making great campers very soon. We very well may be one of their customers. They plan to upgrade their website soon so you can look there for future updates. When I saw some recent posts here about EggCampers, I figured I could take advantage of my proximity to their location to post more detailed info for you all.
Todd A C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 02:47 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Complexity be d----d, there are a lot of folks that would never buy a trailer without an LP system. We've used our Scamp seven years without once plugging into power. Even where available, the power sites are typically more expensive and less desirable.

I think they're making a mistake there. I foresee a contraction of RV sales in coming years. Why limit your market further?
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 03:15 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I was listening to a report on RVs a couple days ago. They predict market to increase. It's no longer only us seniors in the market. Increasingly millennials are getting into the act. They are looking at smaller RVs and forgoing the motor homes and monster buses.
KOA opening dozens of new parks.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottaw...ials-1.5011608

I too would not consider a trailer without propane. I like camping, not parking. Wheels also introduce complexity.
Old 07-31-2019, 03:33 PM   #4

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Thanks for the report. Sounds like they are going to build them with the very same interior as before, so many of us are familiar with what that looks like. Eggcampers are a solid design. Even though many of us demand LP on our trailers, we should all be able to appreciate that there are enough RVers out there who don't feel the same absolute need and will still order these (as we have seen from strong sales of other electric-only trailers in recent years). I wish them well and I hope they locate a good place soon.

I just sent them an email with an idea about finding a new location.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 03:40 PM   #5

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
There is an electric heater built in the kitchen wall next to the refer and an electric water heater. I added a propane Wave heater to my 2007 Eggcamper (NestEgg) as well as solar and dual batteries. But when I inquired about thermal windows I found out about Escape Trailers and have been with them since 2012. I believe the rear bed was closer to a queen since the EggCamper is so wide.
Old 07-31-2019, 09:34 PM   #6

Name: Todd
Trailer: coleman pop up
Michigan
We did talk at length about the pros and cons of utilities in general (and propane specifically). We never camp at electric sites as they are generally at RV parks where the trailers are stacked on top of each other like cord wood (not our idea of camping). We tend to go to places with pit toilets and hand pumps for water. We could get by without propane IN the trailer. In 21 years we have never used our stove in our camper. It always mounts outside next to the door under the awning. The new EggCamper guys thought that providing a mount for a propane stove there would make sense. If the propane is only outside, you don't need the stove vent or the CO monitor in the trailer.

We just use ice chests to keep food cold so we don't really need a fridge or ice box. I've never used the water system in our camper. We have two 5 gallon buckets I fill at the campground pump. We don't have a furnace or AC. I eventually realized that the heavy expensive 12 V RV battery was only being used to run a few lights so I took that off and instead got box full of LED puck lights that run on AA's. Much cheaper and easier (and no wiring needed). We have a Thedford Port-a-potty we use for middle of the night needs. It would be nice to have an enclosed space for this, but don't really need an installed toilet. It is very easier to just carry the port-a-potty to the toilet to dump and hose it down in the yard after camping. I would think that would be easier than messing with dump stations and cleaning fixed black water tanks and toilets.

In general, most utilities are things that add cost and require maintenance and repairs. Unfortunately, trailers are not usually designed for people who camp as we do.
Todd A C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 10:12 PM   #7

I recommend a pup tent and an old Sears catalogue.
Old 08-01-2019, 09:44 AM   #8

Name: Steve
Trailer: Escape 15A
Minnesota
Registry
I agree, I don't really use propane in the camper. I have a 12V fridge that rides in and is powered by the vehicle, and a battery pack that also charges from the vehicle for powering my CPAP. I cook outside. There is a propane stove in the camper but I have never used it. The camper is really just a sleeping chamber, life is outside.
Steve Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 10:32 AM   #9

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
We bought an EggCamper back in 2011. It was all electric. It was not satisfactory for us so We had a propane cooktop and furnace added. Much more useable. Sold it because the dinette that made into a bed was too short for an adult. The fridge was also too small with the freezer compartment just big enough for a small ice cube tray or maybe a pound of hamburger. Otherwise it was a very nice trailer.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 11:20 AM   #10

Name: R.T.
Trailer: Big Foot
Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Complexity be d----d, there are a lot of folks that would never buy a trailer without an LP system. We've used our Scamp seven years without once plugging into power. Even where available, the power sites are typically more expensive and less desirable.

I think they're making a mistake there. I foresee a contraction of RV sales in coming years. Why limit your market further?
I agree with your prediction Jon. I'm already seeing a lot of used units (not fiberglass) on the side of the road with for sale signs. I see tough times coming for the rv industry.
dblcola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 12:41 PM   #11

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
My crystal ball is a little foggy but I see a downturn in RV sales coming as well. Heck, its already happening, so no crystal ball is required. Nothing goes up forever.

Through June 2019, RV sales are down about 20% versus 2018. Meanwhile, several manufacturers have been increasing capacity. Witness Escape has a fall sale this year.

2017 was a record year. In fact, each year has been hitting a new record for several years. 2018 ended that trend, 2019 will put an exclamation point on it.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 05:09 PM   #12

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
our last road trip, in 3300 miles and 18 nights, we only had power 8 of those nights (4 each at two different sites). we used the heater most nights, and hot water every day (showers, dishes). at least 4 nights, we were roadside camping while traveling between places, so cooking inside was a must. we used the propane oven quite a lot to bake frozen foods we'd made at home.

I think of our Escape more as a rolling cabin than 'camping'.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 06:46 PM   #13

Trailer: 2019 Oliver Elite II
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd A C View Post
Our family has camped in a small pop-up camper for over 20 years. Now that the kids are no longer camping with us, my wife and I have considered getting a small RV trailer and found the fiberglass shell style attractive. So I was checking out the manufacturer's web pages listed at this forum and found the EggCamper still listed but it's status unclear (out of business, but maybe coming back?). Since I live about 5 minutes from the "factory", I decided to drive by and check it out. I met the two guys who are taking over and had a nice chat with them. Here is is some of what I found out.

The original owner built about 130 EggCampers while he was in business, but it apparently was never a full-time proposition for him. He tinkered in building lots of other things such as patio furniture, airplanes, recline bicycles, etc... However he hurt his back some time ago and that took him out of the RV business. The new guys (I don't think they said what their relationship was with the original owner) said they entered into discussions about taking over the business a couple of months ago, but just finalized the deal three weeks ago (so this is all very recent). However the original owner is selling the building (a non-descript warehouse a half a block of the main road in downtown Grandville) so the new guys will have to relocate. They have spent the last few weeks cleaning out years of debris left by the previous owner, keeping just the molds and tools needed to make the EggCampers. They are having a hard time finding a new place since all the warehouses in town are being rented by people wanting to start up pot-growing facilities now that MI legalized recreational pot use last Nov. However they are confident they will find a place soon and start production once they get relocated. They plan to make some spec trailers which would be available for purchase next year. Once production is up and running they could start taking custom orders. There are also molds for a teardrop camper (also on their webpage), but they don't plan on resurrecting that until the EggCamper production is back on-line.

As for the product, they don't have a new model to display at this time. The only complete camper they have is the original owner's original prototype he built for himself. Unlike the prototype, all the interior furnishing of the new production models will be made of molded fiberglass. The floor plan however has not changed and basically like a 16' Scamp Layout #6. In the front is a shower/toilet in one corner and a large storage closet in the other. On the side opposite the door is a 2 seat dinette. Opposite that is the kitchen. The back had the double bed (converts to a large table). There are small overhead storage units that run the whole length of the sides and back, but you need to be pretty tall to reach them. There is also some storage in the kitchen and under the table seats.

These are going to be all electric units (no propane). Their logic was that adding propane adds a lot of complexity. They seemed keen on minimizing the number of holes they have to drill in the shell which are sources of potential leaks and weak spots. The campers will come with a window AC unit mounted inside a dinette seat (not on the roof) that could be removed if you would rather have extra storage space under that seat. The kitchen has an electric stove with a microwave above and a small refrigerator below. They didn't say anything about a heater. There will be a bracket for mounting a small generator on the tongue. There is an awing available for outside.

They were proud of several feature that they claim distinguishes the EggCamper from other fiberglass RVs, such as the sturdier than necessary 4' I beam frame (made by them), their custom suspension system, and the generous interior dimensions. The original owner is 6'7" so he built it to fit him. They also claim it is wider than the competitors so a tall person can lay out in the bed. It did feel quite roomy, but not having any other campers of this type on hand, I can't give a fair comparison. They could not give a price point for the new trailers until they actually make some trailers and discover what their material and labor investments will actually be. They did seem to think they finished trailers will come in at around 2000 lbs.

They new guys were very nice and seemed very keen on making this a viable business in the near future. I shared some of my ideas for things I would like in a camper and seemed eager to receive my input. I wished them the best of luck and hope they can start making great campers very soon. We very well may be one of their customers. They plan to upgrade their website soon so you can look there for future updates. When I saw some recent posts here about EggCampers, I figured I could take advantage of my proximity to their location to post more detailed info for you all.
I wouldn't buy any trailer that has not been in business for 10 plus years. Looks like a good way to loose money, don't get sucked in by what you hear and see, there are Casita's, Scamps and other trailers that have stood the test of time, spend your money on a sure thing. Remember Lil Snoozy looked good and you can see where there are today, a lot of people lost thousand of dollars on a promise.

trainman
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 06:25 PM   #14

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Cooking indoors in my propane-less Hauley is easy with my 2-burner LP (tiny bottle) camp stove or my 1-burner butane unit. The thing I miss is the climate control of a thermostat/furnace (and an air conditioner... but that's another issue).
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 09:37 PM   #15

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
If you find a floor plan that works for you, then adding propane is not a big deal.
Not knowing where life would take us, our LS has a generator, solar, Maxx Fan, air conditioning, propane, and adjustable ride height Flexi-ride axle.
Happy Trails
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 09:52 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by David B. View Post
If you find a floor plan that works for you, then adding propane is not a big deal.

Except that it is much cheaper if it is part of the build.
Old 08-03-2019, 12:11 AM   #17

Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post

I think of our Escape more as a rolling cabin than 'camping'.
This fits our use too. We deliberately go to where it's cold, or spend a lot of nights while traveling, at rest stops, or parks we just happen to find. Most of the time I really prefer not to have hookups, unless we are going to stay for a week, or need to do the tanks and laundry. We even park in the yard at relative's while visiting and enjoy our cabin. So do the grandkids.

So, propane is really important for the fridge, for cooking, hot water and for heat. Stopping at a rest stop/picnic area means no setup outside. The awning stays in, cooking is done inside and we keep a general low profile.

When we do arrive where we will be for a while, we do lots of cooking and hanging out outside. One of the big plusses for the new HQ19 is the excellent outside kitchen. It means Liye can easily make her famous spring rolls that people stand in line for. It's something we will not make inside the trailer. And it uses propane.

If a downturn comes, I wonder which style of trailer will best survive? Will it be the cheap to buy sticky, like Jayco, or will it be the specialty fiberglass molded trailer. Will it be the Scamp type, or the Oliver type of fiberglass trailer?

It seems that trailers are being ordered with lots of options these days, such as solar, inverters, fancy interiors, tankless water heaters, double awnings, etc. Things that make them nice to live in, instead of used just as a shelter for camping.

As a kid, camping in tents, I had a blast. It never occurred to me that we needed anything else. Those days are long gone and I really like the luxurious little cabin.
Old 08-03-2019, 05:06 AM   #18

Name: Tony
Trailer: Scamp
Ohio
I'm too new to have a clue about the market trends. However I do have a data point, Scamp has recently upped their production rate from 10 campers a week to 14. I'm guessing they didn't like their 10 month backlog.

For me price and weight are the key to success with the millennials. They seem to take pride in simplicity, which is one of the things I respect about their generation. However, my feet and back keep comfort and convenience in my deliberations. As you can tell, I'm easily confused.
Tony D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 11:03 AM   #19

Name: Joe
Trailer: 2013 EggCamper & 2011 Silverado Reg Cab 4x4
Ohio
EggCamper Improvements!

Great news they are coming back! We currently are on our 3rd summer in our EggCamper! I'd love to talk to them about what we feel would be good OEM improvements! But all in all - a great camper - we love it! At 6'6" tall, I love the height and bed being taller than I am!
2013 EggCamper #120

Joe's EggCamper Journal
Joe & Cherie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 11:35 AM   #20

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainman View Post
I wouldn't buy any trailer that has not been in business for 10 plus years. Looks like a good way to loose money, don't get sucked in by what you hear and see, there are Casita's, Scamps and other trailers that have stood the test of time, spend your money on a sure thing. Remember Lil Snoozy looked good and you can see where there are today, a lot of people lost thousand of dollars on a promise.

trainman
I did not know that Olivers have been in business that long? I remember back in 2014 when Jim Oliver looked at my new Escape and asked me about what I liked and did not like. He had Robert Partee bring a prototype Oliver to the Townsend Rally but Jim was in a large motor home.

Tags
eggcamper