New Escape 17 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-11-2008, 02:32 AM   #1

Trailer: Escape 17 ft 2008
I just picked up a new 2008 Escape 17 Plan "C". I put the C in parens because it is a new model designed around my plans. Reace and Tammy at Escape were very accomodating and patient while we worked out the details of my modifications. Essentially it is one of their Plan B's with the head/shower replaced with closets, drawers and a porta-potty storage. I also had a 4" lift and extended rear bumper for more suitability for off-road use. I will post a photo or two soon. I will be full-timing in this rig so extra storage was important.

I have been full-timing for 4 years now. I started out with a Jayco 21' (too heavy) pulled with a Tundra (low fuel mileage) but fell in love with Sportsmobile 4X4 vans and soon bought one. Full-timing and every day driving in this heavy duty rig has grown uncomfortable after 3 years, so now it is for sale.

I hope to buy a Toyota Tacoma or possibly an FJ Cruiser as my my new tow vehicle. My trailer will weigh about 2800# loaded (my estimate) and the two 4X4's listed above are rated at 6500 and 5000 towing, but I have never paid much attention to those often exagerated ratings. Anybody have any real experience with either rig towing a comparable trailer? I should explain that I am concered about horsepower as I really don't want to be loafing up those grades or struggling to merge/pass safely.

Alan "Ace" Brown
Grand Rivers, KY when not on the road (seldom not)
Presently traveling down the Oregon coast.

Ace Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 08:48 AM   #2

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
congrats on you getting a brand new trailer!! Lucky you!!
Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 09:30 AM   #3

Trailer: 17 ft Escape
We tow our Escape with a Toyota Tacoma quad cab. We aren't roaring up the hills but then that's to be expected with a V6. Besides when you roar up the hills, no matter what you're driving, you're literally pouring the gas into the engine. I don't think you can have great power and great gas mileage and we choose great gas mileage.

p.s. you're going to love that little trailer!!
Jen'nBarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 10:31 AM   #4

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
Reace (Escape Trailers) does make a super trailer and they do try to accomodate whenever possible!

Keep us posted on your adventures!!!
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 04:03 PM   #5

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Experienced RV pullers generally support the 75% Rule -- Multiply your tow capacity by 75% and you will have plenty of reserve to compensate for bad conditions, altitude (Ford recommends reducing GCWR by 2% for every 1,000' of altitude above sea level), normal deterioration of TV and perhaps longer life for critical TV components.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 04:48 PM   #6

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Ace... I have only seen 1 Escape trailer in real life...dreamed about 1 for a long time. I think their product is 1st. rate. Is the "C" designation for Closet??? Enjoy and !!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 05:18 PM   #7

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Hi Ace
Congrats on your new Escape. Mine is waiting for me to pick up and i am having a hard time waiting. The weather has got in my way.
Enjoy.
Old 02-11-2008, 06:01 PM   #8

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
Chester, I know there is a fair chunk of ice between you and I but the new crop of 'canadian grass' that we have just had is for the most part DRIED UP (N O T!!!!)or washed away.

Saying that, we have still a foot of that LOVLY white stuff in our back 40, while friends in the 'Wack say its almost totally bare there. Next probable chance of white stuff rejuvination is expected in about 2 weeks. Wanna make a 'run for it' ....LOL!!

Snow load rating on the Trillium must be real high, because at one point it had 2 ft. (measured) on it!
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 06:06 PM   #9

Trailer: 17 ft Escape
Congratulations Ace!

We tow our Escape Plan B with an 04 Nissan Pathfinder automatic. In 07 we towed into the 4 Corners area and Baja California as far south as Cabo San Lucas from the Victoria BC area.

The Pathy pulls the Escape beautifully, we maintain the posted freeway and highway speeds with no problems, you know it's there on the long grades. For example, on Goat Pass in California, north of Palm Springs we had dropped to 35 mph and we pulled over for a Tundra without a tow, it was so steep even it did not pass.

You will find the extra height lift is worthwhile, we did damage to a front trailer jack on a steep driveway in Baja. It was so steep the u-bolt holding the chain on the WDH sheared on contact. Very embarrasing noise, but a quick fix.

Enjoy your new adventure

Gerry & Verna
"The Escapists"

Gerry W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 06:06 PM   #10

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Hello
Ace

Congratulations to your new Escape.Tammy and Reace sure are accomodating.We had a few changes done also.Ours was ordered in July 2004 and we took delivery in Jan. 2005 production : # 35.Plan B.Works for us but sometime I wish I had a little more groundclearance, maybe in the near future i will talk to Reace about raising the axle.Pulling with reconditioned -88 Ford 4x4 150 matching paintjob.
We are heading to Quartsite and area later on this week should be gone for six weeks.
Enjoy your new rig.

Allan and Raili Bornestig
North Vancouver BC.

Allan Bornestig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 06:10 PM   #11

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Chester, I know there is a fair chunk of ice between you and I but the new crop of 'canadian grass' that we have just had is for the most part DRIED UP (N O T!!!!)or washed away.

Saying that, we have still a foot of that LOVLY white stuff in our back 40, while friends in the 'Wack say its almost totally bare there. Next probable chance of white stuff rejuvination is expected in about 2 weeks. Wanna make a 'run for it' ....LOL!!

Snow load rating on the Trillium must be real high, because at one point it had 2 ft. (measured) on it!
Thanks Doug for info. My end is bad. One person killed yesterday on road leading out. This road has no shoulders so one must be very carefull.
Old 02-11-2008, 07:16 PM   #12

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Congrats on your new Escape!

I'd suspect that either the Tacoma or the FJ Cruiser would work. I'd base my choice on whether a pickup bed and more wheelbase is more useful than what the 'Cruiser offers. Wheelbase is worth it's weight in gold when towing. Four real doors and extra payload are available on the Tacoma... and if you want the bed covered, you can always buy a topper.

I've got an '02 4WD Tundra access cab (the short 4dr that's the size of the new Tacomas) with the 3.4L V6 and absolutely love it. I'd get a Tacoma, but they just don't offer enough over what I've got to invest that much more in a new truck.

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 11:09 PM   #13

Trailer: 1998 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe / Red F150 X-Cab
Haven't a clue on towing capacity, but a friend was telling me he tried a FJ Cruiser and the blind spots were huge! He didn't buy one for that reason. Big blind spots coupled with pulling a trailer? I dunno....
Lisa M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 11:01 AM   #14

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe / 1996 Dakota 4x4 V6
Quote:
Sportsmobile 4X4 vans
Congratulations on the new Escape!
What is a Sportsmobile 4x4 van?

P
Palmer M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 01:05 AM   #15

Trailer: Escape 17 ft 2008
I tried to reply to all the comments, questions and congrats posted but it disapeared in cyber-space and it is late now so I will just say thanks for all the good wishes, and towing replies.

I will keep up more postings on my continued road trip, now almost 4 years running.

If there is anyone out there wanting to see an Escape in person and you live close to my route to Kentucky give me a call at 270-217-3935. roughly I will be going south on 101, eventually over to I-5, south on 99, east thru the Mojave, southern AZ, NM, TX and eventually back to Kentucky. I will consider possibilities but will not drive significantly out of my way, but if you drive to me that will be a different story.

Alan "Ace" Brown
2008 Escape 17, 2004 Sportsmobile 4X4 van
On the road near Brookings, OR
Ace Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 11:36 AM   #16

Trailer: Fiber Stream 16 ft 1982
Send a message via Yahoo to Benita
Sportsmobile
Benita is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
escape