New Escape 21' model - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-28-2012, 01:39 AM   #15

Name: Alfred
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2010 Nissan Frontier
Ontario
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: All... Isn't it fun to speculate on someone elses dime. As long as the basic build philosophy doesn't change...any length Escape will be a hit!!!
The customers are always the winners at Escape.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie

Old 07-28-2012, 12:03 PM   #16

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
I think the naysayer on ROTI was thinking of Burros, Uhauls and Eggcampers, Donna. I want one of everything but wouldn't want to tow some; wouldn't want to maintain most.

jack

Old 07-28-2012, 02:57 PM   #17

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
What's ROTI?
(other than the food)
Old 07-28-2012, 03:17 PM   #18
GPJ

Name: GP
Trailer: Looking
British Columbia
ROTI = RV, RV reviews, news and views. RV consumer reviews and more - Roaming Times Lots of trailer info.
Old 07-28-2012, 03:37 PM   #19

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit View Post
I think the naysayer on ROTI was thinking of Burros, Uhauls and Eggcampers, Donna. I want one of everything but wouldn't want to tow some; wouldn't want to maintain most.

jack
Did a google on the naysayer and they are hauling a stick weighing over 4000lbs........ forgot to mention what he has is apparently leaking ;-))
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 09:09 PM   #20
GPJ

British Columbia
I think that folks are getting too defensive over the comment in the Escape page on ROTI. I read it as the guy saying he wished that he could get a fiberglass interior so as to avoid the problems he had (with his sticky). Kinda patting the fiberglass trailers with fiberglass interiors on the back.

Elsewhere on the ROTI forum he states:

"Our family purchased a viewfinder and we had leakage from poor caulking around windows and faulty stabilizers in rear plus other problems. So far problems are being addressed under warranty but not sure what will happen when warranty runs out. "

Elsewhere he talks about his negative experiences towing this 4000lb trailer with his Tacoma.

Anyway, he seems to appreciate the qualities of our beloved eggs.
Old 07-28-2012, 09:31 PM   #21

Name: Dave
Trailer: 19 ft Escape ( aug 2012)
Alberta
I think the one aspect of Escape is the fact that they will modify and "customize" your trailer. I have never heard of any other trailer company that is acomidating like they are, Every other company has the motto of" we will build it you will buy it and like it how we build it "
Old 07-28-2012, 09:40 PM   #22

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMAC1 View Post
I think the one aspect of Escape is the fact that they will modify and "customize" your trailer. I have never heard of any other trailer company that is acomidating like they are, Every other company has the motto of" we will build it you will buy it and like it how we build it "
Exactly, even Airstreams will not change items on their $50,000 units. But Escape will make it the way you want it, so nice to work with. Also, Reace explains that in reality it is 18" bigger than the present Escape 19', but it appears to be larger because of the double vs queen beds.
Old 07-29-2012, 12:48 AM   #23
GPJ

British Columbia
I think that most small manufacturers will do what they can to build to the customer's wishes. People on the forum talk about Lil Snoozy (and Escape) being very willing in this regard, and I'm sure others are too.

Airstream and other large manufacturers simply cannot do these custom modifications - they have production lines with trailers moving from station to station on a fixed schedule usually making it all the way through the factory in a shift or two, and a trailer coming off the line many times a day. Everything is build on jigs or CNC and custom work simply isn't possible on those tight schedules and tight margins. Those that do "custom" work often take a finished unit and modify it in a separate shop after the fact. Search "lance trailer factory" or "cruiser trailer factory" or "caravan factory" on You Tube -- its very interesting to see how the production lines work and how inflexible they are in practice.

Luckily, molded fiberglass is not well suited to an automated production environment (long molding and cure times, expensive molds) and keeps the factories small and flexible. That benefits the egg purchaser IMHO.
Old 07-29-2012, 01:09 AM   #24

Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
Well ... I think that it is terrific that they are coming out with a 21' Trailer.

However, Escape does risk having too many models and losing $$ as a result. Wasn't this one of Bigfoot's problems? But, they know their business, they make an excellent product, so very best of luck.

One of the inconvenient truths in life: nothing is perfect
For instance, I love my 19' Bigfoot. I'd rather have my 19' over a 17' trailer. But like most trailer owners, I suffer from ... 2 feetitis. A Bigfoot 21' would give me a bigger bath and a queen bed that will fit me and my husband.

But ... with gas prices ... maybe I'll stick with my 19'. (or get a 13' )

If I had disposable $$$, I'd consider moving to an Escape 19 [with custom modifications] for the bigger bed and lighter weight. However, should nature call to me in the middle of the night, I'd have to crawl over my hubby. So, a 21' Escape may work even better at bedtime, and it would probably be lighter than a Bigfoot 21. And, you should still be able to get into most sites with ease. Of course, you'll need a more powerful TV.

Decisions ... $$$ ... Decisions ... Ain't life grand?
Old 07-29-2012, 01:34 AM   #25

Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
You like looking at your tug while eating a meal? NOT me, gotta look out the back at a lake, ocean or even trees.

Different strokes for different folks
Regarding the layout ... my 2 cents:
  • I do like the idea of a rear dinette
  • I do not like seeing a bed when entering a trailer. The location of the door should be moved aft.
  • I'd prefer having a partition to separate the bed from the main cabin.
  • I'd also like to be able to move between the bed and the bath.
Old 07-29-2012, 10:54 AM   #26

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
Needing a more powerful tug I think many already have those.
I like the idea of the 21 foot and would go to the 21 Bigfoot if money were not an issue but I'm alone most of the time when out so my 17 foot works great.
One of the worst decisions Bigfoot made was to go into the C class line.
I like the extra width of the Bigfoot it just takes more gas to pull.
Escape makes a fine product, I would like to see a different layout in that 21 foot.
Old 07-29-2012, 11:58 AM   #27

Name: Ken
Trailer: No Trailer Yet
US
I don't know Jane, weren't Bigfoot sold wholesale through traditional dealer retail network. Where Escape trailer is paid in full before it leaves their door. One is only built if paid for so I don't see having too many trailers. I am looking forward to seeing how this one looks. It's going to be nice.
Old 07-29-2012, 12:24 PM   #28

Name: Philip
Trailer: Escape 13 /Hyundai Santa Fe
British Columbia
Registry
Gosh, no 13 footer any more (unless special order) but adding a 21 footer. Guess some folks really do think bigger is better
Phil

Tags
escape