New Escape 21' model - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-31-2012, 11:18 AM   #43

Name: Dave
Trailer: 19 ft Escape ( aug 2012)
Alberta
I will be picking up my 19ft Escape end of next week, I started looking at used 21 ft bigfoot trailers ( not knowing about Escape ) and used newer ones were not not far from the price of a new 19 ft Escape that I got to have built how I wanted it, Not to mention that I actually prefer the lay out of the 19 ft Escape over the 21 ft Bigfoot for our needs. For me the narower and lighter Escape for ease of towing is a bennefit. Not saying the Escape is better than the Escape just that it suits what I want better and for similar money I am getting a new trailer how i want it over a used trailer. I am very gald i found out about the Escape before i bought a bigfoot.

Old 07-31-2012, 11:30 AM   #44

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
I would depend where you are camping to be able to qualify an Escape as a true 4 season trailer. Adding the insulation and heating for the tanks will extend its use, but I would not want to go out with it in -20°C temps. Bigfoot is definitely more of a 4 season trailer, but you pay for this will a lot of added weight for the size.

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 11:40 AM   #45

Alberta
I agree fully with Jim, I guess I don't view the escape as a true four season trailer. I don't ever plan to camp in the middle of winter. I just wanted to be able to extend the season a bit. I talked to Tammy @ Escape about this very topic when I ordered our trailer and they do not advertise the Escape as a 4 season trailer. Just that the dual pane windows and insulation packages are to "extend" the seasons
Old 07-31-2012, 01:04 PM   #46

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
As long as I have electric here in the states I think I can camp down to 15-20F. Now -20c equates to -4 F which seldom happens here in Pennsylvania. I figure I'm good down to 15F or -10C, after that it becomes dangerous. In Canada you guys are used to it.
Old 07-31-2012, 02:37 PM   #47

Alberta
I supose 4 season is relative to where you live. the 4th season for some means you just don't need a/c.
Old 07-31-2012, 03:23 PM   #48

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
I think you could easily go that low Jim, though not much lower, without fear of freezing. I have camped in fringe seasons with weather dropping to -5°C (23°F) a few times with no problems with freezing of my water. It did warm up not too bad during the day though.

One of the problems getting any lower, even with the extra insulation and dual glazed windows, is that there still is a lot of heat loss, resulting in the furnace running lots, and condensation forming on the cooler surfaces.

Up here, we get to turn the heat off for a few months of the year.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 04:09 PM   #49

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
All my other trailers (except for NestEgg) had aluminum in the walls and in the winter one could see condensation attaching to the aluminum studs all inside the trailer. The metal was bringing the outside cold inside the trailer. Escape will not do that.
Old 07-31-2012, 05:08 PM   #50

Name: David
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ)
Colorado
Thanks, all, for the perspective on whether the Escape is truly a four-season trailer. We don't generally camp all winter here in northern Wyoming, but the fall hunting seasons generally have sub-freezing nights. We previously had a Scamp, then a Casita, while living in Alaska. We had to winterize the plumbing by October 1st usually. At the present, I don't really need a serious four season trailer. But one that would tolerate moderate cold would be a real plus. One thing I noticed with the Casita was its lack of ability to hold heat, causing constant cycling of the furnace. The Bigfoot is obviously better insulated. It might be good to find out the R-value of the walls in a Bigfoot vs an Escape.

I am very intrigued by the Escape being lighter, less wind drag and less expensive when new than a Bigfoot. I had to buy a used Bigfoot because the sticker price was really extreme. The Bigfoot factory is also barely in production after the recent bankruptcy. Unlike Escape, I don't know if personal customizing is even an option since Bigfoot works through dealerships. When I get serious about buying again, I think Escape will get a really good look.
Old 08-02-2012, 07:27 PM   #51

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Oregon has four seasons:
rain, cold rain, crunchy rain, and construction
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 08:47 PM   #52

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Oregon has four seasons:
rain, cold rain, crunchy rain, and construction
Southern California also has 4 seasons:
$nowbird, June Gloom, Touri$t, and Fire!
Old 08-02-2012, 09:21 PM   #53

Alberta
I have camped in our old aluminum framed hardwalled 25 ft trailer at about -5 C over night, the trailer was already winterized and dry. and the furnace ran pretty much 50% duty cycle and i was only barley warm enough. I am hoping that in the Escape trailer this will be better. I don't realy see us camping in much colder than that. Summers are so short here that being able to be comfortable while streching the season will be nice.
Old 08-17-2012, 05:44 PM   #54

Name: Janet
Trailer: expecting our 19' Escape November 23, 2012
British Columbia
I wonder if a 21' fifth wheel is also on the drawing board..hmmmm I wonder if we should wait before taking that commitment step.....just sayin'
Old 08-17-2012, 05:58 PM   #55

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Red face Don't hold your breath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet W View Post
I wonder if a 21' fifth wheel is also on the drawing board..hmmmm

I understand that design certification and mold creation is a significant investment. Reace & Tammy have their hands full doing due diligence on the one they're working on now from market research feedback. You might contact them and ask directly...
Old 08-17-2012, 10:02 PM   #56
Commercial Member

Name: Deb & Chuck
Trailer: Bigfoot, Boler, Trillium, ECO, U-Haul, Burro, Escape, Trailswest, Compact Jr., Casita, Scamp
Washington
The Escape 21 will require a larger tow vehicle. It fits into a different market that Escape is missing. Bigfoot is making limited production 21FB. The B21FB had tongue weight issues. The old Bigfoot offered a 500# front weight. The bathroom and waste tanks were in the back of the trailer. With Escapes side bath they won't have weight issues. Escape builds a well planned trailer.

Tags
escape