New Escape 21' model - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-15-2012, 03:54 PM   #61

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Having gone the motorhome route, they can never be big enough. First it was large units without slideouts. Now we're up to 45 foot motorhomes with 4 slideouts. The same thing has happen to fifth wheels, even Jim Harley's Lance had a slideout.

I suppose it's not unlike the housing market where houses have become huge, having rooms where only the occasional dust mop goes.

When we first started we met a couple with a 45' fifth wheel. They always had to call ahead to get reservations though I admit they did have a pullout electric piano over the fireplace, a separate sewing room and a large center island kitchen.

Of course all this size meant they were limited in where they could go. Equally well fuel was a concern and when we met them gas was less that $1 a gallon.

I guess it all depends what you want to do. I suspect that size is some how related to the amount you travel.

What do people want bigger trailers or more time on the road?

We are a couple that used to live in a very large house, now we find our small beach cottage too large and our small Scamp very cozy yet people we've met since we've gotten home still wonder how "Ginny" could manage in such a small space.

With our new Galaxy S3 phones I find that the computers we carry are less necessary and may not make the trip next year..... small can be good.

My preference for some of these manufacturers is that they would become more clever with their existing platforms.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 04:51 PM   #62

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Fazio View Post
but I hope it comes with a dry bath. I too prefer to have the bed in the back and a couch looking into the camper (subsequently out the back window).
John, it will be a wet bath. Varying opinions out there, but I prefer this as the space saved can be put to better use for the way we camp. We rarely use the shower anyway.

I too prefer the bed at the back, especially if the door is at the front. I do not like the idea of walking past the quiet/sleeping area when coming in, and would rather have the bed at the furthest point from the door.

Two-foot-itis is a terrible disease among many RV'ers.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:11 AM   #63

Trailer: 2008 13 ft Scamp
I think the wet bath is a bummer in a trailer of that size, but that's just me. We enjoy several water sports which results in a bunch of wet gear. When necessary, tossing that gear in the shower keeps it out of the way and contained. However, we do use our shower so it does become a pain now and then.

Norm, I agree that everything is expanding much like the average size of us Americans and that trailer size is directly correlated to travel style. It's the old Tortoise and Hare except there are no winners, just a different pace. Throw in the difference of full timing, weekender, two week tripper etc. add some sports... no algorithm will ever exist to sort it out.

Now, if we can get someone to fund us so we won't have to run a business while on the road we'd gladly trade into something much smaller like a Sportsmobile and we'll deal with a wet bath, narrower width... whatever!

Jim, I think <insert some big drug company name here> is working on a pill for two-foot-itis. Just beware that the possible side effects may include vision loss, loss of appetite, depression, suicidal thoughts, internal bleeding, sudden or a long drawn out painfully excruciating class action lawsuit inducing death. I spoke to my doctor and he recommends taking your chances with the 21 footer... gotta stay on top of stuff like that

-John
John Fazio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:33 PM   #64

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Fazio View Post
Jim, I think <insert some big drug company name here> is working on a pill for two-foot-itis. Just beware that the possible side effects may include vision loss, loss of appetite, depression, suicidal thoughts, internal bleeding, sudden or a long drawn out painfully excruciating class action lawsuit inducing death. I spoke to my doctor and he recommends taking your chances with the 21 footer... gotta stay on top of stuff like that

-John
Thanks for the warning, I shall be cautious.

Our wet stuff is not allowed inside, and usually gets hung up on suction cup hooks outside the door, under the awning. Those good suction cups get lots of use on the exterior.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 11-16-2012, 12:57 PM   #65

Trailer: 2008 13 ft Scamp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Our wet stuff is not allowed inside, and usually gets hung up on suction cup hooks outside the door, under the awning. Those good suction cups get lots of use on the exterior.
I need to look into getting some of those suction cups. Right now I normally set-up a clothes line by using some kayak bow and stern ratcheting rope tie downs. Our problem comes from leaving camp to explore. Nice kayaking gear has the tendency, especially lately, of walking away with some new found friend so we're reduced to tossing it in the shower until we return. Most places it wouldn't be a problem but lately, festivals have turned into a five finger free for all. At one event someone had their $1000 dry suit stolen from the awning of their RV while they were inside it, inside the RV not the dry suit!

-John
John Fazio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:06 AM   #66

Registry
Yeah, that sucks when idiots feel they gain something by stealing your belongings. It is not just the cost to replace, but the hassle to do so, and the fact you can't do things as planned.

Kinda glad most of my camping is boondocking where there is no worries like this.

Those suction cups sure are great. Originally I bought some for use in the bath, but never really used them there much. Often we will have up to 6 lined up on the outside of our trailer. The really help with camp organization. Clothes, packs, dog leads, and so on are all neat and easy to find.
Old 11-17-2012, 10:39 AM   #67

Florida
Another alternative to suction cups are the removable plastic hooks. We use 4 to hold our awning on the roof. As well we have a simple clothes line that mounts on the rear bumper for wet towels and suits.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 11-28-2012, 12:21 AM   #68

Name: Gene
Trailer: Escape 19'
Oregon
From Honda: "For two days we have stopped in the Oregon Escapee park, there are unfilled sites, unusual for this time of the year."

What is the "Oregon Escapee Park"? I live in Oregon, and will soon have a new 19' model. Is this a place where Escape owners like to go?
blugene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:52 AM   #69

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Gene, Escapee's are not affiliated with Escape trailers. It's an RV club/association: Escapees RV Club

The Oregon Escapee's park is in Sutherlin, Oregon: Timber Valley SKP
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:27 AM   #70

Name: emily
Trailer: 2010 SCAMP
Georgia
Hi Donna...someone mentioned a great map for RVers and can't find the thread. I find your posts very informative and helpful. Thought you might know of one. Do you ever get over to the East Coast?

Emily
pageleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:40 AM   #71

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Gene, Escapee's are not affiliated with Escape trailers. It's an RV club/association: Escapees RV Club
Oh great, I suppose they don't tow with Ford Escapes, either.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:50 AM   #72

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
My preference for some of these manufacturers is that they would become more clever with their existing platforms.
That's what they have us for.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:04 AM   #73

Name: Chuck
Trailer: tp
Washington
I am working on a 1975 ECO looks like a Boler. The wood inside looks like it did when new. Wood in the floor looks new no rot no leaks. I did see a Bigfoot 5th wheel many years ago all the wood was rotten from sitting at the coast with the windows open. It could have gone through a flood.
FTTRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 02:17 PM   #74

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Smile Monster trailers

We got into FG camping from tenting. We immediately liked the small size upon seeing our first FG trailer. We don't understand the bigger is better philosophy. Having minimum possessions you own is better than having maximum possessions that own you IMHO. But, to each his own. All I know is we just love our Trillium 1300 and wouldn't trade it for anything bigger.

PS: I love post #57! - ROFL

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 03:43 PM   #75

Florida
Gene,

Sorry I missed your post on the Oregon Escapee Park. There is another park at the Sutherlin exit that is built on the grounds of a former drive in theater where they still show movies for park members. It looked friendly and fun. Though we're escapees and like the Sutherlin park we will probably try the drive-in just for a hoot next time.

Again sorry I missed your post Gene, we're on the road and not as active reading posts...

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 11-28-2012, 07:06 PM   #76

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Gene,

Sorry I missed your post on the Oregon Escapee Park. There is another park at the Sutherlin exit that is built on the grounds of a former drive in theater where they still show movies for park members. It looked friendly and fun.
This is the park ... looks like fun! Hi-Way Haven RV Park Home
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:51 PM   #77

Name: Chuck
Trailer: tp
Washington
escape 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Sounds like that individual is thinking of a stick built trailer. I haven't heard of any Escapes that have a problem with swelling and warping wood. Has anyone? And my all wood 24 year old Scamp certainly hasn't had any. Wood interiors allow a multitude of manufacturers and owner modifications, not so when there's a molded interior. What I'd like to see is a white wood interior. Deb's&Chuck's 21 foot Bigfoot is beautiful inside with the white wood... like it's stained or pickled, not painted. It really makes it seem huge inside.

Should be interesting to see the final product(s), but isn't speculation fun!
It would be nice to have a dry washroom with a shower stall. Being 4" wider would be roomier. No towing with a RAV4 or the like. It will need a full size tow rig.
FTTRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:49 AM   #78

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTTRV View Post
It would be nice to have a dry washroom with a shower stall. Being 4" wider would be roomier. No towing with a RAV4 or the like. It will need a full size tow rig.
In order to be successful a manufacture needs to produce something that others are not. There is already another fiberglass trailer manufacture that is producing a trailer as above and they also happen to be in the same region as Escape and are also very popular - so going head to head with them may not result in a great many sales.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:21 AM   #79

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
In order to be successful a manufacture needs to produce something that others are not. There is already another fiberglass trailer manufacture that is producing a trailer as above and they also happen to be in the same region as Escape and are also very popular - so going head to head with them may not result in a great many sales.
Methinks he already has said trailer. But you are absolutely correct, it is best to offer something other than what is on the market. As I had mentioned to Chuck on the Escape forum, I am just one of many that prefer a smaller wet bath to leave room for other amenities, like storage, or just openness. We shower in our trailer very little, and just do a quick wipe of the walls when we do. I had given serious thought to buying a used 17-19' Bigfoot as I really liked the build, but the layouts were terrible, especially as far as bed sizes go, and a lot of this was due to the full dry bath.

But, as many people there are that own these trailers, there are just as many ideas on what is ideal.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:54 AM   #80

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
. I had given serious thought to buying a used 17-19' Bigfoot as I really liked the build, but the layouts were terrible, especially as far as bed sizes go, and a lot of this was due to the full dry bath..
Me too! I like the looks of Bigfoot inside and out but as you say the bed size is the big kicker, along with the higher weights. Every manufacture is looking for their niche market. I know in talking to Escape about my *dream* trailer , they are trying to keep the width & weight of their trailers down in order to maintain better fuel economy when towing. So something has to give. I do use the shower in my trailer fairly frequently but having a wet bath seems like a good trade off for a bigger bed that would be used daily.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
escape