New Escape 5th Wheel - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-21-2006, 07:49 PM   #29

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Quote:
...I like the room and features of the 19', but the versatility of being able to tow the 16' on a conventional hitch...
Roger is suggesting an optional frame of some sort to convert the new "fifth-wheel", when desired, to a conventional trailer. As another option, how about building a long conventional trailer (to get the desired interior room) and offering a tongue conversion which would remove the conventional tongue and replace it with a gooseneck?

I realize that the current Escape tongue is an integral part of the frame, which is a good design, but U-Hauls prove that a bolt-in tongue can be a sound design as well.

The gooseneck would work with those really short pickup boxes, the design could be planned for reasonable tongue weight (and result in unusually low goosneck hitch weight), and neither structure would be particularly awkward in design. Installation would not be trivial, since the tongue structures (especially the goosneck) would not be small or light.

Just more "out there" thoughts...

Quote:
...home-built tongue conversions on their fifth wheels. The concern, however, is a seven or eight hundred pound tongue weight....
Is it really this high? If the tongue conversion reaches 3 or 4 feet forward of the trailer body (to allow turning without the upper body hitting the upper part of the tow vehicle) then the new coupler location is well forward of the original, reducing hitch weight. Maybe the added structure and whatever else gets hung under the forward body adds up to this, but then we're not talking about something one could readily toss on to allow hookup to the SUV...

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 10:12 PM   #30

Name: Michael
Trailer: Amerigo & Trailmanor (popupish)
Indiana
Hmmm... I have a few random thoughts, not quite sure how to turn those into "advice" though. Perhaps it's best to just let them out and you can take them for what they are worth.

I've always liked the Scamp 5-er design. Seems a physically attractive beast with a lot of utility in a still-small space. However - I know I'd never get one since I've no interest in driving a truck.

One of the things I like about the design is the big queen-size bed (yeah... this is an issue I flog at every opportunity). Short of gutting and retrofitting - none of the other eggs offer this (There IS the Casita Liberty with it's King-size bed - but that comes at costs).

I also like the ability to sleep more people (up to six - an issue which is a 'growing' concern to me right now). Since I'm unaware of any truck (the only acceptable tow-vehicle for a 5th wheel) which seats six however - this is unlikely to be a feature which would be easy to take advantage of.

For my own interests - I like the idea of an egg with increased capacities - but I wouldn't look twice at it unless it could be pulled by something other than a truck.

mkw

Old 03-21-2006, 10:34 PM   #31

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Thumbs up

[quote]I have committed to a front to back queen size bed for the top bunk

Attachment 1780

I'm confused. Does that mean you sleep front to back? Or does that mean the "queen" width measurement is front to back, and you actually sleep side to side?
Old 03-21-2006, 11:14 PM   #32
Commercial Member

Name: Reace
Trailer: Escape Manufacturer
The queen size bed will be front to back. This is one major reqest I have set in stone. I like Nancy's modifications and hope to have a closer look at the Oregon gathering!

Excellent feedback everyone! I don't think I can make everyone happy but I like all the ideas.

Reace
Old 03-22-2006, 12:15 AM   #33

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
Quote:
I don't think I can make everyone happy but I like all the ideas.

Reace
This is more of a question than a suggestion. I like the bed format of the 5th wheel. I also like the concept of the trailmanor, but not necessarily the rear pullout as seen in the bottom right picture on this page:

TrailManor

Is it technically possible to make a fiberglass trailer with a conventional hitch where the sleeping area can be pulled up and over the hitch? (or even a slideout kind of arrangement)?

If so the dinette can come to the front, washroom to the rear and kitchen on both sides over the wheels.

Roy
Old 03-22-2006, 08:47 AM   #34

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe / 1996 Dakota 4x4 V6
Mike,
My '96 Dakota extended cab has seatbelts for 6, forward-facing seating. Don't think it would be particularly comfortable for a trip, but it's at least possible.
Best of luck, Reace, on the new design; it looks good!
P
Old 03-22-2006, 09:59 PM   #35

Trailer: 17 ft Boler
New Escape 5th Wheel
#1 Larger Bathroom
#2 Generator (Optional) (Built in with start from inside) (2.8 Or Larger Up to a 4000 Watt)
#3 Air Conditioner
#4 L.E.D Lighting (Outside & Inside)
#5 Electric Hot Water Heater 10 Gal. (Optional)
#6 Memory Foam Cushions & Mattress (Optional)
#7 14 Or 15in. Tires
#8 Built for 2 People With Optional Package to Add sleeping Capacity.
#9 Rear View Camera. (Optional)
#10 Awning (10 Or 12 Ft. (Optional)
#11 Option to order Trailer without Rear Seating and Dinette (Add your own Seating)
Old 03-23-2006, 06:52 PM   #36

Alberta
I think John has an interesting point with the LED lighting. Particularly for the external (vehicle) lights, LED is an easy alternative to conventional bulbs, which doesn't require any changes in wiring, but is much more efficient to do as a factory option than afterwards. If I were buying new I would appreciate this choice (which would carry a moderate cost premium) in any configuration of trailer.

For inside lighting, 12V fluorescents would again be an easy-to-supply feature, again as an extra-cost option so the base price can be kept lower for those who prefer that choice. In the larger space of the larger 5th wheel, power consumption for lighting becomes more of a concern for those camping without shore power.

The battery issue leads to another feature - in the larger and heavier 5th wheel, necessarily pulled by a truck, a larger battery (or dual batteries) is likely to be a popular desire, so suitable battery mounting provisions would be appreciated.
Old 03-23-2006, 07:48 PM   #37

Name: Benita
Trailer: Fiber Stream 16 ft 1982
Georgia
Send a message via Yahoo to Benita
I'm really like the thought of a trailer with a 5th wheel's space and separated sleeping compartment that's towable by an SUV. The loft as a slide or a cantilevered projection?

As far as I can tell, the main reason folks want a 5th wheel is more space. I'm not a truck person either. Obtaining the space without having to acquire a new vehicle would be fantastic.
Old 03-23-2006, 09:01 PM   #38

Alberta
Isn't a trailer with the space of a 5th wheel but towable by an SUV just... a longer trailer? If one end is raised (a "loft") to provide for storage underneath, that's a basement style unit, as is currently popular in Class A motorhomes.

While I have not seen one "in person", the front-bed 21.5' Bigfoot (25B21.5F looks like the unit some of us are asking for, as far as length and the front sleeping arrangement are concerned. The Bigfoot is wider (and has different construction details) and thus I suspect heavier than a similar length Escape variant would be - the 25B21.5FB has a base dry weight of 1730 kg (3815 lb).
Old 03-23-2006, 11:25 PM   #39

Georgia
That's not the fantasy, Brian. I don't necessarily want a longer trailer. I like the 16-17 ft length. Actually, my wildest dream would be for a garagable model that fits a standard sized US garage - with the loft/sleeping area separated.
Old 03-24-2006, 12:15 AM   #40

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
Quote:
That's not the fantasy, Brian. I don't necessarily want a longer trailer. I like the 16-17 ft length. Actually, my wildest dream would be for a garagable model that fits a standard sized US garage - with the loft/sleeping area separated.
Agreed. 2 people and a dog don't need a 25' trailer. The separate sleeping area lets the early bird get up and have a coffee or whatever while the other sleeps.

Quote:
the 25B21.5FB has a base dry weight of 1730 kg (3815 lb).
The GVRW of the 25B21.5FB is 7500 lbs. My tonka toy is only rated to tow 3950 lbs If I understand correctly, many recommend I aim for 75% of GVRW, or about 3000 lb max. That is why the eggs are so enticing. We don't have room for a queen bed at home... we don't need one camping.
Old 03-24-2006, 01:08 AM   #41

Georgia
Actually, I'll go Little Joe/Lite House basic if I can garage the unit. HOA regulations. There is a niche for the smaller FG trailers vs the larger ones. I'd dream about all the things I'd want in the 5th wheel. I'd sit down and try to figure out how to buy the smaller trailer.
Old 03-24-2006, 01:59 PM   #42

Alberta
Quote:
...The GVRW of the 25B21.5FB is 7500 lbs. My tonka toy is only rated to tow 3950 lbs If I understand correctly, many recommend I aim for 75% of GVRW, or about 3000 lb max. ..
The Gross Vehicle Weight Rating is the maximum the vehicle (trailer, in this case) is allowed to weigh; you don't have to pack it full! The Bigfoot tandem trailer GVW ratings are 7500 lb, which just looks like the total of the two axles (3500 lb each) and the coupler - they must not be concerned about the frame (it must be sufficiently strong). The actual weight, loaded and going to the campsite, will be somewhere between the empty weight (which I quoted) and the maximum, depending on optional equipment, water, and cargo carried.

The 21.5' Bigfoot models are too heavy for me, too, and even shooting for 3950 lbs, it would not be possible to pack that light, so the 21.5' (and 25') models are too heavy. They're just not as heavy as the GVWR might suggest.

Tags
escape