New Escape nearly here! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2018, 04:13 AM   #1

Name: Bat Dude
Trailer: Escape
Michigan
New Escape nearly here!

Our new Escape is not here quite yet. Excitement is in the air and Esmé can small it getting close!

Last heard it was in Wisconsin and heading to Chicago and then up US 131 to us here in Canadian Lakes.

The delivery rig is apparently 40' long and can not make it down our drive into the large parking ramp. So it will be unloaded in a large parking lot 1.5 miles away.

I will tow it home and then park it until we get the title, registration, plate and insurance.

Can hardly wait!

Cheers all,
Bat Dude
Old 08-13-2018, 04:25 AM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Very cool and exciting bro, be sure to send us some pics .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 05:04 AM   #3

Name: Bat Dude
Trailer: Escape
Michigan
It made it!

So with local road restrictions on big trucks how were we going to get our new trailer?

The delivery service driver decided to drop the big trailer at a truck stop some 20 miles away, He unloaded our trailer and connected it directly to his truck to make the final leg of the journey as a smaller rig.

He remained in touch by texts many times per day en route from BC Canada and South Dakota where he dropped off the first trailer.

When he contacted us from Wisconsin Sunday afternoon he indicated he was heading south and would pass through Chicago. Then continue up through Michigan we assumed it would take at least another day.

He showed up at lunchtime Monday! Just backed it down the drive.

So now we will to sort out storage and get set up for our post-Labor Day trip through Mich. for our inaugural shakedown trip.

One of the first tasks was to unwrap our new trailer and remove the protective "bug catcher."

Let the new adventures begin. Now I need to fill the propane tanks and finish setting up the trailer back-up camera and a few other tasks.

Sooo much space! So now what are we gonna do with it?

Cheers all,

Bat Dude
Old 08-14-2018, 05:52 AM   #4

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Tennessee
Congratulations Dude, it looks great. We love our 19. I only wish they had been using that bug wrap stuff back when they delivered ours, cause it sure was a mess when they got there.
GregandTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 06:12 AM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
New Escape nearly here!

Congratulations! It looks beautiful. Enjoy your fall trip, and many more to come!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 08:51 AM   #6

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Congratulations, Bat Dude! That empty space has the same properties as vacuum. It sucks thing in and soon it is filled, no need to worry. The front end will also catch some bugs on your first trip. The front end of my Scamp 5th wheel is always a study in bug science and after a few years I am resigned to live with it.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 09:24 AM   #7

Name: John
Trailer: 2019 Oliver Elite II
Texas
Glade to see you got your trailer home and safe. One question, someone at a rally told me that it is better to have the trailer delivered here in the U.S. and not go to Canada and pick it up, saves all the problems at the border crossing, is this true.

trainman
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 09:27 AM   #8

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Tennessee
Trainman, while I did have my trailer delivered, from my understanding, if you go pick up your trailer, you will not actually have to do anything to bring it across the border. ETI takes care of that, and you actually take possession of it in Sumas.
GregandTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 09:29 AM   #9

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainman View Post
Glade to see you got your trailer home and safe. One question, someone at a rally told me that it is better to have the trailer delivered here in the U.S. and not go to Canada and pick it up, saves all the problems at the border crossing, is this true.

trainman
My understanding is that Escape will actually drive the trailer across the border and deliver it to you in the US if you choose to pick it up yourself. The factory is only a few miles into Canada. That way, they handle all import hassles, and you "officially" buy the trailer in the US. Example of the fine service that Escape provides for their customers.
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 02:37 PM   #10

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
SWEET
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 05:06 PM   #11
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregandTeresa View Post
Trainman, while I did have my trailer delivered, from my understanding, if you go pick up your trailer, you will not actually have to do anything to bring it across the border. ETI takes care of that, and you actually take possession of it in Sumas.
Yup, and there are grocery stores in Sumas to pick up provisions for your trip home. Don't hassle with trying to take too much with you into Canada as customs can sometimes decide to pull a random inspection, so the less stuff the better.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 05:19 PM   #12

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Escapism! I am sure that storage space will fill up in no time.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 06:54 PM   #13

Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by BatDude View Post
Sooo much space! So now what are we gonna do with it?
Heh, heh, I won't touch that one. I trust you will figure it out!

Congratulations on getting the new trailer. Yes, Escape "exports" their trailers so we don't have to do a thing but meet them at Bob's in Sumas, or get them delivered as you did. It sounds like you got white glove service from the delivery guy; I'm very impressed.

When I brought our trailer home, I took time to test all of the various electrical and mechanical systems and equipment before we headed out. The only thing I have found to be marginal so far was the overlap between the under-bed plywood hatch and one side of the supporting 1x2s, so I sistered the 1 x 2 with a scrap of wood.

Knock on wood, I've been favorably impressed to date as I have been making my investigations, pulling panels and making examinations over time. As an example, the wiring is nicely bundled and landed, with no rat's nests as I have been reading about on the silver-twinkie forum.

Still, that didn't stop me from doubling up on all of the cabinet latches. They run a handsome $0.89 each at Lowes.

I had a bit more trouble finding square-drive sheet-metal screws to match the ones Escape uses to install the latches. I ordered them from Bolt Depot, with the result that I now have 400 count #6 square drive, pan head, stainless steel sheet metal screws in four lengths from 3/8" to 3/4". I think I am now well-supplied in this department for the rest of this life, all for about $20...

I also read on the Escape forum that the little flip-up counter extensions bang themselves half to death when travelling, (apparently someone was inside the trailer while they crawled the last mile in a traffic jam to the eclipse). So, I have been packing such that this doesn't happen. Eventually I will add a latch of some sort.

Again, congratulations. I hope it turns out to be everything you guys hoped for.

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 07:16 PM   #14

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
If you're talking about the flip-up counter extensions, the one in my trailer has been in the up position for ten years. Only problem I have had was when I leaned on it with my full weight to reach something and the support bent. I bent it back and haven't looked back.
And I don't think Escape uses sheet metal screws. They use Robertson wood screws, widely available in Canada since they are superior to Phillips.
Old 08-14-2018, 07:29 PM   #15

Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
If you're talking about the flip-up counter extensions, the one in my trailer has been in the up position for ten years. Only problem I have had was when I leaned on it with my full weight to reach something and the support bent. I bent it back and haven't looked back.
And I don't think Escape uses sheet metal screws. They use Robertson wood screws, widely available in Canada since they are superior to Phillips.
Oh der, I guess travelling with it in the "up" position would be the simple way to deal with it!

As regards the superiority of things Canadian, I will only say that there are things to admire as well as troubles to be found anywhere we go in this world my friend. Though, perhaps, you have seen evidence of some particular challenges we are facing here south of the 49th of late, no?

In the end, as a simple citizen, I am left to use my inferior sheet metal screws and to suffer along as best I can. However, I do treat the pre-drilled pilot holes with super-glue to strengthen the wood before driving the fasteners; does that count for anything?!

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 07:33 PM   #16

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civilguy View Post
In the end, as a simple citizen, I am left to use my inferior sheet metal screws and to suffer along as best I can. However, I do treat the pre-drilled pilot holes with super-glue to strengthen the wood before driving the fasteners; does that count for anything?!

I don't know because I don't have the expertise ( although I have a lot of screws, just not the one I need ).
Old 08-14-2018, 10:07 PM   #17

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I don't know because I don't have the expertise ( although I have a lot of screws, just not the one I need ).
Hi: Glenn Baglo... All I know is... it's faster to drive to the hardware store and buy a new package of screws, than it is to go downstairs into my workshop to look for one!!!
BTW... Congrats BatDude!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 01:56 PM   #18

Name: Cheryl
Trailer: Casita
Florida
Very cool! Congratulations!
cherylbredin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 06:59 AM   #19

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
So BatDude are you going to the rally in Algonac state park with your new Escape?
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 07:10 AM   #20

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
Bat Dude just reread your post. If you live at Canadian Lakes you’re not that far from my Escape 19 just two miles west of M37 at Newaygo.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
escape