New Escape with twin beds - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-31-2018, 05:38 AM   #21

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
Compared to other molded FG twins, these are large. Oliver twins are 29 +/- inches wide. Casita Independence twins are 30 inches wide as well. 36 inches is 20% more.

IMHO, good compromise on the center aisle. Either you get wider beds, or a wider aisle. I think they made the right choice, making the beds wider.
Well, IMHO an aisle is something that you can walk in together to a given location. To anyone who owns or has ever been in a 5.0TA, it is obvious that you are not going to walk in this “aisle” unless you are only 34 inches tall. To me, unless you insist on sleeping on separate mattresses, this is an utterly useless configuration. Escape typically installs a full queen-sized mattress (60 x 80 inches). With it one retains the cubbies and approximately 1 foot of “storage” space on both sides of the bed. In our case, the television travels face down on the carpet on one side of the bed as does the clothes hamper (essentially a large wastebasket). Also, the space is used for a camera bag, the laptop, and a divided folder containing all literature pertaining to the trailer (also, a “safe” location for eyeglasses when sleeping). These two side spaces are “out of traffic” and are contained by the mattress so things are unable to slide around. I doubt anyone would use a center aisle for storage, so again, IMHO, a really poor modification.
C&G in FL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 06:12 AM   #22

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
To me, unless you insist on sleeping on separate mattresses, this is an utterly useless configuration............ I doubt anyone would use a center aisle for storage, so again, IMHO, a really poor modification.
There have been plenty of people asking about twin beds in Escapes. For various reasons couples often choose to sleep separately. This is a far better solution than making the dinette into a bed every night or needing to buy a different brand of trailer to get the sleeping arrangement one wishes to have. Obviously it's not for everyone, nothing is. But I see this as a great solution for those that need/want it.

IMHO there are two things necessary in any all-molded towable. A comfortable place to sleep and a comfortable place to sit inside. Everything else, including storage is gravy.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 06:16 AM   #23

Name: John
Trailer: 2019 Oliver Elite II
Texas
Quote:
Well, IMHO an aisle is something that you can walk in together to a given location. To anyone who owns or has ever been in a 5.0TA, it is obvious that you are not going to walk in this “aisle” unless you are only 34 inches tall. To me, unless you insist on sleeping on separate mattresses, this is an utterly useless configuration. Escape typically installs a full queen-sized mattress (60 x 80 inches). With it one retains the cubbies and approximately 1 foot of “storage” space on both sides of the bed. In our case, the television travels face down on the carpet on one side of the bed as does the clothes hamper (essentially a large wastebasket). Also, the space is used for a camera bag, the laptop, and a divided folder containing all literature pertaining to the trailer (also, a “safe” location for eyeglasses when sleeping). These two side spaces are “out of traffic” and are contained by the mattress so things are unable to slide around. I doubt anyone would use a center aisle for storage, so again, IMHO, a really poor modification.
Rather then go into it I will just put you down as a NO on this. This was only posted by me to see what was out there in the Escape world as far as twin bed options, if any. So far Oliver and Bigfoot have the better idea on twin beds, but now there is a third way at a less expensive cost, if crawling around on your hands and knees is your thing, haven't really decided if we want to do that yet.

trainman
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 06:29 AM   #24

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Well, IMHO an aisle is something that you can walk in together to a given location. To anyone who owns or has ever been in a 5.0TA, it is obvious that you are not going to walk in this “aisle” unless you are only 34 inches tall. To me, unless you insist on sleeping on separate mattresses, this is an utterly useless configuration. Escape typically installs a full queen-sized mattress (60 x 80 inches). .
My wife given a 60 inch wide bed tends to take up at least 50 inches of it (no joke). Its just how it goes. So a twin gives me a chance to have more than a 10 inch slot. Hence the need for twins at home. On our 19, about half the time, we are using the front dinette AND the rear bed for this reason.

We had a crawl in fifth wheel bed area in the past. Not an issue for us.

Narrow slot is good for storing camp chairs and similar shaped items.

Its just another option. Some will want it, many won't. Escape has a long list of options for their trailers. It allows people to save money on the trailer by just getting the standard stuff, while others can customize the trailer to fit their needs.

If I ever buy a TA, it will have the twin option.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 06:40 AM   #25

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainman View Post
Rather then go into it I will just put you down as a NO on this. This was only posted by me to see what was out there in the Escape world as far as twin bed options, if any. So far Oliver and Bigfoot have the better idea on twin beds, but now there is a third way at a less expensive cost, if crawling around on your hands and knees is your thing, haven't really decided if we want to do that yet.

trainman
Put me down as a NO also . Pretending that the space created by cutting the standard mattress into two pieces creates an aisle is , well enough said
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 06:46 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Put me down as a NO also . Pretending that the space created by cutting the standard mattress into two pieces creates an aisle is , well enough said
Humm, I don't see it as an aisle or a storage space, but a good way to separate two mattresses (one sleeper not disturbing the other) and allowing bedding to naturally hang down the mattress. Both mattresses could be moved a bit closer together too which would allow some (limited) storage on the outside of both.

Y'all need to use a bit of your imagination....
Old 10-31-2018, 06:58 AM   #27

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
It is not "half a standard mattress," Steve. 36"+36" = 72" of sleeping space, with or without an "aisle," versus 60" in the standard queen. That's significant for some people.

Other than a basket or tray for small personal items, I don't see a lot of need for storage in the loft. It's not like you'll be dressing up there.

Though I doubt I'll ever buy a trailer that large, I like it. Choices are good.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 07:29 AM   #28

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Colorado
I don't have a dog in this fight, but currently owning both an EggCamper (sideways bed located in the rear; open on one side) and an Escape 21' (lengthwise bed in the front; open at foot and one side), the real issue to me is, can one person get in and out of bed without crawling over or otherwise disturbing the other. It appears to me that "dual" beds in the loft of a 5.0TA (call them "twins", if you like) is an additional option for addressing that concern, for those who have that concern. And if that is of no concern to someone, then it seems this thread should be of no concern to them.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 07:48 AM   #29

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
I do find with the current design in the loft of the 5/0TA the corner caddies in the loft of the 5.0TA and I would not miss them, I still would not want the twin mattresses. As pointed out, the only advantage of twins is that you can sleep on a separate mattress, getting in and out of bed would not be any easier.

I do like the twin layout in the Bigfoot 25, as it greatly improves the layout and storage while giving a full length, as opposed to RV length, mattress. There is upper storage on three sides instead of two and access is still easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Other than a basket or tray for small personal items, I don't see a lot of need for storage in the loft. It's not like you'll be dressing up there.
I keep my guitar and a few books stored on my side of the bed, my wife has baskets with crafting and other stuff on her side. It is a great place to keep stuff out of the way. And I do get dressed up in the loft sometimes.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 09:03 AM   #30

Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
I don't have a dog in this fight, but currently owning both an EggCamper (sideways bed located in the rear; open on one side) and an Escape 21' (lengthwise bed in the front; open at foot and one side), the real issue to me is, can one person get in and out of bed without crawling over or otherwise disturbing the other. It appears to me that "dual" beds in the loft of a 5.0TA (call them "twins", if you like) is an additional option for addressing that concern, for those who have that concern. And if that is of no concern to someone, then it seems this thread should be of no concern to them.
I’m not sure I would refer to this discussion in terms of a “dog fight.” Obviously, most remarks here are based on personal opinions. And yes, twin beds would provide for the ability to get out of bed without crawling over the other person, which is one of the reasons I opted for a 5.0TA in the first place. However, one doesn’t need twin beds to gain that ability; the queen-sized mattress already provides that ability, with a wider mattress than that which is installed in an Escape 21. So to me, it still comes down to the need/desire to sleep on separate mattresses. My spouse is not a “bed hog” and like Jim, she often gets dressed sitting in the loft. I would personally never give up the open space on the outer edges of the bed......I like them too much!
Old 10-31-2018, 09:12 AM   #31

Trailer: 2019 Oliver Elite II
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
It is not "half a standard mattress," Steve. 36"+36" = 72" of sleeping space, with or without an "aisle," versus 60" in the standard queen. That's significant for some people.

Though I doubt I'll ever buy a trailer that large, I like it. Choices are good.
That's the way I see it also, it a sleeping area, not a storage compartment. If I have to crawl up into the loft everytime I need something up there, I'm looking at the wrong trailer.

trainman
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 09:37 AM   #32

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainman View Post
That's the way I see it also, it a sleeping area, not a storage compartment. If I have to crawl up into the loft everytime I need something up there, I'm looking at the wrong trailer.

trainman
John, you make it sound like an ordeal to do so. It really isn't. Take 3 or 4 steps to the back of the trailer or 3 to the loft, same thing. Besides, both sides of the loft are lined with upper cabinetry. I sure would hate to waste that. Besides, like I said, it is a great place to store my guitar, and much easier to get at than if I kept it somewhere in the tow vehicle.

How many store stuff under or overhead of where they sleep in other trailers? I don't see storing in otherwise wasted space in the 5.0TA an issue at all, and in fact welcome it.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 10-31-2018, 10:01 AM   #33

I always try to be supportive of others choices. They're not me and I'm not them. Is that thinking outside of myself? Unless it is a 'safety' issue or would/could permanently damage a trailer. For this thread, I don't need (or want) two twins or even a queen. One twin suits me just fine. I just think it's grand that ETI has come up with a possible solution that will suit others. :
Old 10-31-2018, 01:13 PM   #34

Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I always try to be supportive of others choices. They're not me and I'm not them. Is that thinking outside of myself? Unless it is a 'safety' issue or would/could permanently damage a trailer. For this thread, I don't need (or want) two twins or even a queen. One twin suits me just fine. I just think it's grand that ETI has come up with a possible solution that will suit others. :

You are correct, Donna, and as always, the ultimate diplomat. In reality, mattresses are easily replaced. One could order the twin bed option as the only real difference seems to be the lack of cubby holes, or save the money and order the queen bed version but specify no cubby’s. Should you then not like the queen and having the space along each side, you already have $300+ to put toward the purchase of 2 twin mattresses, and that would allow each person to choose their preferred firmness. And possibly, the twin mattress replacements could be higher quality than ETI’s mattress supplier.
Old 11-13-2018, 01:33 PM   #35

Name: Morgan
Trailer: Casita
New York
Registry
If we had known that Escape had a twin bed option on the 5.0TA, that might well have been our choice. I love the wood, the storage, the kitchen… But we just couldn't get past needing for both of us to be able to get in and out of bed without disturbing the other.

BTW, I think that people are missing the obvious here. If you orient the head of the bed toward the stairs, getting in and out becomes much easier.

We went with the Casita 17' ID because of the beds, and are very happy with it. However, I'm the one with the wider shoulders of the two of us, disproving the assertion that women's shoulders are always narrow, and am uncomfortable with my head toward the end of the trailer, where the mattress is more narrow, so I switched my orientation so that my head and shoulders are at the wider end. This works out fine.
Morgan A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 01:40 PM   #36

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan A View Post
BTW, I think that people are missing the obvious here. If you orient the head of the bed toward the stairs, getting in and out becomes much easier.
Sliding headfirst might be easier for some, but we much prefer feet first coming out, and headfirst going in, thus the feet at the stairs. Plus, climbing into bed late I am sure my wife would prefer I bump her feet rather than climb on her head.
Old 11-13-2018, 01:58 PM   #37

Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Sliding headfirst might be easier for some, but we much prefer feet first coming out, and headfirst going in, thus the feet at the stairs. Plus, climbing into bed late I am sure my wife would prefer I bump her feet rather than climb on her head.
this +++ !!!!

climbing out of the head end of the bed, especially with a staircase/drop nearby? eeeek. much easier to flip your side of the covers towards the middle of the bed, swing your feet up and over the covers, then skinny down the end of the bed feet first so you land standing up and not on your hands... this is exactly what I do on the streetside of the front queen on the Escape 21.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
escape