New "FG" trailer - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2012, 05:08 PM   #1

Trailer: 2008 21 ft Bigfoot Rear Bed
New "FG" trailer

This is a new one, still prototype but price is either a misprint or from a parallel universe.

George.

Text copied from Trailer Life :“The Born Free Trail-RLodge is the companies push to make a high-end small trailer.
Belying its name, Born Free Motorcoach, of Humbolt, Iowa, has introduced the Trail-R Lodge, a 22-foot prototype travel trailer featuring many of the same characteristics of its high-end Class C motorhomes. “Our thoughts are to build a very high-quality trailer to compete in the market with other high-end models,” said Dennis Day, vice president of commercial sales for the Dodgen Industries subsidiary. Designed to be towed by half-ton pickups, the Trail-R Lodge prototype features a 6,150-pound dry weight. ‘‘We’ve already found a number of ways to cut weight out and bring that down further,’’ Day said. MSRP: $85,500.
Born Free Motorcoach, (800) 247-1835, www.bornfreemotorcoach.com.”
Lightweight Trailers, New Floorplans Drive 2012 Trends
Attached Images

GeorgeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 05:56 PM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
At that price, I am assuming the diesel pickup comes with it.......

Of course, it may actually be designed to be towed behind one of their mo'homes, which would explain it - you get BOTH for that price!
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 06:05 PM   #3

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
They claim that no one has ever died from a accident in their motorhomes because of the construction.

Looks nice but CRAZY price to me.
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 06:16 PM   #4

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Harris View Post
They claim that no one has ever died from a accident in their motorhomes because of the construction.
In the spirit of "most things can be taken several ways" - I could suggest that this may be because they are so poorly constructed that no-one has ever managed to leave the dealership with one, and thus no-one has ever gotten into an accident

Sort of like the Ads that say "Nothing works better than our stuff" - OK - I'll try "nothing" since it works better and is free!!
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 06:30 PM   #5

Trailer: 1996 Casita Freedom Deluxe 17 ft
That price isn't really out of line with camper van conversions like Roadtrek or Pleasure-Way, both of which can easily exceed $80k. Add in the fact that they sell through dealers, and it's probably what a lot of people are willing to pay. I've told RV people that they can buy a new Casita for $18k or so and they look at me like I'm the crazy one. Go figure! I guess I'll just save my money for important things like gasoline.
Terry G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 06:49 PM   #6

Name: george
Trailer: FunFinder
Missouri
And I suppose at 85 grand, it puts it up there in ( or beyond, for it's size ) of the price range of Airstream. What gets me about a lot of this stuff is it seems the trend is taking a lot of the industry towards really heavy trailers. It will be interesting to see all this unfold as we watch what happens to the price of gasoline and the economy in general.

Lots of cool trailers on the market these days, but I sure have to wonder if we're on the verge of another big shakeout where some or many of the mfrs go away.

It's a little comical to go to the RV shows and see what some of the mfr's are describing as "ultra-lite".

I saw one toy hauler that had a sign on it that said, "this unit ONLY weighs 12,000 pounds !" Holy smokes !
gmw photos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 06:59 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry G View Post
That price isn't really out of line with camper van conversions like Roadtrek or Pleasure-Way, both of which can easily exceed $80k. Add in the fact that they sell through dealers, and it's probably what a lot of people are willing to pay. I've told RV people that they can buy a new Casita for $18k or so and they look at me like I'm the crazy one. Go figure! I guess I'll just save my money for important things like gasoline.
I agree, plus their quality is just OK in my judgment. You can get a Sprinter with Sportsmobile conversion for about $60K about the same length as Bornfree trailer but with engine.
Crazy prices.
George.
Old 03-02-2012, 07:09 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw photos View Post
................. What gets me about a lot of this stuff is it seems the trend is taking a lot of the industry towards really heavy trailers. It will be interesting to see all this unfold as we watch what happens to the price of gasoline and the economy in general.............
Exactly, trend is illogically not reacting to fuel price climb. Driving by Curtis Trailers in Portland I could not believe their massive inventory of large trailers; how can they stay in business?

George.
Old 03-02-2012, 07:57 PM   #9

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
On anothe RV forum that I'm beginners are very frequently advised to get the biggest trailer and, when I've seen smallish used trailers on dealers' lots, I'm betting that they were traded in on something bigger. I understand if you're a fulltimer you probably need a fairly large one because it's your home but why do people buy big ones for weekend and two week long vacations? Beats me.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 08:24 PM   #10

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrugg View Post
....but why do people buy big ones for weekend and two week long vacations? Beats me.
Because they can. We must be careful not to be arrogant about our choice. We know molded lightweight fiberglass towables aren't for everyone. And aren't we glad about that? But still, it boils down to Different Strokes for Different Folks. Just because I don't ever see myself owning some of the things that are marketed for camping, it doesn't mean it doesn't fit someone else's lifestyle and budget. I choose to be tolerant and open minded about others choices.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 09:38 PM   #11

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp Deluxe
Registry
Thanks for the reminder Donna - Ron
RonMayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 10:44 PM   #12

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonMayo View Post
Thanks for the reminder Donna - Ron
Ron, I bet there's a bunch of members that feel the same way... I'm just more verbal than most.

Safe travels!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 06:55 AM   #13

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Although, as gas prices soar again, and we rely so heavily on outside sources for the fuel that we guzzle as a nation, it seems like we can also be examples of 'less is more' as we camp among the beheamoths.
(no arrogance intended )
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 08:30 AM   #14

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Born Free

Born Free has an excellent reputation among motorhome owners. We have friends, former fulltimers, who are in their 26th year of Born Free ownership, same rig.

Personally well out of my price range and too heavy for our Honda.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 09:56 AM   #15

Name: Mike
Trailer: 1996 16' Casita SD
Louisiana
Registry
The $ is not worth what it used to be. What's 80 K here and 80 K there?
itlives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 02:12 PM   #16

Name: Sean
Trailer: Bigfoot
Saskatchewan
In the case of where I live, a large trailer or truck isn't so much about that is what a person needs or wants, its about status and showing off how much money they supposedly make and at risk of being crass, possibly for lacking in a certain part the anatomy.

I do like the trailer being shown, but it is super heavy and way too much in price.
Orcus79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 03:37 PM   #17

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by itlives View Post
The $ is not worth what it used to be. What's 80 K here and 80 K there?
Yeah, you're right. So everyone please feel free to mail your $80K to me and I'll give it a good home.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 03:51 PM   #18

Trailer: 1971 Boler
Registry
WOW at $85K I can buy a whole lot of used Bolers!
Rick Mooyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 05:43 AM   #19

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
that price includes free gas for the first month,,,,,or until you move it! which ever comes first.
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 07:49 AM   #20

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Eggcamper / Chevy S-10
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrugg View Post
On anothe RV forum that I'm beginners are very frequently advised to get the biggest trailer and, when I've seen smallish used trailers on dealers' lots, I'm betting that they were traded in on something bigger. I understand if you're a fulltimer you probably need a fairly large one because it's your home but why do people buy big ones for weekend and two week long vacations? Beats me.
I've noticed the same advice being given and I just shake my head. We're campers, trying to get out and enjoy nature once in a while. If we wanted all the comforts of home, we wouldn't leave home. To us, being packed into some RV "resort" on a concrete pad, without a tree in sight, isn't what camping is all about - that's why we almost exclusively camp at state parks here in Florida. I guess if your regular home is a run-down single-wide trailer or a ramshackle little house, a nice RV with "all the comforts of home" might actually be better than home, and not looked upon as "camping."
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote