New Fiberglass Egg On Market - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-26-2003, 10:29 AM   #21

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
It is garagable!!

Molded Fiberglass

Height: 7 feet 6 inches
Length: 17 feet (only available size)
Width: 6 feet 7 inches
Tongue Weight: 300 pounds loaded with water and propane
With all current options, trailer weight is less than 1800 pounds (awning and hot water package are heaviest items).
Torflex Axle: Rated for 3,500 pounds

Front Dinette: converts to single bed
Rear Dinette: converts to double bed
(Just a thought - They may be able to construct bunks over each dinette. The top bunks would have to be light-weight rated. You'd sacrifice overhead cabinets for this customization)

Bath model: privacy closet with permanent toilet connected to a blackwater tank
Shower/Bath models coming next year. They don't have shower pan designed to fit the trailer yet.
Roof Air: Not possible as roof will not support weight. They haven't tried to install closet or side AC yet - no orders.

The prototype has just been sold. They don't have a display model as the demand is keeping pace with their ability to assemble. All the components are purchased from other sources. They do not fabricate. They assemble. The factory will customize.

Unit is derivative of Trillium, Scamp, Casita and Boler.

Sounds like they have put together fewer than a half dozen units. They haven't investigated what processes may be required to sell to the US.

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2003, 10:51 PM   #22

jdmac

Quote:
Orginally posted by jdmac

Rick There is no website as yet,they are just beginnining production and are presentlu advertising in the local New Westminster paper.
My curiosity is getting to me. As I'm out in South Surrey I don't get any New West papers and haven't seen the ad.

Is that the NW News Leader or The Record that it's in?

Old 05-26-2003, 11:23 PM   #23

Rick, that would be THE RECORD of last weekend. Btw the company was at the Chilliwack rv show this spring with the first edition so i'm told. I missed that one but did see the new Outback at the Tradex show.

Old 05-27-2003, 12:31 AM   #24

I was at the Early Bird RV show at the Tradex also - I posted a few pics here of the new Trillium Outback

I missed the one in Chilly though - to darn far to go if we're not going camping! :)

Old 05-27-2003, 10:53 AM   #25

Sharp looking rig... looks like a stretched Trillium with the little upsweep on the door... maybe a parent company... How come all the really sharp looking rigs are Candian? How about getting some dealers here in the lower 48?

Old 05-27-2003, 03:48 PM   #26

Exterior toting

Asked this question for a friend.

Escape will extend the frame by 2 feet or slightly more to accomodate a box, in this case a bike box.

My friend built a plywood box about 2 feet wide and as tall as his bike for the rear of his motorhome. He has a custom bike and didn't want it ruined by transporting as his previous bikes were. The prototype bike box sits on the bumper of the MOHO. The box is built like a wedge so that he doesn't have to remove the handle bars or wheels to load the bike. The lid of the box drops down like a truck tail gate and the bike is lifted into place where it is stabilized by internal holders. The lights that would have been obscured by the box were moved and wired into the back of the box. My friend said he would be interested in the Escape if he could get a sealed bike transport compartment like he has on the MOHO.

Escape said its a mod they will do. Instead of sitting the bike carrier on the bumper, they will extend the frame so that the box sits between the trailer and the bumper. I guess my friend can remove the current box, unwire it, repaint it and situate it on the Escape. Their trailer frame is extendable without throwing anything out of kilter with the design or safety.

A rear storage box also sounds like a plan for those with generators and other exterior storage concerns.

Even if an external bike carrier were an option, the Escape roof is not the place for it, so says Escape.

Old 05-27-2003, 06:26 PM   #27

Rear storage

>>A rear storage box also sounds like a plan for those with generators and other exterior storage concerns.

Yep, it's really tempting, but one has to be very careful with too much rear weight in relation to the tongue weight. Even though I had a front bath, with my rear air and spare, I just couldn't bring the tongue weight up enough to compensate. With the larger tire I came up with a front spare rack that solved my problem.

With that extra space on the back, I am so tempted to hang something off of it, but have to be careful with the balance.

Since the Escape appears to have a somewhat centered bath (albeit forward of the wheel well), I wonder what the extended rear frame will do in throwing off it's tongue weight...not to mention the extra weight added to it.

I am definitely not an expert. I just thinking outloud as it relates to a problem that I had and could have again if not careful. Even without the rear air, a generator is very heavy as is any constructed box and/or rack.

Old 05-27-2003, 08:09 PM   #28

Quote:
Orginally posted by Suz

>>A rear storage box also sounds like a plan for those with generators and other exterior storage concerns.

Yep, it's really tempting, but one has to be very careful with too much rear weight in relation to the tongue weight.
Don't forget the Escape's 'standard' 300lb tongue weight in relationship to its relatively light weight and VERY rearward axle. If anything, I'd think that a rear rack with a few bikes would go aways toward achieving a more normal 10-15% tongue weight.

My wife actually liked the interior shots of the Escape very much. I'd want to know just what those 'single' and 'double' beds translate into in terms of inches though.

mkw

Old 05-27-2003, 09:47 PM   #29

I was thinking the same thing Mike. the wheel is back a little, so a box should balance it.

and a full bed can run from 40 to 54 inches. :) it is a good idea to have the numbers. :yep

Old 05-27-2003, 10:26 PM   #30

Quote:
Orginally posted by Mike Watters
I'd want to know just what those 'single' and 'double' beds translate into in terms of inches though.
mkw
Maybe JD can get that question answered when he heads out that way?

My friend is on the road and I said I'd make a few calls for him while he is out of pocket. As I type, he's actually not that far from the factory and may do a stop by inspection for himself. He wasn't inclined to head that way without some preliminary info. AND, since he is in the market for an egg-sized travel trailer he also wasn't going to come all the way back to Georgia and then wonder if he should have taken a slight detour to satisfy his curiousity.

FWIW, I was also told:
- there is a washed oak/pickled look choice of cabinets
- the floor is linoleum
- you can have the standard bench/bunk up front instead of the front dinette if you like

Old 05-28-2003, 10:29 AM   #31

escape(in a Trillium)

This looks amazingly like a trillium 5500 with a new door skin and up to date windows. The interior is very similar also. If you check the interior pictures you will see the high rise in the center, very Trilliumesque. The only other major difference seems to be the more rearward axle placement. check my interior pics for similarities
inside a 5500

Old 05-28-2003, 10:59 AM   #32

Axle placement looks same as Casita's

Is the axle placement really any further rearward, or is it just an optical illusion?

Looks (to me) like the fridge is on top of the axle, and the doorway is where the fridge would be on a 17 ft. Casita. Behind the wheel actually looks about the same...

It'll be interesting to see some figures on bed width, placement of water (fresh and waste) tanks, etc.

Very nice looking trailer... at first I thought it looked like it was even a couple of ft. longer than my 17 ft. Casita... until I did a double-take.

:sunny

Old 05-29-2003, 12:17 AM   #33

Benita,just got some more info from Escape regarding the frame extension. When the company contacted Transport Canada to confirm if they could extend the frames, they were informed by the Feds that the Escape is registered as a 17 ft model under the Canadian National Safety Mark Authorization. If they begin altering the frames they would have to submit applications for approval for each new trailer,therefore frame extension is out.
Some more trailer details
Rear dinette/bed is 49" wide by 6'4"
Front dinette is 30"
Interior height 6'
Outside width 6'7"
New models coming out have a more natural oak finish with a
neutral colored cushion fabric.
Reace Harmatiuk of Escape Trailer Industries will respond to
any questions via email at reach@telus.net
They will soon have their own website.

Old 05-29-2003, 12:45 PM   #34

JDMac,

Message received and conveyed. Detour aborted. Check your Fiberglass RV BB mailbox.

Old 05-29-2003, 02:24 PM   #35

Frame extension

I would think they could do something non-perminant so it would still list-out as a 17'er. Like a flip-down rack, or an add-on rack (like a hitch-haul perhaps) or something like that. I'd personally prefer a PAIR of class 3 recievers that took a rack that had two bars. That could be REALLY stable and hold a lot of weight safely.

That rear bed width is also somewhat dissappointing. I was hoping for something wider. To me, 54-60" would be the ideal. Wonder if they'd be willing/able to do that???

mkw

Old 05-29-2003, 06:50 PM   #36

double vision(or is that two receivers)

Mike - check out the dual port system from Draw-tite, one 2" receiver and two round ports and lots of toys to attach

Old 05-29-2003, 10:29 PM   #37

Wish list

Quote:
Orginally posted by Mike Watters
I would think they could do something non-perminant so it would still list-out as a 17'er. Like a flip-down rack, or an add-on rack (like a hitch-haul perhaps) or something like that. I'd personally prefer a PAIR of class 3 recievers that took a rack that had two bars. That could be REALLY stable and hold a lot of weight safely.
Ditto. My thoughts exactly. Even though I don't think two Class 3 receivers are necessary, two receivers IMHO is a very good idea.

But then if I were designing the trailer:O

1. The burners would be the indoor/outdoor type, like on my last popup. There was a plumbed propane hose with a quick connect feature next to the sink. You could attach the portable cooktop and cook inside using this hose or you could take the cooktop outside where there was a second quick connect hose running to the exterior side. Whether you used the cooktop inside or outside you were drawing from the propane tank. There was a rail on the trailer side that the cooktop mounted on that held and stabilized the cooktop for cooking outside.

1a. I'm still not sure if I'd want an oven or not. The one in my house has only been cleaned once in the last decade - because someone else actually used it and got it dirty.
I knew my aunt was up to something when the smoke alarm went off. She turned the oven on and all of the cobwebs flamed up and set the smoke sensors blaring. Yet and still she persisted in her bizarre plan to put the butchered carcass of an animal in a pan inside the oven, turn the oven thermostat to a high temperature and allow the carcass to fester in heat until it was crusty. :conf

1b. If there is no oven, I'd want an open faced cupboard with gear restrainers above the sink that could be used as a toaster oven or utensil shelf. Yes, toast is one of my culinary specialties.

2. There would be a casette toilet and no black water tank. I find the cleanliness and ease of dumping for these superior and personally preferable to the plumbed black tank models. I had one like the top model pictured. http://www.haymanreese.com.au/thetford/cassette.htm

3. There would be an interior shower. It could be either an aisle arrangement like the Pleasureway Class Bs or it could be a closet like the Casita and Scamp. Alternatively, it could be a combo like the Rialta pull out shower closet.

4. There would be a flip up, fold down counter top extension next to the sink.

5. The dinette tables would be the portable indoor/outdoor type.

6. I [b]MIGHT also want dual axles on the trailer. :shg

7. There would be side air.

8. There would be an option for an all electric trailer.

Believe it or not, I acutally like what has been described about this trailer. I'd have to see one before putting any money down though. I don't know how Canada works. Here, in some industries you have to put up a bond before you sell. Since Escape is so new, if I were buying, I'd like to know more about how things work in Canada and more about the Escape founders.

My deal breakers:
Has to be garagable.
Has to have a sitting area suitable for computer work
Prefer to have a full-time bed.
Has to have a private bath or be very cheap to compensate for this lack.
Don't really want anything weighing over 2,500 pounds

The only element my current unit doesn't feature is the garagability factor.

Tags
eggcamper