New Frontier for Scamp 16 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-16-2015, 10:36 PM   #1

Name: Doug
Trailer: Escape
California
Registry
New Frontier for Scamp 16

I was looking for a Frontier from Hertz car sales to tow our Scamp 16 but ended with a new Frontier instead. Our 08 Forester does a good job of towing the trailer but there is not much room for the outdoor gear we like to take along. I wanted a 4x4 since living in the Sierra foothills it's a lot more fun to take a day trip up to the snow without having to put on/off chains. Hertz had some in the $23K range that seemed like a decent price. I had really good luck buying a Mazda from them 15 years ago when getting a third car for the kids. Then I tried out the Consumer Reports car buying service, that goes through TrueCar, and got hooked up with a dealer in San Francisco where I got a new 2015 model for only $3K more than Hertz, including the trailer hitch.
It seems a bit odd since most things in SF cost more than other places, but maybe the hassle of getting to a dealer in SF causes the prices to be lower. I have no love or preference of going to SF to buy a car, but over the last 35 years we have happened to buy cars from dealers in SF 4 times now, because the prices were better.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
DougOlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 08:02 AM   #2

Name: Frederick / Janis
Trailer: Previously Scamp 13 2002,2016. Scamp 16 on order
Michigan
The new Frontier is now out, so perhaps a "left over" 2015 was ready made for a good deal, which your price seems to indicate you got. Double Cab or extended Cab? V-6 with all the goodies we presume?
bpfick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 09:45 AM   #3

Name: Arnold
Trailer: 2015 Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe
California
I traded in my 2014 Frontier, 41,000 miles for a 2015 Ram 5.7 Hemi Longhorn Limited. The Frontier worked fine as a TV but I just wanted more room and comfort. Enjoy your Frontier, great truck. Anybody who owns a truck should check out a bed cover called a Back Flip. Awesome!
Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 10:17 AM   #4

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
I agree on some type of cover
Either a tonneau or cap
I have a Toyota Tacoma w/ snug top
Shell.... It makes it so much easier to camp.... Room for firewood/ chairs/ice chest etc.... You get the idea

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 10:23 AM   #5

California
I had a Snugtop when I owned a Titan. I thought that is was not very functional. The Backflip is much handy to use and I don't have to crawl into the bed to get stuff that is up against the cab. Snug tops look great though.
Old 11-17-2015, 12:00 PM   #6

California
Registry
Thanks, I plan to get a cover and have been looking (online) at a BAKflip. Glad to hear recommendations for it. Ages ago, as a college student, I had a Chevy pickup with cab height cover and that was great, when I was young enough to easily crawl around in the back to handle the gear. Now I like the flip up tonno idea where I can easily stand on the side ang get the gear. Regarding the Frontier, it is SV trim, crew cab (4 door) with "Value truck package" that includes hitch, bed liner, utilitracks & rear view camera. In white to match the Scamp. Exactly what I was looking for.

Old 11-17-2015, 12:28 PM   #7

California
Sounds like the Frontier I traded in, it had everything except a roof rack. Enjoy you're new truck. Where in California are you from. My Back flip was about &
$ 800.00 installed. I need to order a new one for my Ram
Old 11-17-2015, 03:50 PM   #8

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
I bought a hold over 2014 Frontier in April. It now has about 7500 miles on it and I really like it as a tow vehicle for my Scamp 19. I had the dealer install a roll-up tonneau as part of the negotiations. I found that they work fairly well for a truck used to pull a fiver.
Old 11-17-2015, 07:56 PM   #9

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougOlson View Post
Thanks, I plan to get a cover and have been looking (online) at a BAKflip. Glad to hear recommendations for it. Ages ago, as a college student, I had a Chevy pickup with cab height cover and that was great, when I was young enough to easily crawl around in the back to handle the gear. Now I like the flip up tonno idea where I can easily stand on the side ang get the gear. Regarding the Frontier, it is SV trim, crew cab (4 door) with "Value truck package" that includes hitch, bed liner, utilitracks & rear view camera. In white to match the Scamp. Exactly what I was looking for.

Hi: DougOlson... Sure can't say anything bad about your choice of trucks. Our 2010 Frontier Crew Cab long bed has been a great tow truck for both our 5.0 and 5.0TA Escapes. We bought a year end truck in Nov. of 2010. The package at that time contained a Nissan 3 fold tonneau, step rails, and nose guard. Very solid performer.
I did add a set of custom trailer tow mirrors from 1aauto 1A Auto : Aftermarket Auto Parts, Car Body Parts, Replacement & New Automobile and Truck Parts | Buy Discount Car & Auto Parts Online
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
P1040118.jpg  
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 01:09 AM   #10

California
Registry
Good looking rig Alf, I like the matching stripes. BTW, I lived on the south shore of Lake Erie for a couple years as a kid, Sandusky. The $3 summer pass to ride the ferry to Cedar Point was great. Now living about 30 mi east of Sacramento, close to Folsom Lake (or where the lake will be again after a bunch of rain).

Old 11-19-2015, 04:15 PM   #11

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougOlson View Post
Good looking rig Alf, I like the matching stripes. BTW, I lived on the south shore of Lake Erie for a couple years as a kid, Sandusky. The $3 summer pass to ride the ferry to Cedar Point was great. Now living about 30 mi east of Sacramento, close to Folsom Lake (or where the lake will be again after a bunch of rain).

Hi: DougOlson... We're 90 miles due north of Madison Ohio... north of Pt. Stanley Ontario.
The stripes were a gift from Escape Trailer Ind. They must really like me!!!
Old 11-22-2015, 12:47 PM   #12

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
I read the title of this thread..."New Frontier for Scamp 16" and thought it was starting out like the original Star Trek... "The final frontier..." "...to boldly go where no man has gone before..."

<huge grin!>
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 12:51 PM   #13

California
I believe the goal of most of us is to go were no man has gone before! Good post Roger.
Old 11-22-2015, 03:19 PM   #14

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger H View Post
I read the title of this thread..."New Frontier for Scamp 16" and thought it was starting out like the original Star Trek... "The final frontier..." "...to boldly go where no man has gone before..."

<huge grin!>
Hi: Roger H... I'm heading for no mans land... with a <huge gin>
Old 11-22-2015, 03:58 PM   #15

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpfick View Post
The new Frontier is now out, so perhaps a "left over" 2015 was ready made for a good deal, which your price seems to indicate you got. Double Cab or extended Cab? V-6 with all the goodies we presume?
November is always a good time to buy - market slows down big time as people start to think about funds needs for Christmas shopping etc.

I have a fiberglass cover on the back on my Frontier that I love the look of but if to do it again I would for sure go with a Back Flip - the most rigged/hardest one they have.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp