New Interstate Pro ECL Battery? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2014, 01:34 PM   #1
SRD

Name: s
Trailer: none
us
New Interstate Pro ECL Battery?

Anyone with experience with this new battery?

RV Deep-Cycle/Starting Batteries
SRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 08:32 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 19 ft 2010
Registry
I think the key to these batteries is their description, they are starting and deep cycle batteries. The last time I looked I did not have an engine in my fiberglass RV, why would I want a starter battery? Now if I had a motor home I may consider it, dual purpose, starting and deep cycle for when I am off the grid, the same would be true if I had a power boat with a trolling motor.

It seems whenever the manufacturer's come out with something that does more than one function it has to cut corners to get both functions into the same box. The result is, they do not do either function very well.

Sorry to be so negative, I think the recognized best choice for an RV is deep cycle flooded battery. The more amps hours the better. It will last the longest, with proper care. Google Handy Bob's Blog for the authoritative opinion on RV batteries, solar and wiring.
Paul Braun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 09:37 PM   #3
SRD

us
Paul,
Thanks for the Handy Bob's Blog heads up. Plenty of good info. If I'm not mistaken the new Interstate Pro ECL is a deep cycle flooded battery, similar to the standard deep cycle marine battery that many of us use on our trailers. The only difference is its ability to undergo 50% more charges/discharges (cycles). Sounds like a positive thing for our use. It also carries a 50% longer free replacement warranty. Besides the 6 volt batteries that you mention, what 12 volt deep cycle batteries don't have a CCA rating? Some of us don't have room for two 6 volt batteries.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:18 AM   #4
SRD

us
Update on Paul's Handy Bob's Blog recommendation - I'm only a fraction of the way through the blog and must say it's worth the read.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:27 PM   #5

Name: Rene
Trailer: Bigfoot 2500 truck camper
British Columbia
Yes and HandyBob also exposes AGM batteries for what they are as well. These allstate marine batteries might be worth it for some people. Regular marine/deep cycle batteries are very suitable for campers, vacationers and anyone who does not understand how to maintain a battery.

How often and how deeply batteries are discharged is what makes the biggest difference to its lifespan. Along with how quickly and thoroughly the battery is recharged. Amp hour capacity versus cost is another factor to consider.

Lets say you take your trailer out for the weekend boondocking and kill its battery running your furnace blower all night long. Then you bring it home and forget about it for a week or two before remembering to plug in the converter/charger so you can go out again this weekend. Your battery gets a mediocre 80% charge and you go out and do it all over again. Your battery is gonna croak sooner rather than later no matter how much it cost.
Those who take care not to discharge their batteries too deeply and recharge them automatically with intelligent solar charge controllers will probably have batteries that last much longer.
Rene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 01:01 AM   #6

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
You're right!! almost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene View Post
Regular marine/deep cycle batteries are very suitable for campers, vacationers and anyone who does not understand how to maintain a battery.
Those who take care not to discharge their batteries too deeply and recharge them automatically with intelligent solar charge controllers will probably have batteries that last much longer.
The secret is not how much you pay for a battery, it's how you take care of it.
I only buy my batteries at Wal Mart and have only had one go bad.
That was before I solarized all my rec equipment.
The $80.00 "Wal Mart" deep cycle battery in my camper is now 5 years old and never let me down.
I'm lucky. My home is surrounded by the Sequoia National Forest and I'm about 30 miles from the Mojave desert.
I'm camping, boon docking, at least twice a month.
I camp year around and enjoy sleeping warm.
My thermostat is set at 55 degrees when it's cold.
When I went to Yellowstone and it was down in the 20's and ran all night.

I think anyone who spends big money on the AGM and other specialty batteries should use the money to solarize or spend the money on having fun.
My years of experience have taught they're a waste of money for our use.
John
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 05:43 AM   #7
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry J View Post

I think anyone who spends big money on the AGM and other specialty batteries should use the money to solarize or spend the money on having fun.
My years of experience have taught they're a waste of money for our use.
John
My Lifeline AGM is on year 8. It cost $200 when new. At the time that was twice the price of a name brand flooded battery. It never needs water. I charge it once in the off season. It can be stored in any position. If it tips, there is no spill. The chances of it exploding are far less. That makes it a safer battery, which is why I bought it. When this one finally dies I will buy a new one on line and UPS will deliver it, which is something they won't do with a flooded battery. I don't feel I wasted my money at all. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 06:49 AM   #8

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
I’m with Paul Braun on this topic. Some years ago when I was doing more boondocking I looked into AGM’s and they just weren’t as energy “dense” as lead acid. I couldn’t make the numbers (amp hours, cost, space) work so I stayed with lead acid. Instead, I bought a battery waterer to make maintenance easier (don’t have to remove the battery to check/add water).

Having a sailboat for 20 years, I carry two batteries; a starter and a deep cycle. Combo starter/deep cycle batteries are worthless in my opinion and I won’t have them. They’re poor for each application. Maybe light, temporary loads but not for my application, either the boat or the trailer.

I can’t/won’t dispute other’s experience. I don’t think AGM’s are bad batteries it just that I personally can’t justify them. For the trailer I look for the extra heavy duty versions with about 10% more amp hours than the standard deep cycles. For group 24s, which my 2003 Casita was sized for, that’s about 105 amp-hours compared to the typical 95 amp-hours for the typical group 24 deep cycle.

My last battery I was able to shoehorn a group 27 in there but there is no clearance above it for the battery waterer and getting it in and out is a pain in the butt. Back to group 24 next time.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 06:58 AM   #9

Name: Darrell
Trailer: Scamp Deluxe 16ft
Alabama
Wow I just spent 4-5 hours reading Bob's blog.
I'm still using my AGM batteries. I have got over 10 years of use out of some in my Jeeps. I've got and used Wal-Mart batteries too.
Darrell in Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 08:59 AM   #10

Trailer: Escape 19 ft 2010
Registry
Battery Charging

I think every one has valid points and different experiences. Very good. One conclusion I have come to is, the poor charging capabilities of the control units many of our trailers come with. They just do not charge at the voltages that the battery manufacturers want. As a result many of us are leaving home with only an 80% charge. This results in poor performance and will certainly affect the longevity of batteries. Yes, we do not want batteries below 50% charge but it is ideal to operate the battery at the 75 - 100% level

The two solutions I have found is a quality monitoring system, Handy Bob recommends the Trimetric TM-2025, I am having one installed in my new trailer. It will replace a simple Equus voltage monitor. Secondly, I have spent a lot of time researching solar. It appears that if I purchase a quality solar controller/charger this may be the only way I can get my batteries charged at a voltage close to the manufacturers recommendation. In looking at replacement built in RV battery chargers from companies such as Progressive I could not find a model that would get close to the desired 14.8 volts at the absorption stage. I found several solar controllers that will do that level and above.
Paul Braun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 06:30 PM   #11

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
Each to his own!

Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
My Lifeline AGM is on year 8. It cost $200 when new. At the time that was twice the price of a name brand flooded battery. It never needs water. I charge it once in the off season. It can be stored in any position. If it tips, there is no spill. The chances of it exploding are far less. That makes it a safer battery, which is why I bought it. When this one finally dies I will buy a new one on line and UPS will deliver it, which is something they won't do with a flooded battery. I don't feel I wasted my money at all. Raz
I pointed out my experience to ensure new Egg owners know there are satisfactory batteries available that will last with proper care and supply all of there power needs without the added cost of AGMs.
Some new owners could use that extra money on needed improvements on their TTs.
If you took offense, Raz, I apologize.

John
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery