New item for spares in trailer list - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2013, 10:09 AM   #1

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
New item for spares in trailer list

Extra iPad cord. I forgot mine and am down to 3%. Luckily a friend down the campground has one and is goi
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 11:56 AM   #2

Registry
Found a spare, under the car seat! Yay! Better signal here than at home so I need to take advantage of it.
Old 08-21-2013, 03:28 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
I carry three, but only one charger - the iPad draws enough current that most USB chargers won't charge them...
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 03:57 PM   #4

Registry
I left my iPad charger in California (for the iPad 1 I gave my daughter) and bought her a new one, then got the first one back. So I have two. Plus I have a backup battery (ZaggSparq, which I do NOT recommend) which also serves as a charger for the iPad (what it does not do is give the iPad a full charge.)
Old 08-21-2013, 07:56 PM   #5

Trailer: Chalet
Send a message via Yahoo to Lynn Musgrave
We have had some type of ereader( Palm,Kindle Apple ipod touch) device for years.Th e first time we went on a trip without a charger I decided that would be the Last time.

I now keep chargers and power cords for ALL ( phone,touch,pad) in the camper that never leave the camper. I also keep power cords in the car and truck that never leave the vehicle.....that way if we go on a trip without the camper and I forget my wall charger I can always charge my device .

Happy Camping
Lynn Musgrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:27 PM   #6

Trailer: Casita
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Dick & Joanne
I have been using a chargepod for about 5 years. It will charge up to six devices at the same time. We used it in China a couple of years ago to keep two Ipods and 2 kindles going. This trip we are charging 2 ipads, 2 kindles, 2 cell phones and my ipod. Yes, I agree, we have way too much junk. The only disadvantage is that it is 120/240 and not 12 volt. I put a 1000 watt inverter in this year just for charging and keeping the sleep number mattress inflated properly.

Dick
Dick & Joanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 11:11 PM   #7

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Musgrave View Post
We have had some type of ereader( Palm,Kindle Apple ipod touch) device for years.Th e first time we went on a trip without a charger I decided that would be the Last time.

I now keep chargers and power cords for ALL ( phone,touch,pad) in the camper that never leave the camper. I also keep power cords in the car and truck that never leave the vehicle.....that way if we go on a trip without the camper and I forget my wall charger I can always charge my device .

Happy Camping
Exactly, Lynn! That's my plan, too, at least for the essentials- phone, iPad, and Kindle. The Kindle is easier as it runs longer on a charge.
Old 08-21-2013, 11:29 PM   #8

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
I've had several different cell phones over the years and purchased extra cords/chargers for them. This last phone I've got was purchased only after I knew that it was compatible with one of the chargers I already have.

Purchasing multiple chargers gets a little pricey and yes I am one to have a cord/charger in the trailer, in the tug and in my purse as well as of course my home.

My original Kindle's screen had a problem so they replaced it and only wanted the Kindle back, thus I ended up with an extra cord. I made a little envelope/bag for the Kindle and just recently added a pocket pocket on the back for the cord. But it'll be nice to have the extra cord just in case.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 06:41 AM   #9

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy A View Post
I've had several different cell phones over the years and purchased extra cords/chargers for them. This last phone I've got was purchased only after I knew that it was compatible with one of the chargers I already have. ..........
Most devices are settling on a mini or micro USB as a standard interface (finally!). Apple, of course, likes to be unique so they will probably continue to be non-standard.
Old 08-22-2013, 06:54 AM   #10

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Our phones, nooks and pad all charge from USB though the pad uses an apple like plug. The Samsung Pad, Nooks and our computer have batteries with large capacity, our computer (netbook) will go 8 hours.

We just received a 7" Samsung Pad purchased through Walmarts, refurbished, for $129, a very good deal.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:48 AM   #11

Name: Bernard
Trailer: 2007 uhaul ct13
Quebec
i have standardized as much as i could 5v/usb in my egg. i installed 5 ports in different places in the egg.

my speaker/radio, small lamp and two small fans runs by 5v so i replaced the connector with usb ones. anything i'm replacing in the future i check to make sure it works either 5v/usb or 12v..

most of the other electronic i have, runs on usb power also so i have 1 usb cord for each type of connector i need and a very long one for the ipads so i can charge and use it at the same time.
tartosuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:58 AM   #12

Name: Sean
Trailer: 1984 Uhaul CT 13
Georgia
Registry
See that's the problem with Apple devices...proprietary connectors and cords. I stick to phones, tablets, etc that use an industry standard. Like micro usb port. that way you only need one cable for everything. And the cables are a lot cheaper than the Apple proprietary ones.

Right now I have a USB cigarette plug in the TV and a 120v USB wall charger in the camper but i plan to install some USB charging ports in the camper when I finish installing the new converter.
My U-haul Camper Blog
knighth001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 09:08 AM   #13

Name: Bernard
Trailer: 2007 uhaul ct13
Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by knighth001 View Post
See that's the problem with Apple devices...proprietary connectors and cords. I stick to phones, tablets, etc that use an industry standard. Like micro usb port. that way you only need one cable for everything. And the cables are a lot cheaper than the Apple proprietary ones.

Right now I have a USB cigarette plug in the TV and a 120v USB wall charger in the camper but i plan to install some USB charging ports in the camper when I finish installing the new converter.
without being an apple freak, i find the ipad is the best device for my needs, i had a few other brands prior to my ipad mini and its still the one i like best.(i dont want to start an apple vs other debate here, we can do it in another subject if you want).

Other than the connector on the ipad side they folow the latest usb standards.. as for cables, one extra cables is no big deal, i can live with that...like any other brand if you buy the original ones they are expensive...generic cables are cheap and work..
just my 2 cents
tartosuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 10:42 AM   #14

Name: gary
Trailer: 16' 1998 Scamp
Minnesota
Registry
I try and keep wads of various USB->whatever cords around. Somewhere in the universe at the end of the magic black hole is a giant pile of single socks and USB cables.
fusedlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 10:56 AM   #15

Registry
I haven't tried everything, but as long as I can stay on my $30 unlimited data plan, I'll have my iPad.

It sure is nice how long the battery lasts when it is not always searching for a signal (as it does from my cabin).
Old 08-22-2013, 08:14 PM   #16

Trailer: Chalet
Send a message via Yahoo to Lynn Musgrave
Quote:
Originally Posted by tartosuc View Post
without being an apple freak, i find the ipad is the best device for my needs, i had a few other brands prior to my ipad mini and its still the one i like best.(i dont want to start an apple vs other debate here, we can do it in another subject if you want).

Other than the connector on the ipad side they folow the latest usb standards.. as for cables, one extra cables is no big deal, i can live with that...like any other brand if you buy the original ones they are expensive...generic cables are cheap and work..
just my 2 cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusedlight View Post
I try and keep wads of various USB->whatever cords around. Somewhere in the universe at the end of the magic black hole is a giant pile of single socks and USB cables.
I agree with both the above....I will only add this I keep my wall charger and usb cords that came from Apple at home all my extra ones are after market ones that my DD ordered on line for me( lots cheaper but don't always last very long) The good thing is that for extras to keep in cars and campers they work great.The pnly problem we have found with them is that you cann't use the device while it is charging.

Not wanting to start any thing about what device( think brand) is best just telling what has worked for us.

Happy Camping
Lynn Musgrave is offline   Reply With Quote