New Kia Sedona - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-29-2007, 06:19 PM   #1

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Send a message via Yahoo to Candi Woods
I'm in the market for a new tow/family vehicle, and it's down to three choices: Kia Sedona, Toyota Sienna, Honda Odyssey. We really like the warranty and road side assistance on the Kia Sedona and the price can't be beat as compared to the other two. Does anybody have experience using a Kia Minivan as a tow vehicle? And what are your thoughts on its durability over time? We have a 13ft. Scamp but may move up to a 16ft. someday.

Candi
Candi Woods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 06:52 PM   #2

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
The Sedona was significantly revised recently, growing to roughly match the Toyota and Honda competition. I would expect the current version to be a more capable tow vehicle than the earlier version, which might be something to keep in mind if people report on their experience with older Sedonas.

I'm not saying anything specifically about Kia, but... it seems to me that sometimes the manufacturers with the shakiest reliability (or reputation) offer the best warranty, to reassure buyers. Remember 7-year Chrysler warranties, when Toyota was three years?

Trailer Life magazine's 2007 towing guide shows the same tow rating (3500 lb) for all three brands, but that's not an authoritative source. Whatever the actual value, the Scamps should be well within the capability of this class of van.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 07:03 PM   #3

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
here are some reviews on the Kia Sodona... but that doesnt mean they are all bad or good??

http://www.carreview.com/cat/automobiles/m...rx.aspx#reviews
Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 08:02 PM   #4

Trailer: 1996 13 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to John Perry
Quote:
Does anybody have experience using a Kia Minivan as a tow vehicle? And what are your thoughts on its durability over time? We have a 13ft. Scamp but may move up to a 16ft. someday.

Candi

I have retired twice. Once in 1997 and then again in 05. I became bored the first time and tried my hand at selling Toyotas as I have owned Toyotas and Hondas almost all of my life.
I discovered that very few people think about what their vehicle is going to be worth when they trade it in or sell it. .

A 2004 Kia Sedonna EX, the top of the line, with 50000 miles, luggage rack and tow package is worth $10,175.00 for trade in, the retail value is $12,475.00

A 2004 Honda LX, base model, with same miles and equipment is worth$15,025.00 in trade or $17,775.00 retail.

The same 2004 Toyota is even worth a little more. The LE which is the West Coast base model is worth $15,325.00 on trade and retail value is $17,900.00.

The used value is also good indicator of the quality, desireability and serviceability of the vehicle.

These are online figures from the NADA pricing guide. I am sure that Kelly Blue Book will show the same disparity in used prices.
KIA had to go to the longest warranty in the industry in order to stay in business.
Kia, now, builds a decent vehicle. Why settle for decent when you can have the best.

John
John Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 06:40 AM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I agree resell may be a consideration. But my question is, what did each of these three vehicles you mentioned John initially cost? What's the difference if you purchase at $10,000 and sell at $5,000...or purchase at $15,000 and sell at $10,000...it's still a $5,000 difference...but the initial outlay is more and sometimes that is hard to come up with.

I purchased a Ford F-150 brand new in 2000. The difference in price between the F-150 and Toyota was huge. I figured I'd drive a truck to about 150,000 miles and I know the Ford isn't going to be worth much in the end, where the Toyota would be. I couldn't come up with the money for the price difference and in the end...that's the money I would have gotten back by buying the Toyota....so it's a push. I think the real question is how long does one expect to own a particular vehicle. If turned fairly quickly then resell is a definite consideration. Probably the biggest deciding factor, is dependability, and for me, warranty.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 06:59 AM   #6

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
I have to agree with John here, but for different reasons. Here in Iowa, certain vehicles just don't have any resale value (regardless of what the blue books say) because they just aren't re-sellable on the used market. No one wants them. Kia is one of those vehicles. I suspect that the Nebraska market would be similar (outside of Omaha and Lincoln). The best bet for determining the actual resale value of a vehicle is to have a dealer research what the last ones have sold for wholesale and at auction. That's all available on-line to them now.

Hand in hand with that are dealer network availability and parts. Can you find a qualified Kia mechanic in the places you travel most? I can tell you that around here, you'd just get a big grin and a point in the direction of a big city somewhere. How about aftermarket parts like hitches, etc.? They're going to be harder to find 'cause there just aren't that many of them out there compared to the Honda and Toyota offerings.

Last, I have made it a point in the past few years to buy the most popular vehicle in the class I'm looking at and then negotiate the best price I can get on one, even if it's higher than a less popular model. It may tie up a little more cash, but that cash is more liquid because should I need to sell it, I'll be able to rather than being stuck with a "dog". That a vehicle is popular insures lots of sales and dealers, and a supply of nice aftermarket goodies. It also assures a good resale market and some room to negotiate the resale value as they're in demand used. You'll lose money on vehicles, it's the nature of what they are, but you can minimize your loss if you buy wisely.

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 02:05 PM   #7

When I bought my 2004 Sienna, the Honda was virtually the same price... but I think that's a valid point, Donna.

Current prices:
Sedona - <strike>$21,195</strike> $24,295 to $26,895
Sienna - $24,155 to $35,465
Odyssey - $28,695.00 to $36,895
All of those are base suggested retail for the range of trim levels, no other options, from US websites in US dollars. I can see that price is one reason to consider the Kia, but there's essentially no savings versus the Toyota and the difference to the Honda isn't huge. I think the high end of the Sienna and Odyssey reflect the huge pile of features available for them, and perhaps not for the Kia; for instance, the Sienna would be AWD.

I eliminated the base Kia on edit because it has a shorter wheelbase, which I would not choose for towing.

Even if the depreciation is the same number of dollars, the vehicle with the higher price still costs you more, because you have more money tied up in it (either not earning interest for you, or costing you interest on a loan).

I think Roger has some good points about following the crowd... it's always easier and usually more practical.
Old 01-30-2007, 03:12 PM   #8

Quote:
When I bought my 2004 Sienna, the Honda was virtually the same price... but I think that's a valid point, Donna.

Current prices:
Sedona - <strike>$21,195</strike> $24,295 to $26,895
Sienna - $24,155 to $35,465
Odyssey - $28,695.00 to $36,895
I think the high end of the Sienna and Odyssey reflect the huge pile of features available for them, and perhaps not for the Kia; for instance, the Sienna would be AWD.

I eliminated the base Kia on edit because it has a shorter wheelbase, which I would not choose for towing.
Brian,
The prices I sited were for the base California Honda and Toyota models. I did add a roof rack and tow package to each of the 3 vans. The prices sited were for comparabley equiped vans with the same mileage.
John
Old 01-30-2007, 03:42 PM   #9

Quote:
We really like the warranty and road side assistance on the Kia Sedona and the price can't be beat as compared to the other two.
Candi
Candi,
I forgot to mention something in my other post. I have had at least 8 Hondas and Toyotas in my lifetime.
The only time I have ever had to use the warranty on any of my vehicles was August of 2005. That was about a month after I had bought my New Tacoma. The A/C compressor started making noise. The dealership apologized and changed the compressor. The compressor started making noise again last August. I went back to the dealership and they changed the entire A/C system, compressor, condensor and hoses with no questions.
Every one of my Hondas and Toyotas have had a minimum of 180,000 miles on them when I traded them in or sold them. I never spent any money on any of them other than routine maintenance.
My 20 yo grandson is still driving a 1976 Toyota PU that I gave him. It has over 450,000 miles on it. It has the original engine and transmission and runs as well as it did the day I bought it.
I have a little over 35000 miles on my 05 Toyota. For $700.00 I can extend the bumper to bumper warranty to 5 years and 100,000 miles if I buy it before 36000 miles. I don't think I will spend the $700.00.
Hope this helps you make up your mind,
John
Old 01-30-2007, 05:10 PM   #10

Trailer: Cadet 1985 / 2006 Element
Quote:
Every one of my Hondas and Toyotas have had a minimum of 180,000 miles on them when I traded them in or sold them. I never spent any money on any of them other than routine maintenance.
John: I will echo the comment about Hondas. We've had many since 1975, and all of them went over 200,000 miles. Anna has an Accord and I bought an Element because of our experiences. I wish the 98 Windstar, still sitting in the driveway, was as dependable; I've replaced the transmission twice on it. 67,000 miles seems to be the failing point.
DonInChatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 05:57 PM   #11

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
My wife and i have 2 Toyotos at present time and a GMC.The GMC front end wheel bearings both failed at 50,000KM.A $1000 repair bill.Our Toyotos never failed us .We have had at least 7 Toyotos in last 10 years.Why so many.We upgraded as and when we could.
Old 01-30-2007, 07:28 PM   #12

Trailer: 1999 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe ('Inn EggsIsle')
Quote:
here are some reviews on the Kia Sodona... but that doesnt mean they are all bad or good??

http://www.carreview.com/cat/automobiles/m...rx.aspx#reviews
In all fairness these reviews are earlier year models and www.edmonds.com has written up the 2006 Kia Sedona as a much improved vehicle over the earlier models. In my area the Sedona LX (2006 not 2007) is selling brand new for $16,999.00 with factory trailer hitch option at $450.00 and for a new car very well appointed with a 100,000 mile warranty on drive train thats a heck of a buy. I am a Toyota man but if I needed a 2nd car right now that Sedona would be a serious consideration. I guess "I say all that to say this" (quote, tricky Dickie Nixon) I agree with John, Donna and Roger, Oh yeah, the figure have the Sedona as equal in HP as both Toyota and Honda and with more pulling power. Would I trade my Tundra with over 100,000 miles for one?? NOOOO.
Donna, the Tundra's were overpriced in 99 & 2000 but they are more competative right now but I expect that to change when the new one comes out this month
Old 01-30-2007, 07:41 PM   #13

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
Donna, the Tundra's were overpriced in 99 & 2000 but they are more competative right now but I expect that to change when the new one comes out this month
Bill, I'm anxiously awaiting the release of the '07 Tundra. They're anticipating selling 200,000 units. Hopefully that'll free up a bunch of really nice, low mileage '04 & '05 Tundras into the used market! That ought to drive their prices down a little and maybe I can afford one!

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 07:56 PM   #14

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: When I was in the car business in the '80s we used to say "If it's hot new it'll probably be hot used"!!! I am looking for a good used Toyota pickup truck...Lotsa luck
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 01:57 PM   #15

Well, after looking everything over and comparing prices versus available options we finally settled on the one that was the color we wanted. Yes, the color. The sienna was so well matched against the odyssey that it was a difficult choice. We could get everything we wanted for both vehicles at a price we could afford. The honda would have needed some dealership installed options but the sienna had them included in the xle model with package #5. The price would have been about the same. So, it came down to the color and I got to choose.

Toyota Sienna XLE 2007, mirage blue metallic, package #5 (heated leather seats, power doors, dvd player for the kids, in dash 6 cd changer) And, importantly, no run flat tires. I'm ready to go on a road trip.

Candi
Old 02-01-2007, 07:18 PM   #16

Trailer: 1999 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe ('Inn EggsIsle')
Old 02-01-2007, 07:46 PM   #17

Candi, you got all the options I didn't get (mine is a lowly LE), and about 50 hp more as well (new engine for 2007)... and you're towing a trailer half the weight of mine. Should be a nice ride!
Old 02-02-2007, 12:25 AM   #18

Trailer: 35 ft Park Model
My bestfriend has a Kia Sedona and he's had it for 3 or 4 years. Decent vehicle and the only complaint is gas mileage. This is from the opinion of someone who has never towed anything, other than his out-laws.

M2C!
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 10:34 AM   #19

Quote:
Candi, you got all the options I didn't get (mine is a lowly LE), and about 50 hp more as well (new engine for 2007)... and you're towing a trailer half the weight of mine. Should be a nice ride!

Yes, I guess I'm a little spoiled! I had loads of fun haggling with the salespeople, though. I did a lot of research so I had some info going in, a big plus. I stuck to my guns and got the salesman to lower the price $4,000 from the sticker price, still a little bit of a profit for them (though they acted like they got nothing out of it, I knew better). The finance charge (apr) was a little higher than I wanted to pay but still lower than they first offered. By making a good down payment to lower the monthly rate and no charge for possible early payment we didn't do too bad. Our poor GMC Jimmy will now get a needed break, it's worked hard for us these last twelve years and deserves a needed rest, in town driving only from now on and no more long trips.

Did I mention how much fun negotiating with the salespeople was?Yes I guess I did. Anyone looking for someone to buy a car for them? Haggling is quite enjoyable!

I think there is a new topic wanting to be hatched.

Candi