New mattress-custom made for Scamp - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-24-2016, 09:04 AM   #15

Name: Dennis
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 16 SD
Tennessee
I ordered one for my Scamp 16 several years back and it was around $600. This was the most expensive one offered. They do offer other less expensive options. It is a lot of money but your back will fall in love with you when you wake up in the morning. I tried memory foam toppers of all sorts but nothing worked. I got the most expensive model because this was going to be my last attempt to make the bed comfortable. It is one of the best investments I have made yet for my Scamp. hey also had the Scamp bed size measurements in house. I suggested that they put Scamps as well as Casitas on their website but they never did. I host the LBL Fall rally Oct 6-9, 2017. I will be happy to allow anyone interested to see and try my mattress at the rally.

Old 04-02-2016, 10:31 AM   #16

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
Dennis,

Thanks for posting. Might be worth looking into if they could make a less expensive model. I'm assuming the 16' Scamp dinette bed is same size as a 13, unless you have the 54" bed?

Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV

Old 04-07-2016, 12:59 AM   #17

Name: Frank
Trailer: Scamp 16 Side dinette
California
Bed Mattress

We have a local commercial foam mattress dealer that used the pattern, from the cushions, and cut it out. Now the good commercial mattress have a dense foam band, about 5 inches or so around the edge of the mattress to keep some stability. Since ours was not the full size of the queen he started with he left the dense trim on the side we get in and out of the bed. The mattress is near 6" thick and we leave it on all the time. It is easy enough to lift the aisle side or the ends to access the rear storage.

Old 04-07-2016, 08:54 AM   #18

Name: Jacob
Trailer: Scamp
Iowa
Registry
We purchased a 8" memory foam mattress and just cut it to size using a hot knife, we had to open the cover that came on it to cut it down, but after trimming and sewing it back together it fits really well, only cost us about $150, we started with a full size mattress.
Old 10-16-2016, 10:06 AM   #19

Name: Teresa
New York
What about for the Scamp Fifth Wheel? Making that bed is a real challenge.
Old 10-16-2016, 01:36 PM   #20

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, Tacoma 4.0L 4door, SB
Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrinolte View Post
What about for the Scamp Fifth Wheel? Making that bed is a real challenge.
You brought up a hot topic for me. I assume that you are talking about the 19ft Deluxe, with the sleeping area really blocked off by the bathroom. We use queen size fitted sheets, just because my DW thinks that is the way it should be. I would like to cut off the rubber band and the margin and just lay the mattress pad and the sheet on top and tuck in the edges. The way it is now is a real workout.

Yes, how do other Scamp 19D users do it? We are a small subset of the membership, but there must be some good ideas out there!
Old 10-16-2016, 01:47 PM   #21

Name: Teresa
New York
Making that fifth wheel mattress work

Ours is not the deluxe model, but the mattress is still challenging as it is. I like a foam topper and a mattress pad, so I simply (not so simple, really) wrapped the mattress pad around the foam topper, since it is nearly impossible to tuck anything around the existing cushions. Then I wrapped the fitted queen sheet around the pad and mattress topper with an unfitted sheet tucked in the bottom (feet end). It's a little lumpy, but we're camping, right?

Sleeping from port to starboard, we still don't have enough foot room, but we make it do and my husband is 6'3". Scamp says it's a queen mattress, but we figured out it is a queen only if you raise up the side (front end - sofa end) with those supports. But then how do you get in and out of bed when you need the lav at night? We thought we'd have a step stool in place - but there is no room for that. So we sacrifice foot room in order to sleep port to starboard and we're okay with that.
Old 10-16-2016, 03:20 PM   #22

Name: Al
North Carolina
As mentioned earlier in this thread, we have an 19D with the side bath and a Southern Mattress mattress. Several years ago we bought a queen Travasak (sp?) and are still using it. It's basically two comforters (one summer weight and another a bit heavier) with a perimeter zipper around both sides and the foot with upper and lower sheets attached with Velcro. Takes only a couple of minutes to zip it back up and tuck it in around the sides. We were in SD earlier this month and stayed warm enough with around freezing temps without running the furnace until we got up.

These folks are no longer in business but a company by the name of rvsuperbag is offering a similar product. No experience with them and the price seems higher than I recall it but may be worth a look

Tags
scamp