"New" MF brand, went to see today ~ Avco - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-02-2010, 04:32 PM   #15

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
Bigfoot made a gihugey model too, 25 ft. This thing might actually be considered a small mobile home, rather than a big trailer.

Donna, thats a great idea!

Old 07-03-2010, 07:47 AM   #16

Name: Roger
Trailer: Y2K6 Born Free 32RQ on the Kodiak chassis, 1995 Coachmen 19' B-van and 1996 Precision 21' Sailboat
Iowa
For posterity, since this may be a one-off trailer in the manner of Bardy's Geographic, I thought I'd preserve the original Craigslist photos and ad in this thread as well.

Ad:

Quote:
1971 Avco Travel Trailer - Vintage - $3995 (Oregon City)
Date: 2010-06-25, 8:44PM PDT
Reply to: xxxxxxxx[at]craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

1971 Avco Travel Trailer.
25' Long
I do not know the Tow Weight...

Have researched this like crazy and have found out that Avco made this

trailer to compete with the High End Air Stream. Haven't seen any like it!

Have Title in hand.

Asking 3995.00 or best offer.

Please call xxx.xxx.xxxx
Attached Images

Old 07-03-2010, 07:57 AM   #17

Trailer: Y2K6 Born Free 32RQ on the Kodiak chassis, 1995 Coachmen 19' B-van and 1996 Precision 21' Sailboat
Iowa
Quote:
Bigfoot made a gihugey model too, 25 ft. This thing might actually be considered a small mobile home, rather than a big trailer.
As a current owner of one of those Bigfoot gihugey models, I can tell you that it doesn't tow any differently than the 17' Bigfoot did. It's pretty amazing, and although I also have a stock-stripper 1400 lb Scamp 16 side dinette that I tow with my Honda Element, it's unlikely that I'll part with my 5400 lb Bigfoot 25RQ for a very long time. I use them for different kinds of travelling... and they're both excellent at doing what they were designed for.

This Avco, with work, could make someone who tows with a half-ton truck an excellent trailer. It would certainly be the talk of every campground you went to. The one thing I'm surprised about is that it doesn't have a black tank. Most manufacturers included black waste tanks by 1968, and but gray tanks didn't universally appear in trailers this size until about 1973 or 1974.

That furnace was a standard Suburban used in high-end trailers in 1968-1974 or so. I had one in my 1970 Airstream Safari. They were pretty efficient furnaces for their day... I don't know if parts are still available or not. Some of the old furnaces had a recalls on them about a part that cracked and could leak carbon monoxide, so anyone who gets this trailer would want to check that before using it.

Were it closer to me, It'd probably be in my yard by now!

Roger
Old 07-03-2010, 01:13 PM   #18

Name: Tom
Trailer: 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Texas
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
Here is a link to the Airstream rebuild that Steve mentioned. It shows what is possible with talent and money. The post runs 37 pages but alot of it is "wows".

http://www.rv.net/forums/index.cfm/fuseact...ng/1/page/1.cfm
Old 07-03-2010, 08:29 PM   #19

Trailer: Bigfoot 21 ft Rear Bed
Quote:
Here is a link to the Airstream rebuild that Steve mentioned. It shows what is possible with talent and money. The post runs 37 pages but alot of it is "wows".

http://www.rv.net/forums/index.cfm/fuseact...ng/1/page/1.cfm
Thanks for posting the link Tom. Yes, all that's needed is talent, money and of course time.
Old 07-03-2010, 08:41 PM   #20

Name: N/A
Trailer: 1985 AND 1988 Casita Patriot Deluxe 13'ers. 10 eggs shy of a carton!
Oregon
Registry
Gina, thanks for the fantastic review and pics! The project is a bit out of my price range, and definitely too heavy for my Nissan Frontier, but woooo, it would be cool to have that in my driveway for a project/girl cave.

Threads like this are really helpful to us wanna-bees who are learning how to evaluate a potential rig. Much appreciated!
Old 07-04-2010, 04:35 PM   #21
Commercial Member

Name: Deb & Chuck
Trailer: Bigfoot, Boler, Trillium, ECO, U-Haul, Burro, Escape, Trailswest, Compact Jr., Casita, Scamp
Washington
Quote:

Donna, thats a great idea!

Actually it looks like Bigfoot made a 28 ft. "Silver Cloud" in 1987. Here is the posting on that one: http://www.fiberglass-rv-4sale.com/for-sal...donia-on-canada

I've seen several Avco motor homes years ago when we had a motor home. They looked like this trailer except for the front, they were Class A's.
Deb
Old 07-04-2010, 10:20 PM   #22

Iowa
Quote:
Actually it looks like Bigfoot made a 28 ft. "Silver Cloud" in 1987. Here is the posting on that one: http://www.fiberglass-rv-4sale.com/for-sal...donia-on-canada

I've seen several Avco motor homes years ago when we had a motor home. They looked like this trailer except for the front, they were Class A's.
Deb
Here's the original posting with larger photos:

28' Bigfoot on Kijiji

Roger
Old 07-05-2010, 12:07 AM   #23

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
Jeep can't tow THAT one either! Ugh!
Old 07-05-2010, 07:00 AM   #24

Iowa
I've never seen a 28' molded Bigfoot! That may take the record for the longest molded fiberglass trailer out there!!! That front living room design is marvelous! Now... if only it were a rear island queen... !!!

Gina... I told you, it'll tow it fine. Just head on over to Can-Am RV in Ontario first... they'll fix you up! I honestly can't recommend any of the tow combinations that they set up... they seem to suspend the laws of physics and the truisms that we all "know"... but OTOH, I've never heard of any of their rigs crashing either... although I'd guess that there's probably some extremely short drivetrain failure times there... amazing stuff tho!

Roger
Old 07-05-2010, 08:14 AM   #25

During The Long Long Trailer era cars with separate frames seemed better suited for towing travel trailers than cars of today. I suspect then it was rare to see a pickup truck towing them. Now, with unibody type construction, you almost have to rely on the car manufacturer for towing capabilities and I doubt any of the setups shown in the Can-Am RV video comply. Besides the stress on the frame I agree with Roger that the drivetrain would not have much longevity. Setting that all aside, imagine the legal liability for towing something outside of manufacturer's recommendations. I'm not sure that even your insurance company would support you in the event of an accident.
Old 07-05-2010, 08:52 AM   #26

Trailer: Bigfoot Rear Queen 25 ft
As a current owner of one of those Bigfoot gihugey models, I can tell you that it doesn't tow any differently than the 17' Bigfoot did

Amen to that Roger. My only complaint is that when I misplace something inside I can't remember what room I may have left it in!

afterthought edit - The floor on the Silver Cloud doesn't look original though...hmmmm??
Old 07-05-2010, 09:06 AM   #27

Quote:
[b]As a current owner of one of those Bigfoot gihugey models, I can tell you that it doesn't tow any differently than the 17' Bigfoot did

Amen to that Roger. My only complaint is that when I misplace something inside I can't remember what room I may have left it in!

afterthought edit - The floor on the Silver Cloud doesn't look original though...hmmmm??
Yep, and my 21' Bigfoot tows about the same as my previous 17.5'.
Old 07-07-2010, 07:19 AM   #28

Iowa
Quote:
Well, Mike... the trailer IS twenty-three years old!!!! I'd imagine that the OE carpet probably came out a while ago!

Roger