New National Fishing Regulations Coming - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-09-2010, 07:36 PM   #1

Trailer: Casita
Send a message via Yahoo to Johnny B
Interesting article a friend forwarded me about coming new regulation of fishing. The bigger point could be the question of governmental control of all the land and its resources. RVers use public lands and enjoy freedom of travel, and there is a constantly changing regulatory environment. This article suggests that some day you may not be able to go fishing in your trailer.

Reasonable or not?

Old 03-09-2010, 07:53 PM   #2

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Another perspective:

http://www.mrtrends.com/espn-claims-obama-...an-fishing/094/
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 09:46 PM   #3

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Arrow

Quote:
This article suggests that some day you may not be able to go fishing [b]in your trailer.
"Robert, I told you not to leave the water running so long!"
Old 03-10-2010, 12:17 AM   #4

Trailer: 1999 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
We do our fishing at Safeway, but it is fine for others.

This issue is indicative of the mounting distrust of government.
Herb Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 08:20 AM   #5

Trailer: 1990 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
I've always wondered why you could not hunt in a national park, but you could still fish. Preserving natural populations seems a worthy goal.
Cam A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 09:14 AM   #6

Trailer: Bigfoot 21.5 ft (25B21RB)
Thank you Raya for contributing the voice of reason to ESPN's absurd reporting. A little distrust of the press should also be a fine American tradition.

Cam, I have always wondered the same thing about fishing in National Parks and I used to work in the parks as a ranger. There is a double standard about protecting land based wildlife vs that found in the water. When I worked at Grand Canyon there was much controversy about the trout fishery, though. Since trout were an introduced species the Park Service has long agonized about regulating the trout fishery as opposed to getting rid of trout altogether to protect native fish species in the park. The last I heard, the state of Arizona is still stocking trout in the Colorado River upstream of the park, while the Park Service managers are trying to eradicate trout in some of the side streams in the National Park to protect endangered aquatic species.
David and Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 09:53 AM   #7

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
"" is the most absurd and irresponsible thing I have ever seen a major news outlet publish.""

Now that's the funniest line I've seen in weeks![lol]
Just Imagine the kind of sheltered life you would have to live for that line to be true![lol]
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 12:33 PM   #8

Trailer: 77 Scamp
only thing better than camping...is fishing....
Attached Thumbnails
upper_yak_001.jpg   upper_yak_016.jpg  

Flygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 12:43 PM   #9

Trailer: 88 Scamp 16 ft
Registry
Quote:
I've always wondered why you could not hunt in a national park, but you could still fish. Preserving natural populations seems a worthy goal.
Hunting tends to be a "killing sport" where fishing is capable of being a catch and release sport. I believe this is one of the reasons that fishing is still allowed.
DanPatWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 06:05 AM   #10

Trailer: 95 Casita Spirit Deluxe 16 ft
Do Gooders & Tree Huggers are trying to shut down The Hatteras Rec. area, & they have been bustin on the Fisherman for years with their unnecessary regulations...... They permit controled hunting in the National wildlife refuse inland from me.. Hunt for water foul & Bears, deer etc.
kconley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 07:50 AM   #11

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
As of 1 Jan. this year, if you are over 16 years old and a non commercial fisherman you have to register with the Fed's to fish in federal salt or brackish water. You have to register at NOAA.gov. and provide your personal contact information. The site also suggests fees will come in following years. Basically it's a federal salt water fishing license. It seems they are more concerned about your personal information than the fish. The next thing I guess, they will want you to register your fishing rods and you will have to pass a back ground check to buy bait.
I don't know what bothers me the most, the gathering of personal information or another tax. I guess federal decals and fees for RV's and travel trailers will be next, if they are used on federal lands.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 09:54 AM   #12
Commercial Member

Trailer: 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
WOW! The posting is about an ESPN "article" about fishing rights. As it turns out, even ESPN has stepped back from the "article" and the editor responded saying it should have been labeled an opinion piece (i.e. not factual news).

http://sports.espn.go.com/outdoors/saltwat...&id=4982359

I love camping in my fiberglass trailer, and talking about camping in my fiberglass trailer, and learning about fiberglass trailers, and fiberglass trailers ...
brian m. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 02:50 PM   #13

Trailer: Boler 1984
Quote:
The next thing I guess, they will want you to register your fishing rods and you will have to pass a back ground check to buy bait.

Eddie
Oh Boy! I hope that never happens. I have over 40 rod and reel combos in the basement. I guess that I'm a tackle junky but i love to fish and have been collecting old bait casters from the thirties, forties and fifties, for years. My wife just rolls her eyes when I spot another one at a yard sale. The Dr made me sell the boat at 70 you can still find me in a canoe or a kayak bangin' the weeds for largemouth and pike. Some perch for lunch is always nice and spring bluegill fishing with an ultra light is a blast.

BTW
I was sittin' there fishing when along comes a cottonmouth snake with a frog in it's mouth. I knew that frogs were good Bass bait and the snake couldn't bite me with the frog in it's mouth so I reached down and grabbed the snake behind the head and removed the frog and dumped it into my bait bucket. The problem now was how to release the snake without getting bit. I grabbed the Jack Daniels and poured a good shot down it's throat. The snake dropped it's head and completely relaxed so thatIi could let it go unharmed. A little while later I felt a tug on my trouwser leg and there was the same snake with two frogs in it's mouth.
That's my story .......and I'm stickin' to it.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote