New neighbor has moved in... - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-10-2008, 09:30 AM   #15

Trailer: Compact Jr
Coons, possums, and the occasional coyote here (rural area east of Seattle). Oh, and lots of mice (not so many since we got our latest cat--she's definitely a Mighty Hunter).

Coons are the most brazen. Come right up onto the porch to eat the cat's food, and don't retreat very far when you go out to yell at them.

Old 07-11-2008, 09:59 AM   #16

Name: Bruce
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft RQ
Missouri
What happens if you shoot him?

Old 07-11-2008, 10:30 AM   #17

Trailer: 2008 19 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe 5th Wheel
Like The Waco Kid told Sherriff Bart in Blazing Saddles (referenceing Mongo)

No, no. Don't do that. Don't do that. If you shoot him you'll just make him mad.

http://www.ladyofthecake.com/mel/sad...ds/makemad.wav

Quote:
Old 07-11-2008, 01:22 PM   #18

Trailer: 1983 Scamp 13 ft Standard
Quote:
He'd die... n' if I got caught I'd go to jail!
I'm not for killing him at all... I just want him to not make my pond his home. Unfortunately I'm finding out I'm pretty powerless to do anything. He's too small to be considered a nuisance and it's big time against the law to trap & kill one in SC without a permit & out of season. You definately don't feed it...and throwing bait out is considered feeding.

The "Alligator Adventure"
phone #'s are all recorded messages and no one has returned a call. A biologist with the state DNR is suppost to get back with me. They may try to come get him and relocate him...maybe.

Meanwhile, we've had hard rains here the last two nights...I haven't seen the little critter.

BTW, someone asked where it's Mother might be...
Click image for larger version

Name:	1325356145_c7bf326819.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	130.4 KB
ID:	14369
she's right here... The Waccamaw River. My property is next to the hardwood swamp that's part of it's floodplain.

If I've figured correctly, this is a juvenile that's been driven out by the Mother, who has now a new egg brood to care for. They lay eggs in early to late June which hatch in late August & September. Last years brood are driven off to keep them from eating the newborns.

As for them showing up where they're not wanted...they're like potato chips...you can't just have one. Eventually more will show up.

BTW if anyone would like to know more about the Waccamaw River, here's a link. It's one of our last Black Water Rivers, very beautiful, and well worth a camping trip.
Old 07-13-2008, 08:54 AM   #19

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
http://www.gatorama.com/recipes.htm

In some areas, it is illegal to trap and transport critters like 'coons because you might be moving a rabies-infected animal to a clean zone.
Old 07-13-2008, 11:23 AM   #20

Name: Camilla
Trailer: 73 Playpac
Kentucky
You can always put a sign like this at your pond in case you don't get him:

Name:	donotfeed.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	14387
Old 07-13-2008, 01:19 PM   #21

[quote]You can always put a sign like this at your pond in case you don't get him:
Attachment 14387

Yeah, that'd work...then I could teach Buddy to read...

Name:   buddywaggersmall.gif
Views: 13
Size:  3.1 KB
Old 07-13-2008, 02:53 PM   #22

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
You do need to get serious about having the your guest removed. You don't want to have one of these:

Name:	Big_Gator__Medium_.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	14394

Twenty eight foot one inch gator found in Lake Wiess about 90 miles north of Birmingham, AL.

in you back yard now do you?
CD Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 03:21 PM   #23

I'm keeping my eyes peeled...so far I haven't seen it since I first spotted it last wednesday.

To put that photo of the Birmingham monster in scale of what I've got, that front loader hoisting it up would be made by Tonka if it was hoisting the one out of my pond. It may be 1 1/2' if that.

I'm hoping it skee-daddled, I've been hunting it but with no luck.

Five years ago I had one about 5' long show up in the pond...he went bye-bye too.
Old 07-15-2008, 10:09 PM   #24

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
The worst part about that 'Bama Gator is that it resurrected itself in Texas...

http://www.snopes.com/photos/animals/wcgator.asp

and they sent the same Fish and Game guy to trap it again in exactly the same manner.

According to this site http://home.cfl.rr.com/gatorhole/, the record for an American Alligator is 19' 2" and even that is rare.

Old 07-16-2008, 06:21 AM   #25

Name: Alfred
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2010 Nissan Frontier
Ontario
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
The worst part about that 'Bama Gator is that it resurrected itself in Texas...

http://www.snopes.com/photos/animals/wcgator.asp

and they sent the same Fish and Game guy to trap it again in exactly the same manner.

According to this site http://home.cfl.rr.com/gatorhole/, the record for an American Alligator is 19' 2" and even that is rare.
Hi: Pete... WELL!!! They always have to have the BIGGEST of everything in TEXAS
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Old 07-16-2008, 02:48 PM   #26

Here's a "Gator Update" from the Pond-a-rosa of Myrtle Beach...

Yep, the 'little booger' is still in the pond...saw him again at dusk last nite. He's cute, and curious, and no real threat yet. He's not even 2' long from tip to tail, but still looks fierce...and he barks. I'll get some photos of him soon.

Talked on the phone with a Biologist with the SC DNR, he's sending me a permit with a tag that'll allow me to take care of him legally. Looking at the latest SC DNR press release, they have a "Private Lands Permit Program" that gives landowners some leeway in handling nuisance alligators, although I've noticed that while they beat around the bush and never outright say it, to remove a nuisance alligator is to kill it.

They do specifically say that alligators cannot be relocated. And from my discussion with the State Biologist, I take that to mean that due to costs in resources and manpower, relocating alligators is not a option that the SC DNR does when called to attend to a nuisance alligator.

According to the biologist, he,(or she) is a young juvenile just out on its own, a yearling, looking for a safe pool away from the river, and away from bigger 'gators. He's no threat to anything larger than small fish or frogs, and it'll be years before he'd be big enough to threaten dogs or people. That's not to say I'm cotton to the idea of him staying in the pond. As much as I'm down there, and my dog is down there, he'll eventually lose his fear of me or anybody else and eventually become a threat. He may stay a guest for a season, but eventually I'd have to take harsh action. Better to catch him with a dip net now as a baby, than with a rifle shot as a larger juvenile.

In the end, it's my discresion what I do with that alligator, but if I intend to catch him and put him somewhere else, or outright kill him, I just better have that permit.

I wish Steve Irwin was still alive...

ConwayBob
Old 07-16-2008, 04:02 PM   #27

Trailer: 2003 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Send a message via AIM to Robert Brummett Send a message via MSN to Robert Brummett Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Brummett
Quote:
In the end, it's my discresion what I do with that alligator...

ConwayBob
Alligator sausage is a favorite in southwest LA.

Here's some more...

http://www.recipezaar.com/recipes.php?food...title=alligator
Old 07-18-2008, 06:58 PM   #28

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Perhaps the SC DNR would like to attend the Tupperware party, or have it come to them. After all, the little guy is still too small to be much of a nuisance...

Good luck.