New neighbor has moved in... - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-19-2008, 05:07 PM   #29
Trailer: 1989 16 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
At least he isn't poisonous, if that makes you feel any better. Here in TX, there are 4 kinds of poisonous snakes, plus all the chick and egg eating ones. Also, all kinds of furry creatures what eat everything that's left. Oh, and I forgot all the poisonous scorpians and spiders, ................

SharonNDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 09:18 PM   #30
Trailer: 93 Casita Spirit Deluxe 16 ft
Maybe a smaller weighted snatch-hook , file the barbs down so you can remove it easier. You definetly will not kill him or even really do much damage to him with it.
That's how we catch them here (S. Alabama) during alligator season, and a lot of hunters do catch/release before tagging a keeper.
It shouldn't be to hard to catch him, they're really dumb when they are little like that, and not nearly as shy as the bigger ones are.

Brandon M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 12:16 AM   #31
Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Now that you have your removal permit, you are free to fatten it up for the kill.

Hook in chunk of meat suspended from milk jug would be best way to harvest, but meanwhile just consider it a garbage disposal for chicken bones, etc. I'd guess that late Fall would good harvest time because it will still be carbing up for the winter season.

Find a good ant nest now to put the skull on to get it really clean.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 09:25 PM   #32
Trailer: 1983 Scamp 13 ft Standard
Alligator Update from the Pond-a-Rosa of Myrtle Beach

Well thanks y'all with all the hookin' baitin' & cookin' recipies, sure has given me plenty of neat options.

Click image for larger version

Name:	07_20_08_1015.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	135.0 KB
ID:	14571
He's just a BABY! Ain't he CUTE?

...and he's now somewhere else, no longer in my pond.
That photo is of him just moments from freedom. He's in a plastic shipping crate, I'm guessing 24"x36" and he's sitting on the lip of the short side.

I caught him by dropping a floating rubber white mouse with a barbless hook near him. He went for it like a dog on a steakbone and I simply hand pulled him in. I don't think he was even hooked since the lure was out of his mouth as soon as he went in the box.

From there it was a short walk to the swamp along the Waccamaw where he was eager to dive in the water. I bet all of it is now just a fading memory in his little alligator mind.

If I do see him again, I'll wonder if he'll have the same hankering for white rubber mice.

Thanks again everyone for the good advice and disscussion, it was a hoot!

See ya l8tr alligator!
Check out my Scamp restoration video on Youtube, & my Ham Radio Blog. Or take the 50 cent tour...
Bob H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 10:59 PM   #33
Trailer: 1970 Campster
Contrats on your critter capture! I'm glad you were able to relocate him and did not take anyone up on gator recipes. And by the way. . . gator tastes more like rubbery fish than chicken. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise!
Lisa H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 01:24 AM   #34
Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Depends on the gator and how it was cooked! But that itty bitty thing was hardly a sandwich...

Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote