New neighbor has moved in... - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2008, 12:19 PM   #21

Trailer: 1983 Scamp 13 ft Standard
[quote]You can always put a sign like this at your pond in case you don't get him:
Attachment 14387

Yeah, that'd work...then I could teach Buddy to read...

Name:   buddywaggersmall.gif
Views: 13
Size:  3.1 KB
Old 07-13-2008, 01:53 PM   #22

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
You do need to get serious about having the your guest removed. You don't want to have one of these:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Big_Gator__Medium_.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	14394

Twenty eight foot one inch gator found in Lake Wiess about 90 miles north of Birmingham, AL.

in you back yard now do you?
CD Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 02:21 PM   #23

I'm keeping my eyes peeled...so far I haven't seen it since I first spotted it last wednesday.

To put that photo of the Birmingham monster in scale of what I've got, that front loader hoisting it up would be made by Tonka if it was hoisting the one out of my pond. It may be 1 1/2' if that.

I'm hoping it skee-daddled, I've been hunting it but with no luck.

Five years ago I had one about 5' long show up in the pond...he went bye-bye too.
Old 07-15-2008, 09:09 PM   #24

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
The worst part about that 'Bama Gator is that it resurrected itself in Texas...

http://www.snopes.com/photos/animals/wcgator.asp

and they sent the same Fish and Game guy to trap it again in exactly the same manner.

According to this site http://home.cfl.rr.com/gatorhole/, the record for an American Alligator is 19' 2" and even that is rare.

Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 05:21 AM   #25

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
The worst part about that 'Bama Gator is that it resurrected itself in Texas...

http://www.snopes.com/photos/animals/wcgator.asp

and they sent the same Fish and Game guy to trap it again in exactly the same manner.

According to this site http://home.cfl.rr.com/gatorhole/, the record for an American Alligator is 19' 2" and even that is rare.
Hi: Pete... WELL!!! They always have to have the BIGGEST of everything in TEXAS
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 01:48 PM   #26

Here's a "Gator Update" from the Pond-a-rosa of Myrtle Beach...

Yep, the 'little booger' is still in the pond...saw him again at dusk last nite. He's cute, and curious, and no real threat yet. He's not even 2' long from tip to tail, but still looks fierce...and he barks. I'll get some photos of him soon.

Talked on the phone with a Biologist with the SC DNR, he's sending me a permit with a tag that'll allow me to take care of him legally. Looking at the latest SC DNR press release, they have a "Private Lands Permit Program" that gives landowners some leeway in handling nuisance alligators, although I've noticed that while they beat around the bush and never outright say it, to remove a nuisance alligator is to kill it.

They do specifically say that alligators cannot be relocated. And from my discussion with the State Biologist, I take that to mean that due to costs in resources and manpower, relocating alligators is not a option that the SC DNR does when called to attend to a nuisance alligator.

According to the biologist, he,(or she) is a young juvenile just out on its own, a yearling, looking for a safe pool away from the river, and away from bigger 'gators. He's no threat to anything larger than small fish or frogs, and it'll be years before he'd be big enough to threaten dogs or people. That's not to say I'm cotton to the idea of him staying in the pond. As much as I'm down there, and my dog is down there, he'll eventually lose his fear of me or anybody else and eventually become a threat. He may stay a guest for a season, but eventually I'd have to take harsh action. Better to catch him with a dip net now as a baby, than with a rifle shot as a larger juvenile.

In the end, it's my discresion what I do with that alligator, but if I intend to catch him and put him somewhere else, or outright kill him, I just better have that permit.

I wish Steve Irwin was still alive...

ConwayBob
Old 07-16-2008, 03:02 PM   #27

Trailer: 2003 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Send a message via AIM to Robert Brummett Send a message via MSN to Robert Brummett Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Brummett
Quote:
In the end, it's my discresion what I do with that alligator...

ConwayBob
Alligator sausage is a favorite in southwest LA.

Here's some more...

http://www.recipezaar.com/recipes.php?food...title=alligator
Robert Brummett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 05:58 PM   #28

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Perhaps the SC DNR would like to attend the Tupperware party, or have it come to them. After all, the little guy is still too small to be much of a nuisance...

Good luck.
MarianA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 05:07 PM   #29

Trailer: 1989 16 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
At least he isn't poisonous, if that makes you feel any better. Here in TX, there are 4 kinds of poisonous snakes, plus all the chick and egg eating ones. Also, all kinds of furry creatures what eat everything that's left. Oh, and I forgot all the poisonous scorpians and spiders, ................
SharonNDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 09:18 PM   #30

Trailer: 93 Casita Spirit Deluxe 16 ft
Maybe a smaller weighted snatch-hook , file the barbs down so you can remove it easier. You definetly will not kill him or even really do much damage to him with it.
That's how we catch them here (S. Alabama) during alligator season, and a lot of hunters do catch/release before tagging a keeper.
It shouldn't be to hard to catch him, they're really dumb when they are little like that, and not nearly as shy as the bigger ones are.
Brandon M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 12:16 AM   #31

Now that you have your removal permit, you are free to fatten it up for the kill.

Hook in chunk of meat suspended from milk jug would be best way to harvest, but meanwhile just consider it a garbage disposal for chicken bones, etc. I'd guess that late Fall would good harvest time because it will still be carbing up for the winter season.

Find a good ant nest now to put the skull on to get it really clean.
Old 07-20-2008, 09:25 PM   #32

Alligator Update from the Pond-a-Rosa of Myrtle Beach

Well thanks y'all with all the hookin' baitin' & cookin' recipies, sure has given me plenty of neat options.

But:

Click image for larger version

Name:	07_20_08_1015.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	135.0 KB
ID:	14571
He's just a BABY! Ain't he CUTE?

...and he's now somewhere else, no longer in my pond.
That photo is of him just moments from freedom. He's in a plastic shipping crate, I'm guessing 24"x36" and he's sitting on the lip of the short side.

I caught him by dropping a floating rubber white mouse with a barbless hook near him. He went for it like a dog on a steakbone and I simply hand pulled him in. I don't think he was even hooked since the lure was out of his mouth as soon as he went in the box.

From there it was a short walk to the swamp along the Waccamaw where he was eager to dive in the water. I bet all of it is now just a fading memory in his little alligator mind.

If I do see him again, I'll wonder if he'll have the same hankering for white rubber mice.

Thanks again everyone for the good advice and disscussion, it was a hoot!

See ya l8tr alligator!
ConwayBob
Old 07-20-2008, 10:59 PM   #33

Trailer: 1970 Campster
Contrats on your critter capture! I'm glad you were able to relocate him and did not take anyone up on gator recipes. And by the way. . . gator tastes more like rubbery fish than chicken. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise!
Lisa H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 01:24 AM   #34

Depends on the gator and how it was cooked! But that itty bitty thing was hardly a sandwich...