New news from Parkliner - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-12-2017, 09:47 PM   #1
Sid

Name: Sid
Trailer: Parkliner 2014
Wisconsin
New news from Parkliner

Just saw this on Parkliners website.
GFM Industries and Little Guy Worldwide Announce Strategic Partnership, Combining Two Robust Resources for Recreational Vehicles – ParkLiner
Sid
Sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 10:09 PM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Sounds like they are going "Mainstream".
Heck, now you may be able to negotiate a discount, you may pay more but you'll feel better!
Nice product! Watch out world!
floyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 10:17 PM   #3

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
It will be interesting to see what the new pricing will be since Parkliner will be selling through distributors instead of selling direct to customers.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 10:37 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Say goodbye to ParkLiner.
Old 01-12-2017, 10:46 PM   #5

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
"No more 6 month waits"... I don't get this. If the wait time is currently 6 months, what will it be like when they have double, triple, or more buyers due to the dealer network? How can they ever hope to build up stock on the dealership lots? Time will tell.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 10:51 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Don't forget maintaining quality. They couldn't do it, even recently, according to reports. Must be a lot of money behind the new owners to fill dealer lots and allow for dealer profit.
Old 01-13-2017, 04:18 AM   #7
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Last summer they raised their price to $20k with stove, fridge, etc. optional. That's more than a 16' Scamp, a 17' Casita, or a 17' Escape, all with standard packages including those items. Now add dealer mark up, delivery, and an increase in factory price to include payment to the dealer to fix all those little things the factory missed. $25k? $30k? And with options chosen by someone other than the buyer.

TrlliumRV did the same thing. It didn't last long. I wish them luck. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 08:09 AM   #8

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I was glad to see this especially if it means that Parkliner will survive and I think it may. Little Guy has a great reputation. It would be nice to be able to see a fiberglass molded trailer at a dealership. Little Guy also recently bought "Scotty" and is producing a line themselves on that one. Small TTs are becoming extremely popular and many people are doing their research and learning that a $10,000 stickie will not hold up very darn long! With financing now allowed for more years than it used to be, people are able to afford more and with a molded trailer, they can actually pay it off before it wears out.
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 08:31 AM   #9

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Indeed, those are the advantages of the dealership model. Disadvantages include extra layers of costs- dealer real estate, personnel, inventory, and marketing- that will now be reflected in the price. There may be discounts, but you can be sure the MSRP will be high enough to allow for that. Another is that buyers will no longer be able to customize. Take it or leave it.

I predict a MSRP for a typically-optioned Parkliner in the $25-30K range. Then get ready for all the dealer add-on charges… ship it, prep this, doc that… Oh, and we'll give you a $2000 discount (for that last one on the lot that had been sitting outside for 6 months)… Only $159 a month (for the rest of your life)!

I certainly hope at the end of the day, we'll be able to say, "a good time was had by all." But I'm skeptical. I have seen what has happened to other good products when they followed the crowd.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 09:22 AM   #10

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
The price will definitely be higher to cover dealer costs.

I would bet dealers would get customers through that have not been aware of the moulded fibreglass trailer industry, and seeing one for the first time might really like the idea.

For those in the know and wanted only a moulded fibreglass trailer, would likely shop around and see they are too pricey.

Will they still sell factory direct? I would think not, as it would create a conflict with those reselling.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 09:26 AM   #11

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Will they still sell factory direct? I would think not, as it would create a conflict with those reselling.
From the release: "While we no longer will sell factory direct to customers"
GregandTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 09:44 AM   #12

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregandTeresa View Post
From the release: "While we no longer will sell factory direct to customers"
Missed that, thanks. I bet it will be a bit if a tough to fit them.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 01-13-2017, 09:53 AM   #13

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
Sorry to hear this. I recently became somewhat interested in the Parkliner for consideration down the road if I decided to go full time. Interested enough, in fact, that I was planning to stop by the factory on my way to FL next month to see one in person. Seems they will be a dealer item by the time I'm actually in the market for a new trailer and I don't see how they could possible be in a reasonable price range with added dealer costs.

Will keep my eye on what happens, but looks less likely to be an option for me now.
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 09:59 AM   #14

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
The dealership model and the direct to customer both have their advantages and disadvantages . Buying direct seems to be used mostly by small mom and pop businesses . I thought the Parkliner was overpriced before they went to selling through dealers and Parkliner has now made the matter worse.
$ 30K for a basically / minimally equipped , 15 ft trailer is a recipe for failure .
It may be cute but it ain't $30 K cute.
There is a used Oliver for sale on one of the forums for $65,000 !!
The days of reasonably priced fiberglass trailers that young families or senior citizen can afford are going fast .
I can see the day where if you want a trailer , it will be a stick built because FG trailers have priced themselves right into bankruptcy .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 10:06 AM   #15

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Who is "Little Guy"? Looks like we got in just in time before the price increase.
wc
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 10:06 AM   #16

Name: Van
Trailer: currently shopping
Texas
Wouldn't parkliner be the first fiberglass RV sold via dealer? That is a niche that would have been filled someday imo. Although prices will go up, if they pull this off there will be a non-stick option in a place that it never existed. I do maintain that fiberglass concept has some advantages and the Parkliner design is pretty nice.
vanjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 10:12 AM   #17

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
...The days of reasonably priced fiberglass trailers that young families or senior citizen can afford are going fast...
A no-option Scamp 13 with icebox, stove, and beds for four is $10K. The option package adds a 3-way fridge, screen door, and a few more goodies for less than $1K. Reasonable price, no dealers, a very modest deposit, outstanding durability and resale value: it's the perfect molded fiberglass trailer for a young family!

I will not despair of the direct-sale model until Scamp does.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 10:19 AM   #18

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanjr View Post
Wouldn't parkliner be the first fiberglass RV sold via dealer? That is a niche that would have been filled someday imo. Although prices will go up, if they pull this off there will be a non-stick option in a place that it never existed. I do maintain that fiberglass concept has some advantages and the Parkliner design is pretty nice.
Bigfoot is another dealer sold trailer.
Old 01-13-2017, 10:19 AM   #19

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanjr View Post
No not the first. Bigfoot does it, Escape did it at one time and so did Trillium along with Little Joe/Ponderosa. There's probably others that I can't remember right of the top of my coffee-lacking brain.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 10:24 AM   #20

Name: Ray
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Missouri
Just FYI -
A Scamp16 Deluxe, with the "options package", is about the same price as the base model Parkliner.

Ray

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
rdickens is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
parkliner