New option for AC???? - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-02-2013, 09:59 PM   #1

Name: Cricket
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 13'
Minnesota
New option for AC????

Has anyone ever heard of these? Any reason why they might not work? I imagine setting one outside the scamp and pumping the cold air in... Of course, I would have a shelter of some sort for it in case of rain, but seems semi-viable....unless I am missing something.....

Tripp Lite 120V, Self-Contained Portable Air Conditioning Unit (SRCOOL12K)

Old 08-02-2013, 10:06 PM   #2

Name: Linda
Trailer: '77 Scamp
California
Registry
Not in my Scamp but had a similar one for my daughters office. They do an ok job but are big and heavy and I would rather use a very small portable AC.

Old 08-02-2013, 10:12 PM   #3

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Two Minor Points:
1. They have to be placed inside the trailer as they recirculate & cool the room air, otherwise they will be cooling hot outside air. And you have to devise a way to exhaust the hot air they generate though a widow or another hole in the trailer. Very clumsy and will get in the way inside a small FGRV

2. And, why bother. The prices shown were at or even above the price of an RV roof top a/c unit.....
Old 08-03-2013, 12:24 AM   #4

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
On my first "real" sailboat, it was a watkins 27 and I was staying on it on the weekends, well was a 90' at night kinda weekend, so I picked up a 12k btu portable unit, ran all day and couldnt get it under 80 and it was still a bit humid. Took it back and picked up a 5k window style ac unit and a tarp and duct tape...in an hour my boat was nice and cool with the back of the ac unit sticking out the hatch above my birth up front. It did the job, the portable one, well not so much.

imho

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 03:45 PM   #5

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Two Minor Points:
1. They have to be placed inside the trailer as they recirculate & cool the room air, otherwise they will be cooling hot outside air. And you have to devise a way to exhaust the hot air they generate though a widow or another hole in the trailer....
Not in this case. According to the manual, this particular unit is a single-hose design, and that hose can be the cool air output (sitting outside and duct cooled air into the trailer as Cricket proposed), or the hot air exhaust (sitting inside and duct hot exhaust outside, as Bob assumes).

Any single-hose unit has a problem:
  • in the cool-air-output mode, it has to cool hot outside air all the way down to the desired output temperature
  • in the hot-air-exhaust mode, it sucks hot outside air into the trailer to make up for what it exhausts

Didn't we very recently go through this topic?
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 09:36 PM   #6

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Didn't we very recently go through this topic?
Venting portable AC into RV

... plus, of course, do a Google search within this forum for "air conditioner" or "pet cool" (a commonly discussed externally mounted A/C) to find more.

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote