New Pendelton Airstream - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-09-2016, 07:08 PM   #1

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Exclamation New Pendelton Airstream

Have you seen the new limited edition Airstream trailer that was designed with Pendelton to give homage to the National Parks? https://www.airstream.com/pendleton/ It is a beauty. Of course, I was taking notes on the special interior decor featuring everything Pendelton!

P.S. Yes, I realize this is the FGRV forum, but really folks aren't our trailers Airstream "wanna-bes"?
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 07:26 PM   #2

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
No, not really! IMO, that is. If they were Airstream wannabees, they'd at least be painted silver.

The rear 'sport hatch' looks sweet, though. Hmm, reminds me of the Happier Camper!
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 08:45 PM   #3

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
...starting at $114,600

I could afford it, but I don't need it...
Old 03-10-2016, 12:35 AM   #4

Name: J
Trailer: Scamp
North Carolina
Airstream wannabes? I hope not. Not a fan of airstreams but I am very fond of my fiberglass trailer.
JBjunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 01:28 AM   #5

Name: Bex
Trailer: Casita
California
Oh, I love that interior design. I would never own a 28' anything but the design features are wonderful.
rebeccasf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 04:12 AM   #6
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Rustic. Reminds me a little of a Cabellas catalog. Not for me but fun to look at. Thanks for posting. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 06:49 AM   #7

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilda View Post
P.S. Yes, I realize this is the FGRV forum, but really folks aren't our trailers Airstream "wanna-bes"?
Not me, not ever! The only thing I like about the Airstreams are the interior layouts. But, any all-molded-towable could have the same interiors if they were as big and wide and heavy and expensive.

I have zero desire to tow a shiny beer can.

Obviously YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 08:47 AM   #8

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
I downloaded those images for future reference for our Silver Cloud which we get in another month. I am partway there, as I bought blankets for the beds that feature a Native American theme.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 09:36 AM   #9

Trailer: Bigfoot 21.5 ft (25B21RB)
Gilda, I am with you on thinking that fiberglass egg trailers have inherited their distinctive shape from Airstream. That classic aerodynamic look is a huge part of what makes them so pleasing to the eye. After owning a Scamp and a Casita, my more squarish Bigfoot is not nearly as visually attractive to me. Escapes have also moved away from the egg look to create better interior space, at the expense of visual appeal.

Thanks for sharing the post. Those are some great interior design ideas.

I love the shiny aluminum look of Airstreams, but the practicality is a problem. Hailstones and flying rocks bounce off fiberglass with far less consequence. I was with a friend yesterday who was calling his insurance agent about a Casita he just bought. The agent asked if the exterior was aluminum. Apparently the rate was going to be affected by the answer to that.

I think people buy Airstreams for the same reasons as buying classic cars. It's a fashion statement. Nothing wrong with that.
David and Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 10:03 AM   #10

Trailer: Escape
I think my Escape is every bit good looking as other eggs. Keeping my egg, a good looking airstream doesn't make me want to change!
Grant Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 10:22 AM   #11

Trailer: 82 Burro
Beautiful trailer. NOTHING screams quality like an Airstream. I'm not appreciating the open hatchback, however.
Shirley LaMoine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 10:24 AM   #12

Name: Philip
Trailer: Escape 13 /Hyundai Santa Fe
British Columbia
Registry
Fibreglass trailers got their design from a septic tank, not the Airstream
Old 03-10-2016, 10:39 AM   #13

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Never thought I'd suggest gutting a trailer, but that Airstream is not to my taste at all.
Old 03-10-2016, 10:59 AM   #14

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Never thought I'd suggest gutting a trailer, but that Airstream is not to my taste at all.
X2. I've seen some beautiful Airstreams, but I don't like this one.

And having seen my brother's Airstream up close, the "superior quality" of Airstream isn't that much "superior", I can tell you that.

I think the european trailers are a full notch above anything made on this side of the big pond. Better built and cheaper too. Look at the latest Eriba models, they are just breathtaking.
https://www.eriba.com/en/models/cara...ving-area.html
Carl V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 11:17 AM   #15

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Not me, not ever! The only thing I like about the Airstreams are the interior layouts. But, any all-molded-towable could have the same interiors if they were as big and wide and heavy and expensive.

I have zero desire to tow a shiny beer can.

Obviously YMMV
Having owned "shiny beer cans" for twenty years ('53 Flying Cloud 21', '61 Bambi '16, '70 Safari 23 SE, '57 Overlander 27', '85 325 motorhome, and a '94 Limited 34' two-door tri-axle) I can say with some certainty that even if I had the cash to spend, I'd not be willing to spend $114k on a coach that leaks, has plumbing issues, and has filiform corrosion issues. I continue to camp with the Airforums group at the Midwest Rally, and I enjoy their trailers immensely, but I also listen carefully to their complaints of quality control issues. I couldn't imaging spending that kind of money and having the QC problems that they report.

I'll stick to fiberglass, thanks.
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 11:45 AM   #16

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger H View Post
Having owned "shiny beer cans" for twenty years ('53 Flying Cloud 21', '61 Bambi '16, '70 Safari 23 SE, '57 Overlander 27', '85 325 motorhome, and a '94 Limited 34' two-door tri-axle) I can say with some certainty that even if I had the cash to spend, I'd not be willing to spend $114k on a coach that leaks, has plumbing issues, and has filiform corrosion issues. I continue to camp with the Airforums group at the Midwest Rally, and I enjoy their trailers immensely, but I also listen carefully to their complaints of quality control issues. I couldn't imaging spending that kind of money and having the QC problems that they report.

I'll stick to fiberglass, thanks.
I'm with Roger. I spent years on the airstream forums, and was sure I would own one someday. But the more I read about leaks and the lack of quality for the money, I'm glad I found the fiberglass forums that ultimately led me to buy an Escape.
GregandTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 11:56 AM   #17

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Much though I like the looks of the leather seats in that Pendleton, I am not sure I would not like to sit on them in shorts . I would think they would get hot and that you might leave a bit of skin when you got up.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 12:08 PM   #18

Name: Pat
Trailer: Escape 2013 19 ft
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl V View Post
X2. I've seen some beautiful Airstreams, but I don't like this one.

And having seen my brother's Airstream up close, the "superior quality" of Airstream isn't that much "superior", I can tell you that.

I think the european trailers are a full notch above anything made on this side of the big pond. Better built and cheaper too. Look at the latest Eriba models, they are just breathtaking.
https://www.eriba.com/en/models/cara...ving-area.html
Those are sure really nice trailers . How come in trailers and I have seen a camper made in Europe ,beds and sitting are really comfortable . Storage is well thought out . The heating system in the floor and other new technology is used . There is only one trailer that I have seen the "Oliver " that is high end , but still I would definely want this one . If only ...... Thanks for sharing . Pat
LindaandPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 04:05 PM   #19

California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by David and Nancy View Post
Gilda, I am with you on thinking that fiberglass egg trailers have inherited their distinctive shape from Airstream. That classic aerodynamic look is a huge part of what makes them so pleasing to the eye. After owning a Scamp and a Casita, my more squarish Bigfoot is not nearly as visually attractive to me. Escapes have also moved away from the egg look to create better interior space, at the expense of visual appeal.

Thanks for sharing the post. Those are some great interior design ideas.

I love the shiny aluminum look of Airstreams, but the practicality is a problem. Hailstones and flying rocks bounce off fiberglass with far less consequence. I was with a friend yesterday who was calling his insurance agent about a Casita he just bought. The agent asked if the exterior was aluminum. Apparently the rate was going to be affected by the answer to that.

I think people buy Airstreams for the same reasons as buying classic cars. It's a fashion statement. Nothing wrong with that.
Nancy and David have, most succinctly, expressed my views, by using the term "Airstream Wannabee", on the FGRVs. I think I was attracted to the Scamp partially because of the aesthetics of the shape as well as the retro feel. Now that I have a 13' Scamp, I will never go to anything but a fiberglass RV. I am in LOVE.

As you may know, I love to vary the interior decor on a whim and have at least 5 different decors including my Autumn and Southwest themes, attached photos. I like the Airstream Pendelton theme as well.

This is my first "thread" that has received so many impassioned comments! Keep your comments coming.

BTW here is a video on the Pendelton. Video from Danny Villanueva - Airstream Adventures Northwest - Bay Area
Old 03-10-2016, 04:11 PM   #20

California
Registry
Here are my photos of the Southwest and Autumn/Route 66 themes!
Attached Thumbnails
Lindsey's Bridal Shower Aug. 2015 & SCAMP 029.jpg   Doug's art and Scamp 026.jpg  

Doug's art and Scamp 029.jpg   Doug's art and Scamp 031.jpg