New Propane Firepit--yippppeeee!!!!! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2013, 07:42 PM   #1

Name: Linda
Trailer: '77 Scamp
California
Registry
New Propane Firepit--yippppeeee!!!!!

I bought a portable firepit with grill rack today at Costco. I saw them online, but didn't think it looked all that impressive on the website. But it looked like a very nice unit when I saw it today in the store. They're $99 right now and it has a carry case to keep it everything together. Haven't tried it yet though. We're doing most of our camping these days in California and NV. And with the issues of wildfires the last few years, I've decided that propane made good sense. It has very good reviews on their website. So if anyone is in the market for a firepit, check this one out.
Camp Chef Portable Propane Fire Pit
Otters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 07:57 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I was just cruizin' Facebook and a large group was camping last weekend... it rained. They had a Camp Chef Portable Propane Fire Pit set up under a large canopy. You can't do that with a woodburning fire pit, the smoke would drive you out.

Hope you really enjoy it Linda Looks like quite the ticket!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 08:19 PM   #3

California
Registry
Thanks Donna. You're right and I won't miss the smoke in my hair and eyes. Report will follow after I've used it.
Old 05-24-2013, 08:26 PM   #4
Commercial Member

Name: Kevin
Trailer: 1995 Scamp 13
Pennsylvania
Registry
Looks neat! Didn't see anything in the reviews about noise, so it must not be that loud. How heavy is it with the rocks?
KevinPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 08:37 PM   #5

California
Registry
It's not light. 33 pounds. But when I bring firewood, I'm sure I'm lugging at least that. The model at Costco also includes BBQ equipment, so I won't need my grill, charcoal, and chimney charcoal starter. I think I'd probably stick with wood and charcoal if it wasn't for the fire risks these days. A lot of parks won't even allow fires at all right now out here on the left coast.
Old 05-24-2013, 09:03 PM   #6

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Linda I have a small Fire Dancer Fire propane fire pit that I love! We often have open fire bans here in BC. I have a 5 pound propane tank that I use with it. Love it on rainy nights as Donna says it can go under awnings or pop ups with walls to keep warm. A number of people I camp with has the larger one from Costco and like them a lot.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 11:00 PM   #7

Name: Jasper
Trailer: Shopping
British Columbia
As I write this the kids are in the backyard roasting marshmallows on the Camp Chef fire pit we purchased at Costco a few weeks ago. It works great, quite abit of heat and no smoke complaints from the neighbors. Easy to pack up for camping. Love it.
Jasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 11:25 PM   #8

California
Registry
Jasper, good to hear that you like it and its working great. I can't wait to give it a try now.
Old 05-25-2013, 02:53 AM   #9

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I was just cruizin' Facebook and a large group was camping last weekend... it rained. They had a Camp Chef Portable Propane Fire Pit set up under a large canopy. You can't do that with a woodburning fire pit, the smoke would drive you out.
Hundreds of times we have set up tarps over fire pits. Lots of these times it has been with large blue tarps having a ridge over the fire. If it is high enough (10' center and 5' at the eaves approximately) and the fire burning hot and clean, the smoke has never been a problem. At times we have even had to double up with two large tarps to accommodate up to 20 people. Heck, the Indians did it in teepees.

That said, I have been around a profane fire pit a couple times where it did add a bit of a focal point.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 06:10 AM   #10

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Hundreds of times we have set up tarps over fire pits. Lots of these times it has been with large blue tarps having a ridge over the fire. If it is high enough (10' center and 5' at the eaves approximately) and the fire burning hot and clean, the smoke has never been a problem. At times we have even had to double up with two large tarps to accommodate up to 20 people. Heck, the Indians did it in teepees.

That said, I have been around a profane fire pit a couple times where it did add a bit of a focal point.
You must have done something different than what I experienced. We tried ONCE and the smoke drove us out. I think my eyes are still burning . Not something I care to experience again... But, I would use a non-smoking propane fireplace. With as much rain as we get in the Pacific NorthWET I think it looks like quite the ticket!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 06:34 AM   #11

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Okay, that really is a typo caused from using SWYPE typing on my phone in the middle of the night. I did not notice until reading Donna's reply, but sure got a good chuckle.

I really did mean propane fire pit.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane