New Ranger / Scamp 19 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-25-2019, 07:25 AM   #1

Name: Don
Trailer: Shopping
Alabama
New Ranger / Scamp 19

Anybody put a 5th wheel hitch in the new ranger? The tow capacity and power seem like plenty to handle a 5th wheel.
dcs02d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 10:14 AM   #2
GOB

Name: Michael
Trailer: Scamp 19
Missouri
New Ranger

The new Ranger should do fine, I've been looking at them. My current TV is a 1996 Ranger with the 3.0 and it does fine with half the HP and torque of the new Ranger.
GOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 12:26 PM   #3

Name: Lee
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Registry
I saw one of those new Rangers the other day and from the back it almost looked like a full size pickup except that it was narrower. Very impressive looking.
Old 03-25-2019, 05:37 PM   #4

Name: Dick
Trailer: '15 17' LD Casita and '17 Tahoe LT
Texas
Regardless of the hp and torque numbers, it is still a 4 banger. All of the Detroit Big 3 do not have a good track record with 4 cylinders. Toyota and other foreign makers seem to last much better. I'm more than willing to pay a little more for fuel in a larger V6 or V8 with more grunt. Just my $.02. and it's not even worth the copper it's stamped from... lol
dmad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 08:10 PM   #5

Name: Ace
Trailer: 16' Casita 13' Scamp and Teardrop
Chicagoland
New Ranger

I think the Club Cab only has a 5 ft. bed. That may be a problem with a 5th wheel? I read they will have a towing rating of over 7k. Dependability is another thing to consider with getting a new line of vehicle.
aceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 08:30 PM   #6

Name: Justus
Trailer: Currently Shopping
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceman View Post
I think the Club Cab only has a 5 ft. bed. That may be a problem with a 5th wheel? I read they will have a towing rating of over 7k. Dependability is another thing to consider with getting a new line of vehicle.
There is a product called Sidewinder that replaces the trailer king pin to allow towing with a short bed. However, it's $1,000 and pretty restricted when it comes to the hitches it can be used with.
Old 03-25-2019, 08:39 PM   #7

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmad1 View Post
Regardless of the hp and torque numbers, it is still a 4 banger. All of the Detroit Big 3 do not have a good track record with 4 cylinders. Toyota and other foreign makers seem to last much better. I'm more than willing to pay a little more for fuel in a larger V6 or V8 with more grunt. Just my $.02. and it's not even worth the copper it's stamped from... lol
PSHAW!! Copper plated zinc even.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 08:52 PM   #8

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceman View Post
Its "SuperCab" and "SuperCrew" they sound too much alike so I call them ..."Coupe" and Sedan".
Mine's a Coupe!
Old 03-26-2019, 08:38 AM   #9

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
What's up with the bed height on the new domestic trucks? I parked my 2012 Tacoma (4WD, double cab, w/TRD Offroad pkg) next to a new Ranger yesterday (very nice looking truck by the way). The distance from the ground to the top of the tailgate on the Ford was at least 6" higher than that of my Toyota. A few months back, I test drove a Chevy Colorado and noticed roughly the same thing.

I grew up with farm trucks. The bed was always half full of lubricants, chains, tools etc. and, worst case, you had to walk from one side to the other to retrieve something. I'm 6'4" and would be hard pressed to reach anything in the middle of the bed of a new Ranger or Colorado. And at 70, I'm not sure I could lift a full five gallon fuel can in or out over the side. I guess this is why we're seeing multiple iterations of step assists to help climb up into the bed from the various mfrs.

Rant off but I'll have to add a lift kit to the Scamp before I could consider a new Ford or Chevy.
Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 09:50 AM   #10

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al and Cindy K View Post
What's up with the bed height on the new domestic trucks? I parked my 2012 Tacoma (4WD, double cab, w/TRD Offroad pkg) next to a new Ranger yesterday (very nice looking truck by the way). The distance from the ground to the top of the tailgate on the Ford was at least 6" higher than that of my Toyota. A few months back, I test drove a Chevy Colorado and noticed roughly the same thing.
Its a marketing thing, and all the domestic manufacturers jumped in line to raise their beds. I went from a 2002 F150 to a 2010 F150 and the sides of the bed were much higher. I ended up getting side steps. I would not doubt that the 2019 models are higher still. Idiotic IMHO.

It may "look" cool, but functionally, its a PITA.
Old 03-26-2019, 05:30 PM   #11

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
...Idiotic IMHO.

Completely agree. Next year they will discover this fact and the year after the "mid" size truck beds will be 5 inches lower.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 08:54 AM   #12

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I doubt it myself. Truck beds have been trending this direction for quite a while, and sales have certainly not suffered. Style wins over utility when it comes to sales.

For utility over style, look to the Ridgeline, but not for a 5er (unless you are willing to tackle an unsanctioned, custom hitch, as one or two have done). Frontier has a decent bedrail height, but it’s a bit behind the others in technology and safety. Good value proposition.

Both would work best with the standard Scamp suspension, making for a lower overall towing profile and fewer steps to climb in.

The Ranger likely requires the optional 3” lift, but measure and/or contact Scamp to be sure. We’ll look forward to hearing your towing report if you decide to go with the Ranger.

I believe I read the “new” Ranger is already coming up on a design refresh, as it’s been out for a number of years in other markets. That affects resale, but it can also make for some good deals once the update hits showrooms.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 12:25 PM   #13

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
Its a marketing thing, and all the domestic manufacturers jumped in line to raise their beds. I went from a 2002 F150 to a 2010 F150 and the sides of the bed were much higher. I ended up getting side steps. I would not doubt that the 2019 models are higher still. Idiotic IMHO.

Yea. The problem with today's pickup trucks is they're designed to be style statements not tools intended to get a job done. The high sides and aggressive ground clearances make getting to a toolbox behind the cab nearly impossible and racking project supplies in and out of the bed more work. They're not work trucks, they're fashion accessories.
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 01:57 PM   #14

Name: Bob N Judy
Trailer: Escape 5.0TA
Texas
You should have zero problem towing a Scamp with a short bed Ranger. Towed our 19 thousands of miles with a short bed 2nd gen Canyon gas short bed that was a 5 speed and much less torque. The 19 weighs in a about 3300#, is only 6' wide, and maybe 9' high.
The consideration is that Scamp doesn't mount the hitch rails down to the frame. They bolt them through to the bed and they are set a bit closer to the tailgate so there's adequate walk around room when it's down. The "pin" weight on the ball is less than 500# so it's not an issue that its not over the axle. The tongue weight further back is much higher than that so the squat will be minimal.
We ordered our Scamp with 3" lift, 2 step entry, 15" wheels to solve bed height issue.
I just got a new Canyon diesel to tow our Escape 5.0TA but that camper is much taller, wider, and heavier than the Scamp. Happy camping.
bobnjudy78748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 10:36 PM   #15

Registry
The new Ranger is 54" from the ground to the top of the box rail.(at the tailgate)
33" from the ground to the box floor.
Old 04-01-2019, 10:43 PM   #16

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Its "SuperCab" and "SuperCrew" they sound too much alike so I call them ..."Coupe" and Sedan".
Mine's a Coupe!
Floyd,

Did you post any pictures of your new Ranger? I'd like to see it.
Old 04-02-2019, 08:54 AM   #17

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspy View Post
Floyd,

Did you post any pictures of your new Ranger? I'd like to see it.
They haven't built it yet, (a bit aggravating) but here are some pics of one nearly identical...
Attached Thumbnails
supersaber5.jpg   supersaber4.jpg  

supersaber6.jpg  
Old 04-02-2019, 11:31 AM   #18

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Sweet. I like that cab style.
Old 04-02-2019, 12:18 PM   #19

Name: James
Trailer: In the MARKET!!
California
Personally I would wait atleast a year for Ford to work out all the bugs with the "new" Ranger. First year models of redesigned or new generation of vehicle usually have alot of small problems.
JAsanchez2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 12:51 PM   #20

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAsanchez2014 View Post
Personally I would wait atleast a year for Ford to work out all the bugs with the "new" Ranger. First year models of redesigned or new generation of vehicle usually have a lot of small problems.
Thank you SO much! I appreciate your decision, since, as it is, I have to wait more than four months to get mine. You might have made it even longer.

The only possible concern for me would be more content choices like Limited Slip, or a color choice like RaceRed.

I can tell you haven't been buying Fords.
I will admit that the 1950 Ford had several small improvements over the '49!... like better door handle/latches and better initial alignment, but I wasn't buying at the time.

Tags
scamp