New Rockwood A122 maiden voyage - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-08-2012, 05:30 PM   #1

Name: Laura
Trailer: Winnebago
Iowa
New Rockwood A122 maiden voyage

Took our new Rockwood A frame out this weekend for the first time. My husband says we picked a winner on this trailer. After having gone through 10 campers in 16 years of camping, we really hope this one works out for us. We had so much wanted a molded fiberglass, we realized at this time we could not afford it. So we traded in our big 5th wheel for the A frame, it is fiberglass so we are part way there. Loved having a mattress to sleep on. We will enjoy this camper very much.
Laura June is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 07:28 PM   #2

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
I bet you'll have a little better fuel economy with the Rockwood than you would with an egg. What's your take on the build quality? I've heard good things about them, and it sounds like they beat Chalet and Aliner on price and features.
Mike Magee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 08:17 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Laura, good for you! We know there are various reasons folks don't own an egg. Frankly, I think it's more important to "love the one you're with." Enjoy the camping, that's what part of life is about...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 08:29 PM   #4

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Rockwood A122

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura June View Post
Took our new Rockwood A frame out this weekend for the first time.
I got curious, so I Google it and found:
Rockwood A122 - YouTube
Old 04-09-2012, 08:02 AM   #5

Iowa
Mike: Compared to the Aliner we had previously, we found the Rockwood A frame to be far better built. Towing is much better than a taller trailer. We do not even need sway bars.
We dropped a couple miles per gallon on our Jeep Grand Cherokee, which we expected, as the trailer weighs nearly 2000 lbs. when loaded. Set up is easy, took us about 10 minutes to unhook, put down the 4 jacks, pop the top, and set stuff back up on the counter. (The 5th wheel took us about a half hour.) The mattress slept great. The only thing we didn't like was not having a window over the table like the Aliner had. We paid around $12,000 for the Aliner sport 4 years ago. We paid 12,000 for the 2012 Rockwood, which is bigger and better built, so all around it was a better deal . We also got money back from the dealer when we traded in the 5th wheel. We sold the Aliner outright last fall, when we knew we wanted something bigger than the Aliner and smaller than the 5th wheel. We think we will be very happy with our new trailer. Can't wait to take it out on a trip.
Old 04-09-2012, 02:20 PM   #6

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
good for you. my wife and i looked at the a122 about a year before we decided on what we wanted. i think it makes a wonderfull place to lay your head after a pleasant day.
wish you lots of adventures,,and hope we someday park next to each other in a perfect spot, with a perfect sunset ,over a perfect lake.
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 09:50 PM   #7

Name: Hazel
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
What sort of storage space do you get in these trailers? I'm thinking - no overhead cupboards or clothes closet, right? So, do you keep all your gear in your tow vehicle? Not that there would be a problem with that - I'm just wondering with my fingers!
Hazel in Sk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 06:25 AM   #8

Iowa
Hi Hazel: We take only what is absolutely necessary. Cooking items fit in a cupboard below the sink. Towels fit in a cupboard below the microwave. Food goes in two plastic drawers on top of the microwave cabinet, which set on the floor when traveling. We place a small TV on top the drawers, which works really good. Dishes go in a tote that sets on the table, which is very handy. Lanterns are in a bucket on the floor under the dinette, bucket doubles as grey water catcher as there is no grey water tank. Porta potty also sets under the dinette with a cover over it, it doubles for a foot stool. Our clothes are all folded and they go in the bench seat by the door in wire hampers, we also keep our bathroom items here. There is a long storage tray behind the cool cat that pulls out from the outside. We keep all our set up items like hose, blocks, and wheel chocks in it. Under the bed which raises up, or is accessible from the other side is a large storage area where we keep the outdoor grill, lawn chairs and other odds and ends. We do keep a few items in the car like our first up canopy, and fire wood. We get by very well this way. I found that we were taking a lot of unnecessary item in our bigger trailers, and did a lot of sorting and resorting before I put things into the smaller trailer. Having owned a smaller A liner previously really helped me to know what to put in this trailer. Actually this trailer has more storage than the Aliner did, as the dinette made into a bed, and we did not have the under bed storage, plus I had to find a place for sleeping bags and pillows. I guess the main thing is learning to downsize, which I am trying to do in my home also. I think the older I get the less stuff I want to have to take care of. When traveling, anything that sets on the counters or table has to be put on the floor, also don't forget to lock the refrigerator, and the top vent.
Old 04-10-2012, 06:35 AM   #9

Michigan
like any trailer really. there is never enough stowage.
but.... when you start learning what you won't miss if you don't take it with you.....it can be very enlightening, and can free the spirit a bit.

we learned this in our tear drop camper. a couple pairs of jeans, a sweatshirt and some tee shirts and you can be just as happy drinking that first cup o joe in the morning as if you had on a tux or a prom dress.

plus now i don't take the prom dress,,,,i don't have to shave my legs ,,
Old 04-10-2012, 11:27 AM   #10

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
John, we're starting to get a new picture of you...
Mike Magee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 11:42 AM   #11

Michigan
lol,,, i thought i burned all those pictures...
Old 04-10-2012, 04:23 PM   #12

Trailer: Casita
That sure looks like a nice trailer. We had a Chalet back in the '90s (before fiberglass) and the Rockwood brings back a lot of memories. The A-frame was a great weekend camper for us. Have fun with it.

Marv
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 05:38 PM   #13

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
Laura, where are the pix??
Old 04-10-2012, 08:04 PM   #14

Iowa
pictures will come next trip

Melisa: I have a few things I want to straighten out yet, and then I can take pictures on the next trip.
Laura
Old 04-10-2012, 09:01 PM   #15

Name: Hazel
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
Thanks for filling in some details Laura June. We tend to be fairly 'basic' campers but some 'stuff' is inevitable. Actually we keep our 'kitchen gear' in the Element because we cook and eat outside. We do seem to need space for books and cameras though! I think we'll likely check around to see if we can view one of the A 122 campers.

The trailer we have right now has some 'top cupboards' - which is where we keep the 1st aid kit, personal cleanliness items, books, flashlights etc.

Neither of us would feel well equipped without a raincoat and rubber boots - so we'd need to shove them in somewhere. Ball gowns aren't high on the packing lists we we use! Rather a good thing as neither of us own such an garment.
Hazel in Sk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 05:07 AM   #16

Iowa
Hazel: hope you find your perfect camper
Laura
Old 04-11-2012, 05:31 AM   #17

Trailer: Teardrop American Outbacker
Utah
Mike and I looked at a Rockwood A Frame here in SLC, but it was too expensive for us right now. The teardrop was only $1500 and I could pull it with my Prius, so it won out in the end.

Love to see some photos of your trailer out in the wild, Laura.