NEW SCAMP HORROR STORY - PART i - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Closed Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 04:35 PM   #15

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
It is hard to imagine the A/C being so crooked as to hamper operation. I understand you are rightfully steamed up about the whole thing. The whole plumbing thing is inexcusable. But my feeling is that the roof issue probably doesn't affect function much if at all, and is more of a cosmetic issue... one that could affect resale value no doubt, but not structural integrity or A/C function. A trailer can probably be more unlevel just from how it's parked and still not keep the A/C from cooling decently, I think (but I could be wrong).

Not having the plumbing installed is just way-over-the-top sloppy and ridiculous, though. If I owned the company I'd fire some lazy butts for that.

How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Old 08-18-2011, 04:48 PM   #16

Name: Dennis
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 16 SD
Tennessee
At this point the AC unit is not the issue. The issue is paying over $14,000 for a unit with a sloping roof. I could care less about the AC. AC units can be repaired if need be. I want a solution to my roof problem.

Old 08-18-2011, 05:12 PM   #17

Name: E. Keith
Trailer: None at the moment :-(
Colorado
Dennis, this is from one who is a bit "long in the tooth" in situations like this. I know you don't want to do it, but if I were you, I'd figure out SOMEWAY to drag that POS right back up there to the factory ASAP and either get your money back and walk away, or get another new one that is CORRECT and you will feel good about. Again, from my experience, I would suspect you are never going to have warm fuzzies about that POS unit and the SCAMP company. And, you bet....tons of folks are watching what they do.

Said with love, my man,

EKW
Old 08-18-2011, 05:51 PM   #18

Name: melissa
Trailer: 2012 Scamp 13 DLX
Florida
I agree you should be given a new unit. You paid for a new, perfect unit and that is what you should have. Who knows what other inferior work may show up in the future if the obvious stuff wasnt even right. For what you paid I would not live with a sloping roof. Scamp should come to you with the exchange unit. Actually, I'd think they'd upgrade you to a Deluxe model for your trouble.
Old 08-18-2011, 05:53 PM   #19

Tennessee
You're right and it may come to that. Right now I am hoping that they will do the right thing. A lot of people are reading this and I hope no one else has to go through this. If I had one on order right now I would be doing some serious thinking.
Old 08-18-2011, 06:01 PM   #20

Name: Ken
Trailer: No Trailer Yet
US
Dave and Linda both reported the same AC tilt in the 16' roof mold from 2003. It might imply the past 8 years of production has the same AC tilt. Can any other 16 foot owners here let us know if you have the AC tilt or not?
Old 08-18-2011, 06:51 PM   #21

Tennessee
Ken C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken C View Post
Dave and Linda both reported the same AC tilt in the 16' roof mold from 2003. It might imply the past 8 years of production has the same AC tilt. Can any other 16 foot owners here let us know if you have the AC tilt or not?
In Jan 0f this year 2011, I purchased a used 2003 Side Dinette without AC. After reading several reports of AC roof problems in this model I called Scamp and spoke with Kent Eveland. I was considering installing a roof top AC unit and I wanted to know if he could trace the VIN number to determine if my unit had been prepped for AC at the factory. He told me that all the records from that model year had been destroyed in the plant fire. I then asked him if he was aware of the AC roof issue with side dinette models. He told me that he had heard of the problem with units having AC units installed without the roof prep. He was not aware of any problems with any trailers having the AC's installed at the Scamp plant.

When the production manager called me to go over my spec sheet I mentioned my concern about proper vertical roof support for the AC unit and I was assured that it would not be a problem.
Old 08-18-2011, 07:46 PM   #22

Name: John
Trailer: gave up!!
California
I am about to order a new 13 within the next month or two, and am dying to see the response to this... Let's face it - every company can produce a lemon now and again as long as a human has their hands in designing and producing any type of product - the real differences between companies is how they try to make things right...
Old 08-18-2011, 08:05 PM   #23

Name: James
Trailer: Uhaul CT-13
Ohio
Registry
I would demand that they deliver a new unit and pickup your unit. You should not be expected to travel hundreds of miles to replace a defective unit. If they do not agree, you may have to involve a lawyer and pursue/threaten legal action.
Old 08-18-2011, 08:12 PM   #24

Name: Ken
Trailer: No Trailer Yet
US
Your complaint is with your new 2011 not your old one right? I will assume so. You said you researched before you bought your 2011 and knew about the titled A/C before you bought it. It's a know way scamps are built, we both agree here for around 8 years. I don't see how scamp is in the wrong for something you already knew about before you bought it.

Another (separate from above) issue you mentioned is proper vertical roof support for the AC unit. In what way is your new 2011 trailer improperly vertically roof supported? Isn't it supported in the same way they have been building them for the past 8 years?

Now last, just to clarify for our members here, you have copy and pasted your complaint here and the Yahoo group before Scamp has even responded to your complaints. Thanks in advance for your feedback.
Old 08-18-2011, 08:57 PM   #25

Tennessee
1. Yes, the complaint is about my 2011 Front Sofa Model.
2. I assumed that this was the cause of the problems.
3. Yes, I belong to the Scampers forum as well as this one.
4. Yes, I posted my comments before they made a decision. I paid about $14,000 for that privilege.
Old 08-18-2011, 09:13 PM   #26

Name: Tim
Trailer: Class B for now
NY
That's really too bad this sort of thing had to happen. Sure hope they step up to the plate and make it right. I as others have said would probably drive it back to the factory also, just to get the ball moving quicker. I'm sure you don't want this to drag out. Anyway good luck with it.
Old 08-18-2011, 10:24 PM   #27

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
If the tilt problem is due to inadequate support for the A/C's weight, then that would indeed be a serious matter. I was envisioning it as just a slant to the roof from perhaps the shape of the mold.

I am pretty sure I would have turned around and headed back to MN after the first night, to get the plumbing I'd paid for.
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Old 08-18-2011, 10:39 PM   #28

Name: Andy
Trailer: 1979 Ventura 13'
Alberta
It's almost as if this unit got yanked from production because of these flaws but not removed from "stock" and then sold to you. I had this happen with a multi-stage roof top HVAC unit that cost about $100k and when we went to wire it noticed the control cabinet was empty and upon further inspection found other components missing. Manufacturer admitted it was their mistake and shipped another and paid us to scrap the bad one. It can happen anywhere to anyone it only takes one person having a bad day to ruin yours. Maybe some sort of compromise would be in your best interest like meeting them halfway to exchange units. These issues are what kills these types of companies and they should realize that a reasonable solution slightly tilted in your favor would serve them well.

Tags
scamp