New Scamp Pricing! New Standard Features (2019)! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2019, 11:02 PM   #1

Name: Chris
Trailer: Scamp
MN
New Scamp Pricing! New Standard Features (2019)!

Was up at the Scamp Factory in Backus today picking up some misc. parts, and chatted with a few of the salesman. Over the last few weeks Scamp implemented their yearly price increase, but also added a number of standard features (Please excuse if this has been posted already/also posted on the Scamp Forum). Here it is in a Nutshell. Price increase of $300-500 across the board on new orders (Depending on model & trim). NO MORE Rear Cabinet option, on the 13' anyway (still listed on the price sheet, was told option not actually available for order, take with Grain of Salt). Apparently too much confusion with adding the rear cabinet, fan, and AC/Prep, it's simply no longer an option. All Side Cabinets are Now Standard with Option Packages, Front Cabinet is Now Optional. Vinyl Floor is Now Standard on All Models. One 12V Plug is Now Standard on all models, and each additional is still $30. Receiver Hitch is Now Standard on all models. Gravel Shield & Silverware Drawer is Standard on all models with Option Packages. LED Lighting is now Standard on all models. Individual Options for each layout had a price increase of between $0-$100. Only option with a Price Decrease was the "Trailer Cover" (for 13"), now $150.

Production/Delivery times have actually decreased from what I have seen, November for most Standard models, February-March for Deluxes (Depending on layout), this was Scamps ETA times a month or two ago, so lengths are dwindling (I was even told August/September might even be possible, that's only a couple of months away). I believe it, and likely true....

I was looking over (with a fine tooth comb) the 20-30 trailers they had ready on the lot. All looked crisp and perfect. I was looking for misaligned screws, non flush snap caps, anything I could nit pick. Everything looks straight as an arrow. They are still putting out a great product. (I'm Critical)...

My opinion/few quick thoughts: Scamp is still making an excellent product, but prices are starting to creep into Defcon 2 levels. When you see billboards for 28' loaded (Coleman) travel trailers for $10,999 (AC, Awning, Convection Oven, LED TV's, USB Message Couches, Full Bath's, etc.), it's really hard for the Average Consumer to stomach $15k for a Layout 1 13" with no Bath/Toilet, no AC, no Awning, etc., and over $20k for a 16' (But Hey, we get it at least). Though, the new Standard Features do almost make up for the increase in price from previous year, Bravo Scamp. Production Times are declining (not good). Resale Values are as good as ever (Yay us), but who knows next year or the year after. The Canadian Exchange Rate is still very lopsided, those "Escape" prices are hard to compete with for us American Buyers (Especially those of you looking at well equipped 16' & 17' Scamp/Casita models), how could you pass it up. I love Scamps, love the Retro "I'm not changing anything for anybody (Since the 70's) attitude", but a little updating wouldn't hurt (Hey, Casita just did it/interior colors), and for crying out loud add a "Outside Shower" option. Do you (Scamp) now how many more people would order a Layout 1 Option Package "with Water Heater" if you just added a simple outside shower factory option. And of course this has been said before, Rivet=Fail, that will never change. Finally, yes keep the Scamps just as they are, (I'm even fine with the wood floor, they seem to hold up), but maybe offer a "Modern Package', call it whatever you want (X-Package?), update the colors, fabrics and cabinetry with just a bit more modern flare/color. We all know you are selling every trailer you make, but let me tell you, some real advancements are finally starting to happen in the RV industry. Markets are going younger, and they are paying attention to details and quality. Industry is no longer driven by the "Boomers", Millennials now control the Universe, hope you are prepared.

Anyway, Here is the old (month or two old/See Below) Price Sheet, compared to the New Price Sheet (Today). Deluxe Models available upon request (but expect similar increases).

Happy Scamping!!!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5293.jpg   IMG_5294.jpg  

IMG_5295.jpg  
XBeatzX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 02:19 AM   #2

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Registry
An excellent post! I 100% agree with your thoughts and suggestions. Thanks for the report and price sheets.
Julie T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 10:19 AM   #3

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19 (was 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up)
Registry
Thanks for the price sheets! I just happened to be looking at the old ones I had from 2016 last night. We visited the factory on our way back from the Boler 50th anniversary in Winnipeg last year and saw some of the updated add-ons, like the LED exterior lights, crank down stabilizers, and rear receiver hitch. They looked pretty good!
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 02:40 PM   #4

Name: Don
Trailer: Shopping
Alabama
Ultimately we cancelled our scamp and ate the $500 deposit for a Rockwood Geo Pro instead.

Now I realize the solid fiberglass is more durable but the newer aluminum framed RVs with a solid fiberglass top and azdel walls are not like the old mold prone wood and aluminum sided campers.
dcs02d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 04:33 PM   #5

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Molded FG trailers always were priced at a premium. If you are looking at initial outlay, you can do better. Now ten years later, the Scamp will be worth alot more. But up front, its more $$ for less space.

Standard vinyl floor alone is almost worth price increase.

Molded trailers were never meant for average consumers. You pay a hefty premium for a much smaller rig. I think Scamp generally is the most affordable new FG trailer out there. It’s really up to the buyer to decide.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 11:36 AM   #6

Name: Tammy
Trailer: In the market
Tennessee
Picking up a Scamp in Backus

I hope you can help me, since you've recently visited the factory. I'm going to pick up my new Scamp in the next month or so. We're trying to figure out the logistics, and since I don't have much vacation time, my husband is going to drive up to Backus, and I plan to fly into the nearest airport and then meet him there. The nearest airport appears to be Minneapolis/St. Paul, other than some really small airports. I will need to get a rental car and then drive to Backus. Does Backus have any rental car agencies? I haven't been able to find one that would let me drop off a car in Backus. We'll be traveling from Tennessee, and I would really appreciate help in working this out. I'm very open to any better suggestions.
Tami B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 11:54 AM   #7

Name: Linda
Trailer: Scamp 1992 13'
Washington
So, on the price sheet does the option package get added onto the base price? Is a 13'Scamp about $23,000?
Lady Scamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 12:58 PM   #8

Name: Judi
Trailer: 16' Scamp
North Carolina
Visiting Scamp

One of those you looked at in production is my 16' layout 6 that I pick up in about 14 days. So excited and so happy to hear you didn't see anything lacking in the builds. Mine was originally scheduled for end of August pick up and someone cancelled an order so mine got moved up.

I tried very, very hard to do some customization of my standard layout and only managed to get them to NOT glue in the carpet so that I could more easily remove it. I'll put down the flooring I prefer myself (have done lots of flooring in lots of homes/shops, so it is no biggie for me), but it was an absolute battle to get that one concession. I also wanted the toilet left out to install my own Dry Flush but they just wouldn't, even when I said I would pay the same price without it installed. Now I will have to both take out the regular one and patch the fiberglass where they make the dump hole.
Judi in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 02:11 PM   #9

Name: Andrew
Trailer: '13 Scamp
Alaska
Tami,

Your best option is probably Greyhound to get close to Backus, and the then get picked up. I've taken the bus to Hackensack, but not sure on current routes or options.

Edit: looks like there is a bus everyday from Mpls to Hackensack, which is only about 15 mins from Backus. Otherwise nearest rental car place is likely in Brainerd, ~ 1 hr away. -or- just get picked up in MSP if you are okay skipping the trip North to Backus. MSP is directly on your way back to Rocky Top and skip three hours of boring central MN.

Good luck.
Andrew AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 02:38 PM   #10

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19 (was 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up)
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tami B View Post
I hope you can help me, since you've recently visited the factory. I'm going to pick up my new Scamp in the next month or so. We're trying to figure out the logistics, and since I don't have much vacation time, my husband is going to drive up to Backus, and I plan to fly into the nearest airport and then meet him there. The nearest airport appears to be Minneapolis/St. Paul, other than some really small airports. I will need to get a rental car and then drive to Backus. Does Backus have any rental car agencies? I haven't been able to find one that would let me drop off a car in Backus. We'll be traveling from Tennessee, and I would really appreciate help in working this out. I'm very open to any better suggestions.
Looks like your husband would have to drive right past the airport anyway. Why not schedule an early flight, have him pick you up, and drive to Backus together? Backus is pretty small so I would be surprised if anyone handles rental cars there, and if they did, the drop off fee for a one way rental would probably exceed the cost of a nights lodging at MSP airport.
Old 06-26-2019, 02:42 PM   #11

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Scamp View Post
So, on the price sheet does the option package get added onto the base price? Is a 13'Scamp about $23,000?
No, the option package is the price of the basic Scamp including all the marked options, which is a savings over ordering those options individually. Good deal!
Old 06-27-2019, 06:59 AM   #12

MN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tami B View Post
Definitely No Rental Car Agencies in Backus. Heck, there are only a few paved roads that get you into town (Don't have your GPS set for "Shortest Possible Route", it may just bring you down some shady State Forest Roads, ask me how I know). You could check and see if your Airport flies into Fargo ND, if so much easier, if not St. Cloud or MPLS is your only other choice. (Though I would avoid MSP if you can, traffic has become a absolute nightmare with all the road construction going on). I'm guessing you want to be their for Orientation. So I would just rent a car at whatever Airport you fly into, than pick a drop off somewhere on your route back to TN. And if you can swing an extra couple of days, stay a night or two at "Itasca State Park" or "Maplewood State Park", two of the most beautiful state parks in the Country, and both within an hour of Backus. Enjoy that new Scamp!!!
Old 06-27-2019, 07:14 AM   #13

MN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judi in NC View Post
One of those you looked at in production is my 16' layout 6 that I pick up in about 14 days. So excited and so happy to hear you didn't see anything lacking in the builds. Mine was originally scheduled for end of August pick up and someone cancelled an order so mine got moved up.

I tried very, very hard to do some customization of my standard layout and only managed to get them to NOT glue in the carpet so that I could more easily remove it. I'll put down the flooring I prefer myself (have done lots of flooring in lots of homes/shops, so it is no biggie for me), but it was an absolute battle to get that one concession. I also wanted the toilet left out to install my own Dry Flush but they just wouldn't, even when I said I would pay the same price without it installed. Now I will have to both take out the regular one and patch the fiberglass where they make the dump hole.

Congrats on the new Scamp. I'm not surprised about them being uncompromising. The "Our way or the Highway" attitude of Scamp is very apparent. They are always pleasant, but the couple of times I have been in parts Dept.I have stood there looking like an idiot for 15-20 minutes as workers casually come in and out of the room, phone ringing unanswered, finally someone looks over and says "Can I help you with something?" (No Sh** Sherlock, I'm standing at the counter!). Backus is a very rural town here in MN, and the "Minnesota Nice" thing lives true, but many folks in this area are a bit Introverted, and just have a certain way about them. At Least you never have to put up with Hard Sells from the Salesman. There are about 15-20 different things I would like to provide (On my dime) on a new order, and have them install, but it's never going to happen. Mainly a Couple/Three Sheets of Marine Grade Synthetic Decking as a replacement for that wood floor. Yes they are around $250 a Sheet, and would drop them off rite at the factory. Same with Cabinet Doors, Stove Insert, Light Fixtures, Table Top, and more. They could save a couple grand just by the stuff I would provide to have the trailer suited for my needs.
Old 08-18-2019, 02:57 PM   #14

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judi in NC View Post

Surprised. I picked up my 2019 model this past December. I got layout 4 with the side bath. I had them leave the toilet out as I wanted a C-head. They didn't even hesitate, said sure, no problem.
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 04:11 PM   #15

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleB View Post
Surprised. I picked up my 2019 model this past December. I got layout 4 with the side bath. I had them leave the toilet out as I wanted a C-head. They didn't even hesitate, said sure, no problem.
WOW! They absolutely refused to change the bathroom for me. It took almost the whole year just to convince them not to glue the carpet down. After meeting them in person, most of the staff are men and I was given the "little lady" treatment until I reminded them that I'm used to pulling a truck and horse trailer or 16' loaded hay wagon and that I did Habitat for Humanity for 10 years along with building two full workshops/art studios that are larger than most houses in the area not counting updating two houses and two barns. It kinda pisses me off that they did yours without a toilet without question. :-(
Old 08-18-2019, 04:58 PM   #16

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
Wonder if who you got for a salesmen makes a difference. I had Jim. He changed my order a few times, had to write up a new agreement each time, but never complained or gave me a difficult time about it. I've always had very good, friendly service with whoever I talked too. Both in servicing my old, used 13 foot, ordering parts, or in the purchase process of getting my new 16 ft.

I had heard they don't like to modify the trailers much - mostly for ease of building. The crews are used to doing everything just one or two ways, the more variations you add in, the slower the process and the more opportunity for errors that might be expensive and time consuming to correct. They are trying to maintain their production schedules, so I can understand that. But my experience with the toilet was a none issue for them.

In fact, the guy who did my walk through when I picked up the trailer was amazed at how much more usable the side bath (shower) is without the toilet in the way. I pointed out that the C-head can be removed in about one minute when you want to use the shower. Only attached with two rubber latches, and no plumbing.

All I can say, is that in over 5 years of dealing with the Scamp factory and employees, I have never had an unsatisfactory exchange with them. Maybe I'm lucky.
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 05:23 PM   #17

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by XBeatzX View Post
Congrats on the new Scamp. I'm not surprised about them being uncompromising. The "Our way or the Highway" attitude of Scamp is very apparent. They are always pleasant, but the couple of times I have been in parts Dept.I have stood there looking like an idiot for 15-20 minutes as workers casually come in and out of the room, phone ringing unanswered, finally someone looks over and says "Can I help you with something?" (No Sh** Sherlock, I'm standing at the counter!). Backus is a very rural town here in MN, and the "Minnesota Nice" thing lives true, but many folks in this area are a bit Introverted, and just have a certain way about them. At Least you never have to put up with Hard Sells from the Salesman. There are about 15-20 different things I would like to provide (On my dime) on a new order, and have them install, but it's never going to happen. Mainly a Couple/Three Sheets of Marine Grade Synthetic Decking as a replacement for that wood floor. Yes they are around $250 a Sheet, and would drop them off rite at the factory. Same with Cabinet Doors, Stove Insert, Light Fixtures, Table Top, and more. They could save a couple grand just by the stuff I would provide to have the trailer suited for my needs.
I disagree with your assessment. In addition to several layout choices, there are color choices, flooring choices, appliance choices, 12V and 110V outlet choices as well as the ability to delete standard features or add such things as a bathroom sink, the addition of extra lights where you want them, TV antenna hook-ups and more.
If you want even more choice... buy the Custom Deluxe.

Have you bought a car lately? What product do you think you have more choices today.

It is of course not practical to swap the flooring and there simply is no good reason to do so.
If you are a "2" on the DIY scale of "1-10" you should be able to swap out the doors in an hour or two with common hand tools.
They will supply custom wiring where you want it and delete such things as the stove top.
Most of what you want to do could be installed by yourself assuming you can operate a screwdriver and maybe a couple of other simple hand tools.

As stated above, if you want something unique and custom, buy the Deluxe then make the practical changes you like after purchase,
That's half the fun!
Call me if you need help or advice on you your mods, maybe I can help you.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 05:27 PM   #18

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleB View Post
Wonder if who you got for a salesmen makes a difference. I had Jim. ....
I had Jim as well. But he refused the toilet being left out and even had me talk to the production manager who also said it wasn't a good idea and wouldn't do it either. They were all wonderful in person--but I still have all the extra work of removing the black water toilet they installed despite all my requests/pleas and putting in my DryFlush toilet now.

I did add two things between start and finish along with proper paperwork--though the fan was left off and I had to wait for them to install on pick up day even though it was properly ordered and invoiced in advance. Oh, and replacing the broken microwave as it self-destructed since it had only one screw holding it in top/bottom and it tore the flimsy facing off during the three day drive home. They were good about honoring the warranty with photo proof that the poor thing didn't even make it home.

Tags
scamp