New Scamps FOR RENT - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2007, 01:41 PM   #1

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Just saw this posted over that YahooScampers and wanted to share!

Guess they're located in Northern Tenneesee

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 01:57 PM   #2

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
well thats cool.. wish them luck.... !! for many who want to experiece the camping w/o purchasing this is perfect for them.... website is really cute too
Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 02:34 PM   #3

Trailer: TrailManor (Gone to the Darkside)
Cool!

The trailers are interesting in their difference from the standard 13-footer.

No large front window.
No stove!

I presume there's nothing gas - so no front tank. Probably done for insurance reasons - but it does simplify things a lot.

The rates actually strike me as fairly cheap. It'll take them a l-o-n-g time to recoup the costs of the trailers at those rates.

Nice to see though.

Mike
Watters
Mike Watters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 04:48 PM   #4

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
The trailers are interesting in their difference from the standard 13-footer.

No large front window.
No stove!

[b]I presume there's nothing gas - so no front tank. Probably done for insurance reasons - but it does simplify things a lot.
I noticed that too.
Rentals can be a challenge to make money with. Going all electric is an innovative way to overcome some challenges with the general (untrained) public. Most rental housing I know of has gone all electric.

I'll bet it is a more modern idea to use a smaller vent window... for the same reason many class C motorhomes are eliminating the full window from the front of the cabover bunk. Not necessarily a wonderful thing to sleep in front of a big window.
Old 03-23-2007, 05:11 PM   #5

Trailer: Play Pac ('Egg Krate')
Wink

They are in Johnson City TN. They have 12 Eggs for rent. They are near a very active NASCAR track/event venue along with, if I remember correctly, a fairly large dirt bike track.

Rates are 39.00 per day, plus tax and insurance. They give discounts for length of time rented and to military and seniors.

Nice folks.

The Egg configured as they have them are 1100 pounds. Now that's exciting to me, because I could do something similar and be able to pull it with the Wrangler.

I'm seriously thinking about renting one and taking it to MI this summer. What a great way to check out the possiblilties.

Bonnie
Old 03-23-2007, 07:32 PM   #6

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
The no-propane configuration for rental is not a new idea...
EggCamper... New trailer brand coming soon!
and I understand the reasoning. After some reading of the site I realized that there is a microwave, but that's the only thing for cooking, and they suggest you bring your own barbeque or stove. The heat is electric - a heat strip in the A/C unit.

I found that some of the towing requirements were not really clear, and I called them for clarification. I reached the owner, Bill, who was quite helpful.

The "class A" hitch term didn't mean anything to me, but this is intended to echo Scamp's recommendation, which is intended to avoid inadequate setups, such as some of the old bumper hitches.

They are also following Scamp's suggestions about suitable tow vehicles, and I expressed my concern that a trailer which weighs 1100 lb empty is certainly heavy enough to need brakes with many vehicles. These units do not have brakes and Scamp says they are not needed; Scamp would not supply the hydraulic surge brakes which Bill and I agree would be suitable for rental use (where the tug would not likely be set up with an electric brake controller). The whole "what can you tow with" subject doesn't need to be rehashed here, but "a 4 cylinder car will easily tow" these is way too general a statement for me.

A 6-pin round connector is rare compared to a 4-pin flat... but that's the Scamp standard. They do reportedly work with a flat-4 connector, using an adapter, so I can only assume they have combined brake/turn signals.

Bill had not heard of the U-Haul rental eggs, and I directed him here to FiberglassRV, so we may see him show up in the forum...
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 08:08 PM   #7

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Bill had not heard of the U-Haul rental eggs, and I directed him here to FiberglassRV, so we may see him show up in the forum...
Good show Brian
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 11:37 AM   #8

Trailer: 1991 16 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Looks like one can't make the assumption that a small front window in a 13' Scamp = front bath any more.
Lee Hillsgrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 04:48 PM   #9

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Quote:
Looks like one can't make the assumption that a small front window in a 13' Scamp = front bath any more.
However, one can now make the assumption that a family of four out for vacation won't create a lot of condensation on the front window which will run down and eventually mildew due to the poor ventilation in the front of most eggs

Would really be nice to have surge brakes on the rental trailers.

They would be wise to make a list of vehicles which are NOT recommended for towing such a trailer -- UHaul maintains a 'blacklist' of tow vehicles...

I'd guess the 6 pin connector was put on by Scamp for the purpose of recharging the battery, but it's unlikely that the typical renter will have a working battery charge connection on the tow vehicle. They are going to have to stock lots of adapters, wiring diagrams and diode blocks in order to get the right light connections done or else have a lot of disappointed customers turned away.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 08:21 PM   #10

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Yes, I agree that surge brakes would have been a good plan. To be fair, my understanding is that U-Haul used them only on the 16' Vacation Trailer, not on the 13' Camper Trailer.

Quote:
UHaul maintains a 'blacklist' of tow vehicles...
Would this be the same U-Haul that says in their Trailer user guide that any tow vehicle can tow a trailer equal to the curb weight of the tow vehicle, without trailer brakes? There is actually some good information on the U-Haul trailers site (even good explanations of how to apply the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating), despite this idiotic section on page 2 of the user guide. I would not count on the people I have met in U-Haul stores to check a blacklist, and would not expect the list to be of any value, given the statements like that one in the user guide.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote