New sign-in procedure - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2019, 11:54 AM   #41

Name: Bryan
Trailer: Carefree
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I have a different password for my banking. Another for any site involving potential purchases and another for social media.

Simple as that.

Good Glen...then you are safe!
CarefreeLad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 12:07 PM   #42

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel A. View Post
The lock symbol you sometimes see in your browser bar, refers to financial transaction security. We don't take any payments on this website, so that's technically unnecessary.

Incorrect. it means that the data transmission between the browser and server is encrypted. This is of course important for financial transactions, but for the reason that your credentials are being passed in plain text for the bad folks to read should they choose to. As I've said - exposed credentials leaves users of this site potentially vulnerable on other sites.

Quote:
The only time you need to worry is when you try to visit a site and get a full page block telling you that the website is trying to steal your information and not to proceed further. That means the website is hacked and/or malicious and you should definitely not visit.

I'm sorry, but you do not understand web security. Yes..you should avoid those pages, but data and identity theft are very different from infected sites or sites known to have contained infected files. The latter is virus/malware related and the former is not at all. What I am talking about has nothing to do with you r I going to infected sites - it's about credentials that can be stolen and used to hack into your accounts elsewhere - not at all virus/malware related.

Quote:
A "not secure" warning in the address bar of the browser is a totally different thing.It just means you should not be inputting sensitive information like your credit card number. That is standard web smarts. Never give anyone your CC number without a lock sign in the address bar.

Now you're talking, but you need to add to that - "don't provide your credentials either".

Quote:

Web protocol is shifting and trying to get everyone to switch to https security (the lock symbol in your browser bar).

It has shifted and this is NOT about getting anyone using your site to do anything different. It has to do with you guys making sure the web server your site runs in forces the URL to switch to HTTPS if someone tries to visit the page with HTTP. As I've already said - a setting in IIS can be changed and then HTTPS (SSL) if forced site wide. Then things are secure...nobody can accidentally end up submitting sensitive data via an unencrypted connection.

Quote:

Having a good anti-virus program on your computer ie I use Kaspersky plus changing passwords for different sites will go a long way.

Good advice for sure, but what about the responsibility of the site owners to not have security holes in the first place??
Old 02-21-2019, 12:17 PM   #43

British Columbia
Insecure login

It would appear some changes have been made since last night - the insecure vBulletin login page "http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/login.php" now redirects to "http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums".

I pulled the above insecure URL from my browser history from last night - proving I visited that page yesterday without being redirected.

See the attached screenshots of proof that SSL is not being forced and a user can end up on an insecure login page - note the http and the lock with a line through it in my address bar.
Attached Thumbnails
insecure login - not submitted.png   insecure login - submitted with error.png  

Old 02-21-2019, 12:27 PM   #44

Name: J
Isle of Wight
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarefreeLad View Post
It would appear some changes have been made since last night - the insecure vBulletin login page "http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/login.php" now redirects to "http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums".

I pulled the above insecure URL from my browser history from last night - proving I visited that page yesterday without being redirected.

See the attached screenshots of proof that SSL is not being forced and a user can end up on an insecure login page - note the http and the lock with a line through it in my address bar.

I just went to view that screenshot - but I was not logged in.
I was asked to log in on an unsecure page..... and it asked for a user ID.

What is going on?
WizWid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 12:34 PM   #45

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by widgetwizard View Post
I just went to view that screenshot - but I was not logged in.
I was asked to log in on an unsecure page..... and it asked for a user ID.

What is going on?

Exactly!! I think there are still links to force logon that take you to that insecure page that asks for user ID. What you found is the page I can no longer get to - the vBulletin login that asks for User ID.
If you can reproduce that....please post the login form URL Widget.

Thanks for the confirmation Widget!
Old 02-21-2019, 12:37 PM   #46

Name: J
Isle of Wight
Quote:
Exactly!! I think there are still links to force logon that take you to that insecure page that asks for user ID. What you found is the page I can no longer get to - the vBulletin login that asks for User ID.
If you can reproduce that....please post the login form URL Widget.

Thanks for the confirmation Widget!

Here is a screenshot....
Attached Thumbnails
screenshot.png  
WizWid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 12:47 PM   #47

British Columbia
Thanks! - so that's 2 insecure forms in the wild, but what do I know huh
Old 02-21-2019, 01:19 PM   #48
Administrator

Trailer: Argosy
Registry
Thanks for the additional screen shots - looking at this now.
Old 02-21-2019, 01:41 PM   #49

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
Thanks for the additional screen shots - looking at this now.

Anytime Janet - 25 years in the game!

I've learned a few things - been at it since the early side of the mid-90s - seen the dot com bubble form and burst and had a Palm Pilot when nobody knew what the heck they were - handled sensitive data for governments and industry.

Take care

-Bryan
Old 02-21-2019, 03:29 PM   #50

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
Lightbulb

Quote:
Anytime Janet - 25 years in the game!

I've learned a few things - been at it since the early side of the mid-90s - seen the dot com bubble form and burst and had a Palm Pilot when nobody knew what the heck they were - handled sensitive data for governments and industry.

Take care

-Bryan

OH BOY, there is something called social skills.
Daniel A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 04:04 PM   #51

British Columbia
Quote:
OH BOY, there is something called social skills.

So I guess pointing out site flaws and giving advice as to how to fix them, then taking flac for it is anti-social huh. Nice attitude

I was expressing my years of experience doing things that clearly the admins here have not. How is that a social skills issue? I'm offering my help and getting spit on for it.

I am not bot blame - the owners of this site are for failing to properly protect the data of there users here while saying security and privacy are important here.

What the do we say about a "senior member" who gives false information to the users about security - have a look in a mirror Daniel - you are uninformed and making things worse - why freak out at me as opposed to benefit from what I know??

If you guys want some help - more than happy - if not - fine by me.

To other members - PM if you'd like to understand this better - no problem...glad to help as you have helped me.
Old 02-21-2019, 09:27 PM   #52

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Everybody has a different way of communicating and being direct, even blunt and referring to one's experience is not bragging or a lack of social skills. I think Bryan is right in this argument and his help should be welcomed.

I see it this way: anything that resembles a form to be filled out on a web page can be a target. It already says "username" and "password", so it should be easy to harvest, if not secure. Same goes for e-mail addresses and phone numbers. How many times do the moderators have to remind people to not use the @ and . symbols pattern, and at least write out the phone numbers in words (misspelling might even improve security). To communicate those items is what the PM system is for, and it most probably is secure (I have not checked, though). Many years before I started to hang out here, this forum was maliciously destroyed, I heard. Let's hope the users and the forum will remain safe.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 10:09 AM   #53

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul O. View Post
Everybody has a different way of communicating and being direct, even blunt and referring to one's experience is not bragging or a lack of social skills. I think Bryan is right in this argument and his help should be welcomed.

I see it this way: anything that resembles a form to be filled out on a web page can be a target. It already says "username" and "password", so it should be easy to harvest, if not secure. Same goes for e-mail addresses and phone numbers. How many times do the moderators have to remind people to not use the @ and . symbols pattern, and at least write out the phone numbers in words (misspelling might even improve security). To communicate those items is what the PM system is for, and it most probably is secure (I have not checked, though). Many years before I started to hang out here, this forum was maliciously destroyed, I heard. Let's hope the users and the forum will remain safe.

Thanks Paul - blunt is indeed my middle name ....although much more so in situations like this when I see folks are in potential jeopardy.

For the record....it's safest to simply have SSL applied and forced for the entire site. There was a time long ago that would have slowed down the site - no more. You can try and cherry pick every vulnerable page or just go all in - no cost difference, but simpler and more effective. Given the admins didn't even know this was going on - all in sounds best for sure.

Take care

-Bryan
Old 02-22-2019, 12:56 PM   #54

Name: Jason
Trailer: Egg Camper
Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
There is no place on the site you should be entering a username and password to login if you are using the full browser version of the site. You should always be entering e-mail and password to login.
Sorry to sidetrack this discussion on SSL, but WHY did we change from screen name to email for login? It's been a pain in the arse.

Jason
SilverGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 04:31 PM   #55

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Why is it a pain? Log in with your email, click the remember me box and don't log out.
Works for me.
Old 02-22-2019, 05:49 PM   #56

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
I agree w/ Glen
Easy peezy
Can’t believe this thread is still an issue
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 09:53 AM   #57

Name: Jason
Trailer: Egg Camper
Tennessee
Hmm, seems like it's time to stop visiting and get rid of my account.

Jason
SilverGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 04:30 PM   #58

Name: Fredrick
Trailer: Escape 21C
Tennessee
Sign in woes

I too have been having to login 3-4 tries for the last month. I seem to get Wrong password memos time after time
Fred762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 04:45 PM   #59

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGhost View Post
Sorry to sidetrack this discussion on SSL, but WHY did we change from screen name to email for login? ...
See http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...oon-87191.html
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 05:34 PM   #60

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred762 View Post
I too have been having to login 3-4 tries for the last month. I seem to get Wrong password memos time after time

Simple solution. Next time you get logged on, don't log out, ever.