New small camp trailer- 1300 lbs - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-04-2013, 12:27 PM   #21

Name: James
Trailer: in the market
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
It's kinda cool. sort of a utility trailer crossed with a swiss army knife and a tent!
Did you ever try to use the knife and fork at the same time?
To me it is like when I moved from wade fishing to kayak fishing but for someone who has tent camped and backpacked for nearly 40 years(me). I can get places in my kayak that no powerboat can and I have the same kind of hopes for a more comfortable camping experience(i.e. sleeping on the ground isn't so easy at ~50) off the beaten path that no conventional trailer could reach.
Flyfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 02:01 PM   #22

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Faceted body panels make it look like a stealth aircraft. Teardrop for a Tinman maybe. I also think the cost/benefit is low but new anythings must be purchased at new anything prices. Every time I see a plug for innovative thinking, I worry that it's the return of the dreaded hi-lo.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 02:13 PM   #23

Delaware
To the degree that "go anywhere" is about ground clearance and length of overhang from axles, I'm having trouble seeing how this is an off-roader at 15' OA and 10" ground clearance. 15 to 16' length and 13 to 14" ground clearance are pretty common among trailers with no great pretensions of negotiating power line cuts and fording streams.

jack
Old 03-04-2013, 02:20 PM   #24

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit View Post
Faceted body panels make it look like a stealth aircraft. Teardrop for a Tinman maybe. I also think the cost/benefit is low but new anythings must be purchased at new anything prices. Every time I see a plug for innovative thinking, I worry that it's the return of the dreaded hi-lo.

jack
The back end's aerodynamics look to be out of the Toyota Prius school of design to me. I'm guessing the side angles are to lessen the effects of the air blast off a passing semi?

Isn't rigid aluminum frame construction a considerably more expensive technique than molded fiberglass panels? They are using airplane frame type stuff. Strength for the weight should be pretty high. This thing really isn't aimed at the average RV loop at the campground crowd.

Old 03-04-2013, 02:31 PM   #25

Texas
Quote:
To the degree that "go anywhere" is about ground clearance and length of overhang from axles, I'm having trouble seeing how this is an off-roader at 15' OA and 10" ground clearance. 15 to 16' length and 13 to 14" ground clearance are pretty common among trailers with no great pretensions of negotiating power line cuts and fording streams.

jack

Nor do I have a tow vehicle that can do those things. But I can get to more remote primitive road areas. I'm not intending to hook it to a Jeep and hit Moab or the Rubicon. But I do want something beyond the RV loop at the campground.
Old 03-04-2013, 02:45 PM   #26

Delaware
Strange to say, the incorporation of all my heart's desires in a folding, overlapping, adapting, converting, expanding, contracting package made my jaw drop for a minute until I remembered other mousetrap concepts of years gone by. The frames and stringers look sharp. I guess you supply our own hard hat?

jack
Old 03-04-2013, 04:35 PM   #27

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I went checked out the pics at Dwell: Dwell | At Home in the Modern World: Modern Design & Architecture For someone wanting to become a minimalist, it looks like heaven on wheels!
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:15 PM   #28

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:

jack
Well it might at least be able to traverse most Illannoy roads,providing they stick to the best ones!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:17 AM   #29

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Well it might at least be able to traverse most Illannoy roads,providing they stick to the best ones!

My use would be mostly getting to streams on friends' Texas' Hill Country ranches where there is almost no dirt on top of the limestone.

I'm getting the idea from y'all's responses that I need to rent trailers a few weekends and see what they are like to camp out of as I've never camped in anything but a tent in my life.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:39 PM   #30

Name: Kathy
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Washington
Registry
Don't think it would ever suit our needs, but I like some of his innovative ideas, especially how the windows work. How nice it would be to be able to open the entire area of a window, screened when you need it to be, or not when a nice breeze was keeping the bugs away. I also liked the way the privacy shades pulled up. Very clever. I thought the little table that swung into various positions was cool, as were the LED lights on those flexible arms. And being able to open up the entire back of the trailer was a nice feature too.I agree with George above. We've been RVing for quite a few years now and really the basic layout and equipment of RVs hasn't changed in decades. Time for some fresh thinking!
Evergreengirl is offline   Reply With Quote