New small camp trailer- 1300 lbs - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-10-2012, 08:48 PM   #1

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
New small camp trailer- 1300 lbs

2012 Cricket
Cricket Trailer
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 10:07 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Different strokes for different folks. I like the fact I can open the door of my trailer and use everything on the inside without hunching over. YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 11:06 PM   #3

Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
Thanks for the link. This guy has put a lot of thought into the trailer. The interior sort of reminds me of a sail boat I remodeled. It would be much more like camping, with exposed storage mesh for clothing, than the eggs. Interesting.
Old 02-11-2012, 03:39 AM   #4

Name: Matt and Lindsey
Trailer: 1972 Boler 1300
British Columbia
If I (wife...) had seen this prior to buying our Boler...I definitely would have wanted one...we backpack a lot & this trailer seems like it would totally mesh with our lifestyle...maybe not very bear safe...but neither is a Boler or a tent!
bomni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 06:41 AM   #5

Trailer: Boler
Registry
I like how you can open the whole thing up. Great for beach days I could totally see myself laying there while its parked along a beach having an afternoon nap with a breeze blowing through.
Doug Arthurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 01:01 PM   #6

Name: Johnny
Trailer: Eriba Puck
New York
He should have spent some money on doing a quality video with decent sound.
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 06:49 PM   #7

Name: Hazel
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
I didn't see a weight listed nor a price range. I didn't see a list of dealers - any in Canada? I didn't see a 'no kitchen' option either. The videos didn't inspire me much, mainly because the beds looked lumpy and uncomfortable and there general lack of useful info.
Hazel in Sk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 08:54 PM   #8

Name: Darron
Trailer: In the market
Texas
I downloaded the price list. It's a little more than $14k USD. The only dealer is Princess Craft RV in Pflugerville, TX. The trailer weighs 1400 to 1600 lbs and is only 6.5 feet wide. Should be easy to tow. If I only needed something for one person this could fit my needs, but my wife wants more room and a real bathroom, not a porta-potty behind a curtain.

Still, I like the concept and am glad to see someone thinking outside the box.

JohnnyB: I volunteered at the American Astronomical Society meeting in Austin last month. After listening to dozens of PhD astrophysicists' presentations I'd rate Garrett a solid C compared to them. Which means you are right: he needs to hire someone with decent presentation skills for his marketing video.
Doc Sarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 09:36 PM   #9

Name: Fred
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500
Washington
Registry
Blah, looks like a Frank Gehry building on wheels. FileMPPano11.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

--Fred and Natalie
1978 Trillium 4500 "Bernerwagon"
freddo411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 10:23 PM   #10

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
Why all the odd angles in the sheet metal and what looks to be an ill fitting backside?? 14K, You can have a nice Egg for that which tows just as well if not better I'd think. I would like to know what he suspended those bunks from and what weight they are rated.
Old 02-13-2012, 07:38 AM   #11

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
Mellissab, the website shows the bunks are rated for up to 100 pounds, and are suspended by webbing straps and hooks from slots in the aluminum frame. Not easy to find that info, as it's in a photo description.
I saw this featured in Dwell. Their photo series is really nice, certainly better than the echo-plagued youtube video on the Cricket website.
I could actually see this selling very well to serious campers/backpackers and outdoor sports enthusiasts who want a camping base camp, not an rv. It's definitely new and interesting.
Sherry
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 04:02 PM   #12

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
Thanks for the info, Sherry, I definately missed that bit.

Melissa
Old 02-14-2012, 10:17 AM   #13

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
The old thread from 2009 shows the prototype. The designer has been at it a long time http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ler-40400.html
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 10:42 AM   #14

Name: george
Trailer: FunFinder
Missouri
It's certainly encouraging to see this type of thinking going into the RV industry. For any industry to survive and grow it must continue to attract the younger buyers, and I could certainly see a young family using one of these. As fuel goes up in price, and families need to control household and leisure time costs, this camper could be a win-win deal.
Good on him, I hope he does well with it.

george
gmw photos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 02:05 PM   #15

Name: Matt and Lindsey
Trailer: 1972 Boler 1300
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by SherryNPaul
I could actually see this selling very well to serious campers/backpackers and outdoor sports enthusiasts who want a camping base camp, not an rv. It's definitely new and interesting.
Sherry
If you had the extra cash this would be an awesome basecamp for backpacking or if like us (diehard tenters who were never going to grow up and get a trailer) you put off getting a trailer due to love of going to really out of the way, barely accessible places & didn't want to "give in" to a trailer this is a great transitional & versatile trailer. Not really for comfortable, provincial park, paved sites trailer camping, more for rugged off the grid camping. Definitely expensive but it looks like a quality design to me & it's that which counts when you are striving for minimalist camping (to us anyways).
bomni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 08:30 PM   #16

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
I'd agree, bomni. It looks like a trailer that could go just about anywhere. It is pricey for a mostly "barebones" and efficient basecamp, but it has a lot of appeal as a true camping trailer/hard-sided tent on wheels. It reminds me of some of the unusual (some would say odd) campers I've seen from Australia. Nice to see a different trailer for a different niche.
Sherry
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 10:21 PM   #17

Name: Darron
Trailer: In the market
Texas
I saw a Cricket at the Austin RV Show today. Nice little camper, but just too small for what my wife and I need. As mentioned earlier on this thread it would be a great camper for someone who just wants a more comfortable and sturdier tent, but I would not want to spend two or three days cooped up in it waiting out bad weather.

I do wish the manufacturer success. If I had the budget for two trailers this would make a good camper for getting off the beaten path when I'm out by myself taking photos.
Doc Sarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:24 AM   #18

Name: James
Trailer: in the market
Texas
Anyone with new reports?

We're looking for something that can go places a conventional trailer can't. The light weight, rigid aluminum frame, and 10" of ground clearance seems like a good candidate. What else should we look at? We want something more(toilet, sink, fridge, etc.) than Sylvansports Go's foldout tent on a trailer. And something without the setup time of a popup.
Flyfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:57 AM   #19

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
It's kinda cool. sort of a utility trailer crossed with a swiss army knife and a tent!
Did you ever try to use the knife and fork at the same time?
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:57 AM   #20

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I was actually looking at these online a couple of days ago. I found this link for small trailers so did a lot of window shopping:

Manufacturers | The Small Trailer Enthusiast

I did find some listed at the dealer in TX also.
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote