New Super-Light fiberglass-VR, Qc - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2015, 07:25 AM   #1

Name: Gilles
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B21RB, 2004
Quebec
Registry
New Super-Light fiberglass-VR, Qc

To see, from Quebec province, 15 min from my home.

Helio | Roulottes ultra-légères novatrices, durables et écologiques

Have a good week-end,
Attached Thumbnails
Heliovr.jpg  
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 07:42 AM   #2

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Hmmmm. My French is somewhat limited, but it looks like the base unit is, at 1200 lbs, about the same as the base weight of most eggs.

The "Mini-roulette" is mentioned at 500 lbs but there are no pics, I suspect that it is a teardrop, but 500 lbs is about the weight of an empty teardrop shell.

Interesting, but no cigar..... lol

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 08:25 AM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Looks like it is aluminum-framed with a fiberglass panel skin, so not molded.

Still, it is always good to see new small, lightweight designs come to market.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 05:48 AM   #4

Quebec
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Hmmmm. My French is somewhat limited,
I use this translator,

Reverso | Traduction gratuite, Dictionnaire, Grammaire

It is not completed but that helps me...
Old 07-26-2015, 06:01 AM   #5

Quebec
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Hmmmm. My French is somewhat limited, but it looks like the base unit is, at 1200 lbs, about the same as the base weight of most eggs.

The "Mini-roulette" is mentioned at 500 lbs but there are no pics, I suspect that it is a teardrop, but 500 lbs is about the weight of an empty teardrop shell.

Interesting, but no cigar..... lol
You can see photos here :

https://www.facebook.com/heliorv/pho...=photos_stream

And you can download the brochure, from the Web front page of heliovr.com , a small compartment appears at the top to the right, under the phone number, (Download our brochure).
It's a pdf file with details.

Have a good day,
Old 07-26-2015, 06:14 AM   #6

Quebec
Registry
This week, I'll go to visit on the spot to obtain more details.
If you have questions which you would want that, You can make them to me follow on this blog...
Old 07-26-2015, 07:35 AM   #7

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Does not look like molded fiberglass to me.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 07:43 AM   #8

Quebec
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken C View Post
Does not look like molded fiberglass to me.
Why?
If it's in one molded, aerodynamic, light, etc...
Old 07-26-2015, 08:01 AM   #9

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
The square (aka will Leak) edges indicate that it's not molded fiberglass construction. And, it's not really any lighter than a Scamp.
Interesting, but not in the same family.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 10:01 AM   #10

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Different strokes for different folks. These are the two things that immediately struck me. Whether bad or good, it depends on your opinion about such things.
Attached Thumbnails
SEAMs.jpg  
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 10:36 AM   #11

Quebec
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Different strokes for different folks. These are the two things that immediately struck me. Whether bad or good, it depends on your opinion about such things.
I'll ask on these two things, Donna, when I'll go to see it, probably this week....
Old 07-26-2015, 10:49 AM   #12

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Gilles, while you're there checking it out be sure to check out the wall frame construction. Is it wood or is it metal? Or, something else?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 11:03 AM   #13

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
This thread raises an interesting question in my mind. (Of course, maybe it's interesting only in my mind... lol) Here goes...

Molded FG trailers are generally made in 2 pieces which are joined by fiberglassing across the seam; the added thickness built into the seam can make that section even stronger than the rest of the shell, and it becomes as if it were one continuous piece.

Ok, couldn't FG trailers be more economically built by molding several pieces and glassing them together? Let's say, for example, that one built a rectangular trailer out of flat panels. Flat panels for front, rear, both sides, top, and perhaps bottom. The panels would be molded with extra thickness at the edges, and the edges would be joined by fiberglassing across. Wouldn't those seams be just as water-resistant as the belly seam on a Scamp, or the vertical seam on a Burro? The advantage would lie in the ease and cost of interior build on a conventional assembly line, and possibly less complicated, less expensive molds.

The other thought I had was whether current non-molded (so-called "fiberglass sided") trailers could have their seams glassed over. But I doubt that would work, because the 'fiberglass' is really a very thin layer that is more gelcoat and probably very little fiber content. It would lack the strength to avoid forming cracks along the area where the seams were fiberglassed over, I think. Thus the water leak danger and subsequent delamination issues would still exist. Gilles, I think the Roulotte falls into this category: a stick built trailer with thin gelcoat laminated to a core of some other material (probably wood).

But if companies just molded some flat FG panels with thicker edges and then glassed them together into a box shape, it seems like a better trailer would result. I mean, better (more leak resistant) than the stickies they currently make. And more plentiful and affordable than our current selection of eggs.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 11:59 AM   #14

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
"Why?
If it's in one molded, aerodynamic,"

You can see a truck camper shell, made with a chopper gun on youtube. That's one example of molded fiberglass. What's in the cross section of your trailer example posted? Looks like the mass produced rv industry Fiberglass panel bonded with glue to Luan substrate famous for delamination? That type of RV is usually discussed on RV.net or irv2.com
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 11:59 AM   #15

Quebec
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
This thread raises an interesting question in my mind. (Of course, maybe it's interesting only in my mind... lol) Here goes...

Molded FG trailers are generally made in 2 pieces which are joined by fiberglassing across the seam; the added thickness built into the seam can make that section even stronger than the rest of the shell, and it becomes as if it were one continuous piece.

Ok, couldn't FG trailers be more economically built by molding several pieces and glassing them together? Let's say, for example, that one built a rectangular trailer out of flat panels. Flat panels for front, rear, both sides, top, and perhaps bottom. The panels would be molded with extra thickness at the edges, and the edges would be joined by fiberglassing across. Wouldn't those seams be just as water-resistant as the belly seam on a Scamp, or the vertical seam on a Burro? The advantage would lie in the ease and cost of interior build on a conventional assembly line, and possibly less complicated, less expensive molds.

The other thought I had was whether current non-molded (so-called "fiberglass sided") trailers could have their seams glassed over. But I doubt that would work, because the 'fiberglass' is really a very thin layer that is more gelcoat and probably very little fiber content. It would lack the strength to avoid forming cracks along the area where the seams were fiberglassed over, I think. Thus the water leak danger and subsequent delamination issues would still exist. Gilles, I think the Roulotte falls into this category: a stick built trailer with thin gelcoat laminated to a core of some other material (probably wood).

But if companies just molded some flat FG panels with thicker edges and then glassed them together into a box shape, it seems like a better trailer would result. I mean, better (more leak resistant) than the stickies they currently make. And more plentiful and affordable than our current selection of eggs.
When I'll go visit, I'll look all these details, if it's possible and I shall transmit to you my vision.
Old 07-26-2015, 12:01 PM   #16

Quebec
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Gilles, while you're there checking it out be sure to check out the wall frame construction. Is it wood or is it metal? Or, something else?
Yes Donna, thank You to guide me.

Tags
light