New Tacoma / 5th wheel hitch - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-19-2018, 05:09 PM   #15

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Took me six years to get a response to Toyota "does not recommend a WDH". They said they don't have a relationship with a WDH manufacturer, so they don't recommend one.
Dealer has checked WDH receiver while in for service and declared it A-OK.

Old 07-19-2018, 05:12 PM   #16

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Took me six years to get a response to Toyota "does not recommend a WDH". They said they don't have a relationship with a WDH manufacturer, so they don't recommend one.
Dealer has checked WDH receiver while in for service and declared it A-OK.
Yes, this was the exact experience I had in mind when I posted my mouth-full-of-marbles version concerning the language that manufacturers use...

Old 07-19-2018, 05:20 PM   #17

Name: Al
Trailer: Scamp
North Carolina
Congrats on the new camper; I'm sure April will seem to be a long time coming. Toyota has used composite bed in their Tacomas since at least 2005 and I;m aware of several owners who tow Scamp 19's with them.

The picture in post #8 is of my 05. That same hitch was transferred to my 12 when I purchased it. NOTE: The dealership, Geenville Toyota, made the switch when I traded and I've never had a problem with the few warranty issues that have come up. Between the two trucks, I'd estimate at least 100K miles of towing with no problems. I'd also guess Jack is referring to my setup in post #6 as we camped together on last year's SUT. Hi Jack - hope things are well.

I built the hitch myself from scraps laying around the shop and I'm certainly not a skilled fabricator. I did have access to a metal bandsaw, heavy duty drill and air tools. No holes were drilled in the bed and the truck can be easily returned to stock in 15-20 minutes. The hitch is firmly mounted using the six existing bolts that hold the bed on the chassis. Look in the back of a Tacoma and these are easily identified as they have large torx heads.

We were at the factory in Backus last Fall having the awning replaced and I discussed the setup in some detail with a couple of their techs. They saw no problems with what I'd done.

I don't have any direct experience with the 4 cyl as both my Tacomas were double cab, short (60") bed, 4.0L, auto, 4WD with the TRD Offroad and tow packages. I will say that our D19 weighs in at over 3300 lbs in camping trim,

Drop me a PM with your phone number and I'll be glad to give you a call to discuss this in more detail if you'd like.

Al
Al & Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 05:38 PM   #18

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
This thread on a Tacoma forum shows Al's installation and another hitch arrangement which involved modifying the Scamp 19's hitch.

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/...-scamp.223474/
Attached Thumbnails
Zummie Scamp 19 hitch 01.jpg   Zummie Scamp 19 hitch 02.jpg  

Old 07-19-2018, 06:09 PM   #19

Name: Zach
Trailer: 91 Bigfoot 17
Montana
Registry
What it comes down to is being safe. And though the argument can be made that power can come in to play in the safety equation, it's more of a "stopping power" and stability thing. If you're over the vehicle payload limit, tow limit (or right up against the limit), or how much the brakes can safely, quickly stop, then it's really not a good idea.

BUT...

Having come here from the land of Toyota motorhomes, I can see the other side. I had a 78 Chinook and it was way overloaded, and powered by a 2.2L 4cylinder engine.

I drove that thing all over the west, and to Minneapolis and back. Over Vail Pass (10,000ft), and dozens of other passes. 3rd gear, 45mph, flashers. Sometimes slower. I took the VW bus attitude. Roll down the window, hang your arm out, lean back, put on some good tunes and relax. You'll get there when you get there.

BUT...

Had I needed to swerve really quickly to avoid something, or stop suddenly..? Game over. It wouldn't have gone well.

I'm not saying anyone here has this attitude but I see some people where I live who seem to think that if they can't drive exactly how they would without their trailer, then they don't have enough power.

If you plan to stay on flat ground, don't mind going slow, and won't be towing all over the country, but only some weekends, who cares if you're slow? If you really want to the 4cylinder it'll be fine. The issue I see is the tow capacity. You're walking a fine line there.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 07:19 PM   #20

Name: Don
Trailer: Shopping
Alabama
thanks for the input... it seems like if I want the tacoma I've either got to DIY the hitch myself or have scamp install it.

As I don't actually own a truck I'm starting to think I'll buy the truck in MN, fly up there and pick up the truck and camper and that way scamp can install the hitch and it won't be a problem. That's cheaper for me than the delivery and 48+ hours of driving to pick up the camper is not possible with my schedule right now.

I'm a little inclined to see what the 2019 ford ranger looks like as it may be a good option.

When scamp installs in the tacoma do they attach the hitch to the frame?
dcs02d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 08:44 PM   #21

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
I am hesitant to make any vehicle recommendation, but after owning a Tacoma, and looking at new Tacomaís three years ago, I found the Frontier to be less expensive, and more comfortable. When considering the Ford, donít ignore the Chevy Colorado, or Nissan.
Old 07-20-2018, 08:15 AM   #22

Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis mn View Post
I am hesitant to make any vehicle recommendation, but after owning a Tacoma, and looking at new Tacomaís three years ago, I found the Frontier to be less expensive, and more comfortable. When considering the Ford, donít ignore the Chevy Colorado, or Nissan.

I asked

I'm leaning towards the Frontier because as soon as you go to the 6cyl Toyota the price jumps up pretty good.

I'm also leaning towards just buying the truck near scamp and having them factory install the hitch.

I'll probably hold off and see what the new ranger looks like. It will be a 2.3-liter, four-cylinder turbocharged engine that will put out more power than most 6 cylinders.
Old 07-20-2018, 09:28 AM   #23

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Bigfoot B-17 CB
Washington
Yes, I was referring to the Tacoma-Scamp 19 combination that Al & Cindy K have, (post 19), and I'm considering selling my Bigfoot and getting a Scamp 19 since I saw theirs.. I really like my 07 Tacoma TRD Off the 4 liter V6, but I do would have some concerns with the newer 3.5 liter V6. I believe the 3.5 replaced the 4.0 in 2016. The 3.5 is getting some evaluations that it does not have quite enough power for towing performance. Another shortcoming or the Tacoma (all 05 to 17) is it's fuel range. When I am towing, at about 150 miles. I have to stop for fuel. The size of the fuel tank is inadequate. Best of luck with your decision.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 09:40 AM   #24

Name: Zach
Trailer: 91 Bigfoot 17
Montana
Registry
Yeah, Toyotas aren't built to tow. My biggest complaints about them have always been: Price. Gas mileage.

You can argue that a truck getting 300,000 + miles is worth the extra price, but only if you're going to drive it that long. I paid $7,000 for my 1998, in 2015 with 189,000 miles on it. Felt a little silly, but I figured I'd get good use out of it. Well, now with 240,000 and no sign of slowing down, I think I feel less silly about that price. I honestly expect to get to 300,000 without major repairs.

But that doesn't mean it's a towing machine. I've always been diehard towards Toyotas because I have never, and won't anytime soon be buying new. I always get vehicles when they're well over 100,000 miles. Even at 200,000 + I can count on them to be reliable and still feel really tight. So the most comfortable, best gas mileage and best price aren't the selling points for my situation. Someday, maybe.

I'm not unhappy with my consistent 14mpg towing with my Tacoma. But the fact that a little truck like mine with a V6 can't do better than 19mpg highway when completely unloaded is pretty lame.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 11:22 AM   #25

Name: Becca
Trailer: Scamp 5th wheel
California
We pulled our Scamp 5th wheel with a 4-cyl Tacoma for years. Not the best for hills, but Florida should be o.k. We did finally upgrade to a 6-cyl, then to a 6-cyl with crew cab and AT (getting old!). So we have had the hitch installed in three Tacomas, all of them 4WD.

I would not EVER pull our Scamp with the hitch mounted to the bed! Just put that thought right out of your mind! Composite or no, it is not safe. It needs to be mounted THROUGH the bed to the frame, with brackets either welded or bolted to the frame. Any trailer shop that knows their stuff should be able to take it on, no problem.

All that being said, I think you will find pulling the Scamp 5th wheel to be a dream! It just follows your vehicle around, never sways, and drives through high winds without complaint. Just watch your clearances!
Becca50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 11:30 AM   #26

Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca50 View Post
We pulled our Scamp 5th wheel with a 4-cyl Tacoma for years. Not the best for hills, but Florida should be o.k. We did finally upgrade to a 6-cyl, then to a 6-cyl with crew cab and AT (getting old!). So we have had the hitch installed in three Tacomas, all of them 4WD.

I would not EVER pull our Scamp with the hitch mounted to the bed! Just put that thought right out of your mind! Composite or no, it is not safe. It needs to be mounted THROUGH the bed to the frame, with brackets either welded or bolted to the frame. Any trailer shop that knows their stuff should be able to take it on, no problem.

All that being said, I think you will find pulling the Scamp 5th wheel to be a dream! It just follows your vehicle around, never sways, and drives through high winds without complaint. Just watch your clearances!

When Scamp installs the hitch do they mount it to the frame?
Old 07-25-2018, 01:45 PM   #27

Name: Blake
Trailer: in the market
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcs02d View Post
So that is exactly the case

I live in Florida and for the next 5 years or so I'm limited in my radius of travel (kids are not quite out of the house yet!) so all my time is spent on trips that are +/- about 300 feet in elevation.

The local hitch guy seems adamant he won't install that hitch in anything that is not a full size truck with a long bed.

I'm becoming convinced it's fine in that little Tacoma assuming the hitch is bolted to the frame below.

I'm just not 100% sure if

- that is possible

- I can find someone to do that install for me
This ďlocal hitch guyĒ sounds like an old school, you shouldnít tow anything with less than a 1 ton yuppie. With advancements in technology: engine, suspension, braking, lighter weight campers, etc. Towing does not need to be done with the biggest vehicle out there thatís offered.
LoneWolf04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 03:08 PM   #28

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping for new RV
North Carolina
For towing get the V6 Tacoma.....rated at 6,500lbs towing.

Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote