New Tacoma / 5th wheel hitch - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-19-2018, 07:50 AM   #1

Name: Don
Trailer: Shopping
Alabama
New Tacoma / 5th wheel hitch

I've got a Scamp 5th wheel coming in April of Next year.

I'm looking at the Toyota Tacoma SR with the access cab to get as a tow vehicle. Probably the 4 cylinder that is rated for towing 3500lbs.

It looks like the truck bed itself is now made out of a composite material.

Has anyone had the 5th wheel (I know it's not REALLY a 5th wheel hitch installed in a new tacoma with the short bed? Will it work?

Thanks for the help.
dcs02d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 08:03 AM   #2

Name: Mark
Trailer: 2005 17' Casita LD
Oregon
I bet that it would but when we asked, Toyota stated that that would invalidate out warranty.
MlDierbeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 08:09 AM   #3

Alabama
ugh... I like that little 4 cylinder but I can't get a clear answer on the composite bed.
Old 07-19-2018, 08:19 AM   #4

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
Not sure about the most current Toyota engines, but at least for a while there the V6s were the better engines, by far. Historically the 4 cylinders were always best and were all I ever wanted to own, and the first V6 they made for pickups, the 3.0, was a bit of a dud by Toyota standards.

For reasons that don't matter to this thread, I reluctantly bought a 98 with a V6, the 3.4. It's without a doubt the best engine Toyota ever made up to that point. Like I said I don't know about the newer engines, but people are getting 400,000 miles with no major repairs out of this V6. I'm at 240,000. Only routine maintenance so far. Original clutch but that's another thing.

Anyway...you've really got to watch the payload limit on Toyotas. I don't have any input on the composite bed.

Just wanted to say don't write off the V6!
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 08:20 AM   #5

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
It can be done, I think you need to drill through the composite, and fasten the Reese rails to the frame with brackets provided. My previous tow vehicle was an earlier Tacoma with a metal bed. I mounted the old style hitch directly to the floor. That led to a bit of uncomfortable movement when towing. With my Frontier, I have fastened the hitch to the frame, and it feels much more secure. The short box should be of no issue. I have had quad cabs with 5’ beds, and the work just fine.
Old 07-19-2018, 10:30 AM   #6

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
I have seen a 5th wheel hitch in a Tacoma and pulling a Scamp 19. It worked well. The Tacoma had 4WD a TRD Off Road package and the V6. The hitch was custom built and consisted of a steel plate that covered the composite bed and was bolted to the frame by drilling thru the steel plate and using the same holes as the composite bed used. I would certainly consider this set up with my 07 Tacoma 4x4, but I personally would not be comfortable with the 4 cylinder engine.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 10:49 AM   #7

Alabama
Hrmm... maybe the frontier is a better option. Or perhaps I should wait and see what the ford ranger ends up looking like.
Old 07-19-2018, 10:52 AM   #8

Name: Robert
Trailer: Scamp
Virginia
I would not pull the Scamp 5th wheel with a 4 cylinder Tacoma. I had a V-8 Tundra and in the mountains you really needed it.

You can mount the hitch to the frame by using the bolt locations that mount the bed to the frame. Others have done this in their Tacoma's I did it in my Tundra. There are descriptions & pictures in the Yahoo Scamp user group site. I'll try to attach a picture here. You could do this with the old or new style hitch. Good luck.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0211[1].jpg  
bertherr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 01:07 PM   #9

Alabama
The trailer shop in town said they won't install that hitch in any tacoma or any short bed truck for that matter.

Scamp says it's fine. It's not something I want to do myself.

Considering buying the truck in Minneapolis... flying up and having scamp install the darn hitch.
Old 07-19-2018, 02:12 PM   #10

Name: Barb
Trailer: Trillium Outback 2004
British Columbia
Registry
4 cyl Tacoma Tow

If I were you I would reconsider buying a 4 cyl. as your tow for the 5th wheel. Yes, the tow capacity is 3500 lbs. but will only be a satisfactory vehicle if you are always driving on the flat land! I have a 4 cyl. Tacoma and tow a Trillium Outback 13 ft. and it's really not enough even with a standard transmission. I had the truck before I purchased the trailer otherwise I would have gone with the 6 cyl.
Old 07-19-2018, 02:44 PM   #11

Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbinBC View Post
.... will only be a satisfactory vehicle if you are always driving on the flat land!

So that is exactly the case

I live in Florida and for the next 5 years or so I'm limited in my radius of travel (kids are not quite out of the house yet!) so all my time is spent on trips that are +/- about 300 feet in elevation.

The local hitch guy seems adamant he won't install that hitch in anything that is not a full size truck with a long bed.

I'm becoming convinced it's fine in that little Tacoma assuming the hitch is bolted to the frame below.

I'm just not 100% sure if

- that is possible

- I can find someone to do that install for me
Old 07-19-2018, 03:20 PM   #12

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcs02d View Post
The trailer shop in town said they won't install that hitch in any tacoma or any short bed truck for that matter.

Scamp says it's fine. It's not something I want to do myself.

Considering buying the truck in Minneapolis... flying up and having scamp install the darn hitch.
My local hitch shop would not mount a 5th wheel hitch on my Ram 1500 because Ram says the truck is not rated for 5th wheel towing
The problem is not that they can’t install a hitch it’s more of a legal liability and warranty issue
I think the 4 cylinder engine is a poor choice but it’s not my vehicle .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 03:21 PM   #13

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcs02d View Post
- I can find someone to do that install for me
Give him a few dollars and agree to hold his beer, Bubba will fix you right up. Be sure to post the video!
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 04:05 PM   #14

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Don,

This issue about the hitch sounds similar to the situation I encountered when we were considering an Escape 5.0TA and a Chevy Colorado or GMC Canyon diesel truck last year. Chevy / GM 'took exception' to mounting a hitch in the bed; I don't recall how strong their language was. However, I believe that the owners who were doing so were generally happy with the results.

There's a range of terms used when manufacturers address aftermarket accessories, from not specifically recommending them to issuing stronger language specifically recommending against their use. There are a number of threads on the subject on various forums, with broadly varying opinions posted as to what impact this might have on the new truck's warranty.

You might download manuals and contact manufacturers via dealerships to get the clearest answers you can as to whether each brand's language is intended to merely be neutral, or to expressly recommend against or prohibit a bed-mounted hitch. From there you can work to try and clarify the subsequent consequences which might apply to the drivetrain warranty and such.

Vehicle owner manuals often specify a limit for the trailer's frontal area. Flat ground or no, the aerodynamic resistance of the trailer when towing with a 157 HP engine will also be a factor for you to consider. The intended travel radius and traffic conditions will also impact how suitable this might be.

Beyond that, you could run searches on Google and read any forum posts that you can find from people with similar experiences.

I hope you find a combination that meets your expectations. Please consider posting your impressions on this forum once you find out whether your choice met your expectations.

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 04:09 PM   #15

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Took me six years to get a response to Toyota "does not recommend a WDH". They said they don't have a relationship with a WDH manufacturer, so they don't recommend one.
Dealer has checked WDH receiver while in for service and declared it A-OK.
Old 07-19-2018, 04:12 PM   #16

Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Took me six years to get a response to Toyota "does not recommend a WDH". They said they don't have a relationship with a WDH manufacturer, so they don't recommend one.
Dealer has checked WDH receiver while in for service and declared it A-OK.
Yes, this was the exact experience I had in mind when I posted my mouth-full-of-marbles version concerning the language that manufacturers use...

Old 07-19-2018, 04:20 PM   #17

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
Congrats on the new camper; I'm sure April will seem to be a long time coming. Toyota has used composite bed in their Tacomas since at least 2005 and I;m aware of several owners who tow Scamp 19's with them.

The picture in post #8 is of my 05. That same hitch was transferred to my 12 when I purchased it. NOTE: The dealership, Geenville Toyota, made the switch when I traded and I've never had a problem with the few warranty issues that have come up. Between the two trucks, I'd estimate at least 100K miles of towing with no problems. I'd also guess Jack is referring to my setup in post #6 as we camped together on last year's SUT. Hi Jack - hope things are well.

I built the hitch myself from scraps laying around the shop and I'm certainly not a skilled fabricator. I did have access to a metal bandsaw, heavy duty drill and air tools. No holes were drilled in the bed and the truck can be easily returned to stock in 15-20 minutes. The hitch is firmly mounted using the six existing bolts that hold the bed on the chassis. Look in the back of a Tacoma and these are easily identified as they have large torx heads.

We were at the factory in Backus last Fall having the awning replaced and I discussed the setup in some detail with a couple of their techs. They saw no problems with what I'd done.

I don't have any direct experience with the 4 cyl as both my Tacomas were double cab, short (60") bed, 4.0L, auto, 4WD with the TRD Offroad and tow packages. I will say that our D19 weighs in at over 3300 lbs in camping trim,

Drop me a PM with your phone number and I'll be glad to give you a call to discuss this in more detail if you'd like.

Al
Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 04:38 PM   #18

Puget Sound, WA
Registry
This thread on a Tacoma forum shows Al's installation and another hitch arrangement which involved modifying the Scamp 19's hitch.

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/...-scamp.223474/
Attached Thumbnails
Zummie Scamp 19 hitch 01.jpg   Zummie Scamp 19 hitch 02.jpg  

Old 07-19-2018, 05:09 PM   #19

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
What it comes down to is being safe. And though the argument can be made that power can come in to play in the safety equation, it's more of a "stopping power" and stability thing. If you're over the vehicle payload limit, tow limit (or right up against the limit), or how much the brakes can safely, quickly stop, then it's really not a good idea.

BUT...

Having come here from the land of Toyota motorhomes, I can see the other side. I had a 78 Chinook and it was way overloaded, and powered by a 2.2L 4cylinder engine.

I drove that thing all over the west, and to Minneapolis and back. Over Vail Pass (10,000ft), and dozens of other passes. 3rd gear, 45mph, flashers. Sometimes slower. I took the VW bus attitude. Roll down the window, hang your arm out, lean back, put on some good tunes and relax. You'll get there when you get there.

BUT...

Had I needed to swerve really quickly to avoid something, or stop suddenly..? Game over. It wouldn't have gone well.

I'm not saying anyone here has this attitude but I see some people where I live who seem to think that if they can't drive exactly how they would without their trailer, then they don't have enough power.

If you plan to stay on flat ground, don't mind going slow, and won't be towing all over the country, but only some weekends, who cares if you're slow? If you really want to the 4cylinder it'll be fine. The issue I see is the tow capacity. You're walking a fine line there.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 06:19 PM   #20

Alabama
thanks for the input... it seems like if I want the tacoma I've either got to DIY the hitch myself or have scamp install it.

As I don't actually own a truck I'm starting to think I'll buy the truck in MN, fly up there and pick up the truck and camper and that way scamp can install the hitch and it won't be a problem. That's cheaper for me than the delivery and 48+ hours of driving to pick up the camper is not possible with my schedule right now.

I'm a little inclined to see what the 2019 ford ranger looks like as it may be a good option.

When scamp installs in the tacoma do they attach the hitch to the frame?